Thread: TQ Converter Hitting Crank!

Hybrid booster

Exclamation TQ Converter Hitting Crank!

Well this would explain the deep hollow knocking sound coming from the engine! lol.

Sorry I dont know the proper names of this stuff. The nose of the converter seemed to be making alot of contact with that recess inside the end of the crank. There was alot of metal powder/flake in there and the nose on the converter seems to have a nice ring wore all around the nose.

EVERYTHING was tight,crank and converter bolts,I know I just had to reef them off! The guide pins were in the transmission when I bolted the engine to it.

The install went well but it seemed to have trouble getting one bolt into the converter.. it seemed like the hole was too far away.. I had to tighten up the other three converter bolts in order to start the fourth one.. ???

SO I went and got another flexplate from the junkyard BUT the teeth on the outside of it(where starter engages) seem thinner than the one I took off the van. N/A flexplate??

I also got another converter out of an 89 Turbo mini,it looks like a brand new replacement,(nicely painted).

Number on the OUSIDE face of the NEW converter is E34K3, and on the old one, A98K2.

^ Anyone have info on these #'s?

I can seem to pick out anything WRONG?! (ME DUMB??) I'll bolt it back togather with the new stuff..after I get some feedback here.

Any help?

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Re: TQ Converter Hitting Crank!

I'm pretty sure the convertor usually seats itself in the back of the crank so it shouldn't be all loose and rattling around in there unless something is wrong.

Usually all the Torque convertor bolts go in by hand easily.

My concern now would be whether or not the damaged convertor nose is going to cause problems with a new flywheel. since it's possible for he convertor to be bolted down a little off center.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I bet you have the flexplate on backwards. Its supposed to sit in there but if theres powder, its moving around so that means the above, the TC bolts were loose or the flexplate isn't tightened to the crank properly.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

It kind of Looks like the bushing for a manual trans has been installed into your crank.

Are you sure the flexplate was on right way around? It shouldn't possible to install it backwards, but if you did you might get that problem...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Hybrid booster

I also got another converter out of an 89 Turbo mini,it looks like a brand new replacement,(nicely painted).
    I now have a new torque converter.

I'm pretty sure the convertor usually seats itself in the back of the crank so it shouldn't be all loose and rattling around in there unless something is wrong.
    ^ As you said.

MAYBE this converter was previously damaged due to it being run loose.

Nice. Thanks, I am thinkin now.

Hybrid booster

I istalled the flexplate with the WELDS facing AWAY from the engine.

SO it offsets the flexplate closer to the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by BARRON View Post
    I istalled the flexplate with the WELDS facing AWAY from the engine.

SO it offsets the flexplate closer to the engine.

That sounds right, the weights go away from the engine. It could be you got a bad TC,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hybrid booster

One or two more questions. View the pic below. This is the new torque converter I attained for $50 canadian! :-)

In the BOTTOM of the pic is the two flexplates. You can see that the teeth on my origonal flexplate is WIDER that on the one I bought. What does this mean,and will it cause me trouble? Thanks people!

Hybrid booster

I am coming to the conclusion that some time during this van's later life, the converter or flexplate was run loose for an extended amount of time,beating off and wearing down the nose of the converter,NOW the old converter wont center because its all wore out.. and will NEVER work.

Hoping the new converter will fix everything!

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor DBB mini's Avatar

The variation in thickness is probably due to loose tolerances on the thickness. One machine shop may hit the top of tolerance (thicker) another shop may hit the bottom of tolerance (thinner). I really doubt you have a problem from it. Set it on the crank, without the bolts & see if you spin it around, make sure it clears the block & trans case everywhere. Good luck

Hybrid booster

tolerance of what? the recess in the end of the crank? or the nose on the front of the converter?

turbo addict

tolerance of the teeth when it was made

Hybrid booster

OK! Great! Thanks for the clarification dude. Reinstalling trans today. Finally stopped raining!!

Hybrid booster

Got all the replacement parts back togather. Feels like this may be a N/A converter. Feels like the stall speed is lower.

But, overall good power, no more knock. Sounds like a normal TD now. Turbo whistle and you can hear the engine a little bit. They always have that noise..low,growly,HEAVY rattle sorta noise. Also it runs a bit smoother,a little less vibration but I can tell the CB shafts are removed... oh well.

I am pretty happy now tho cause its nice to have my toy back in action. I was out driving it with the hood off hehe! No wonder the engine sounded a little noisy.

Sounds good. What RPM do you hit if you hold the brake on in gear and hit the gas. It should hit around 3500 rpm.

Hybrid booster

LOL! I havent got THAT aggressive with it simon! I usually brake boost to about 2000Rpm. It will go higher I think.. but it sure wants to go after 2000rpm. About the most I ever brake boosted to was like 2500rpm when I was a little nervous in my first race against the 03' Sunfire. I lost the race cause I sat there spinning for about 3-4 seconds!!

Hybrid booster

Anyways... All seems well now. Went out for a lil drive tonight.. video'd some of it.. batteries in the camera went dead.

Here is what it sounded like before I fixed the converter. Hear the ghastly knocking on the LOW rpms? And how abnormally ROUGH the engine sounded?
    http://media.putfile.com/pulls-90

Here is tonight.. after the fix. I mean.. its as quiet as a 2.5 without CB shafts and the hood missing can be!

Its short,mild takeoff... and the camera batteries died.

http://media.putfile.com/jaunt

WOOOHOO!! Were TD'n again!!

I forgot how rough these motors sound.. they are quite ..unrefined sounding... hohoo.. but DO the EVER GO!!

Quote Originally Posted by BARRON View Post
    LOL! I havent got THAT aggressive with it simon! I usually brake boost to about 2000Rpm. It will go higher I think.. but it sure wants to go after 2000rpm. About the most I ever brake boosted to was like 2500rpm when I was a little nervous in my first race against the 03' Sunfire. I lost the race cause I sat there spinning for about 3-4 seconds!!
    Thats not aggressive, I hold 10-15 psi at the starting line when drag racing,

Hybrid booster

With all respect sir...I'm not wanting to tempt fate right now!

Besides... I SEEN ALL YOUR... "O CRAP IT BROKE!".... POSTS!! LOL!