Thread: Stuck on side of road

turbo addict

Stuck on side of road

Van cuts out any time I give it throttle. Is idling fine at the momen but as soon as I try to move it cuts in and out randomly. No codes to speak of only 12 33 and 55. Check engine light comes on and fan relay kicks on when it cuts out. Almost seems as if ecm is turning on and off. sometimes will stall then not restart unless you cycle the key.

Tried moving wiring harnesses around to aggrivate it but nothing really makes it better or worse.

Sometimes letting it rest for a bit and cool down helps but sometimes not.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Stuck on side of road

Interesting that it idles OK but dies on throttle... almost like its not getting enough fuel so it chokes out. Fuel pump on? relay and wiring OK?

Definitely check the wiring for the hard start. Is the computer hot? maybe hall effect?

for reference code 33:

http://minimopar.net/fault/code33.html

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

making it more weird, sat and idled for 10 minutes and noticed it quit cutting out. tried it out and it drives normal now...
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Hybrid booster

Got some bad fuel in the tank last fill up, or a little title water in the line?

turbo addict

I had just got fuel when it happened but it seems more electrical since the tach jumps, relays click, fan turns on. I don't notice any dips on the wideband. I pulled a plug and it was black. the coil is a little old and is a junkyard one, ill try to swap coils and see what happens.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

On the turbovans, there is a ground wire attached under the battery tray. Being under the battery, the little sheet metal screw holding it to the body can rust or even break the screw due to battery acid. On acceleration then, the eyelet on the wire can get intermittent contact with the body and cause all kinds of issues.

You can't see that wire from above due to the battery tray, and you can't see it from below without removing the splash shields.

I had the same thing happen to my van. Took me forever to find that ground line. I moved it up to the top of the rad support just so I could see it better.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

Can you raise RPM okay while at a standstill? Or does it stutter only during an actual load?

Does the stuttering happen INSTANTLY on load? If so, then its unlikely fuel related unless its injector electrical problems. There is pressurized fuel in the rail an it doesn't get consumed instantly when you take off from a standstill.

Check engine light coming on should mean a relevant code is being stored. Can you erase the codes then get it to stutter, then see what codes are stored?

Measure battery voltage during idle at the POSTS (not connectors). Perhaps the terminals are extremely corroded or loose?

I've had a dying alternator cause cut outs and backfires. I never did figure out how a dying alternator could effect the ECU in that way but somehow it did. So dont rule that out.

turbo addict

Took it for a drive to figure it out. Died again and would't restart. When I got out to check under the hood I heard the fuel pump prime when I slammed the door. Opened the hood and and every time you touched the smec all the relays clicked and the fuel pump primed. Found the 16way power module connector was worn out not making contact anymore, squeezed all the terminals with a pair of pliers and its fixed. Would like to find a good connector eventually though.

turbo addict

when you get the connector don't jam anything into the barrels of the connector thinking your going to scrape em clean

there's a small tang inside the barrel that actually makes the contact to the pin on the computer - jaming something in there bends the tangs and prevents contact

walked back out into my garage one night to find a buddy reaming out the barrels in the plugs to his power module one night with my torch tip cleaner tool
    needless to say he was here late that night scroungeing some new plugs off another harness and spliceing them in

turbo addict

Did it again on the way home, messed with the PM connector and it went until half way to work the next day and cut out again. Bent the little internal tabs of the connector in this time and it didn't change. Plugged in a different PM and it ran fine for the most part, hiccuped a few times the rest of the way. Still not completely sure what is going on. When it is acting up it seems that the vibrations at 3000rpm aggrivate it, If I stay above or below 3k it's manageable until I pull over or it just dies alltogether. Im going to try socketing my spare ecm and flash a chip to see if it's the flashable smec. Hope it's not the smec 60way.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

The SMEC 60 way connector plug is the same as an SBEC is it not ?
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?