Thread: intercooler thickness. How thick before it loses effeciency?

Hybrid booster

intercooler thickness. How thick before it loses effeciency?

Just picked up a cooler that's overall a little bigger than the precision unit on my truck now but instead of 3" thick its more like 4.5"to 5". I didn't have a tape measure handy but it's definitely more than an inch thicker. I was debating on running a separate cooling fan on it to help pull more air through which shouldn't hurt anyways but is it necessary?

Thanks guys.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: intercooler thickness. How thick before it loses effeciency?

I'd run a motorcycle radiator fan on it, maybe with a Hobbes switch as boost comes on.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    I'd run a motorcycle radiator fan on it, maybe with a Hobbes switch as boost comes on.
    I figured it have it kick on with my regular fan for the radiator. AZ gets super hot. Pics too when I can.

turbo addict

Once upon a time Spearco had nice charts for all their intercoolers that showed pressure drop by PSI and efficiency of intercoolers by MPH across core. It was pretty interesting. The beauty of the thicker core is why it may not be seeing full ambient air temp. all the way through the core, it most certainly is acting as a great heat sink.
    Todd

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I now think of intercoolers as having two distinct functions: First, to soak heat out of the charge air, and Second, to transfer the heat to outside air.

Those two things could happen at substantially different rates. The first is definitely the more important of the two for a street car that never sees full power for more than 15 seconds at a time.

One situation that is analogous to the 4"+ thick intercooler core in question is the people who have doubled up stock T2-style intercoolers to be double thick and still fit in the stock location. 2.216vturbo did one on his rampage and claimed a lot of power gain by the butt dyno. There is a guy named SVOdave who had one in his lancer which worked well enough for ~13 second power levels before he sold the car and it was sort of de-modded (i now own that intercooler but havent used it yet).

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

How much of that pressure drop is mitigated by PV=NRT? Pressure drop is often talked about as a measurement of restriction but I don't see a large intercooler causing increased restriction, just delayed response. Say your little "well designed" intercooler has low pressure drop, then run twice the air through it and see what happens. Try the same amounts of airflow with a giant intercooler. Then think about the exchange of heat, density of air vs actual air pressure, etc.

I wouldn't fit an intercooler that large on a car making 1/3 the HP it might support. I like the idea of going bigger but a 12x3 is bigger than any stockish setups need and sufficient for most everyone at the top. The problem would really be if they heat soak or not and if the surface area of all the internal and external fins working together with the airflow that you are able to FORCE through the intercooler to will be enough for the heat you need to get out.

The dyno record holding Subaru back in ~2008 had a cheap 12x4 intercooler that worked fine on the dyno but at the end of the 1/4 it would heat soak and cause problems...and that was not even full boost.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Good points all around, that said, ditto me. lol
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."

Hybrid booster

Good points all around, that said, ditto me. lol
    So then, next question, build a shroud for it or leave it open air around the two fans? I'm opting for a fiberglass shroud probably since I work with a guy who can glass anything.

Ducting. That would make you one of the 1% of people who actually install their intercooler correctly. I never have bothered.
    Last edited by Ondonti; 12-04-2014 at 07:19 AM.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Most of the motorcycle fans come with their own limited shrouds which also serve as mounting brackets. That is, they come with light sheet metal stampings that both shroud the fan and mount the fan motor and typically they also have nuts welded to the brackets. So . . . you can adapt them, weld on them, extend them, shorten them, and so on.

A fan could block air too Since at some speed the wind through the IC might possibly exceed the capacity of a fan, maybe don't shroud completely, figuring that that the fan with its limited but focused shrouding is going to suck heat out of at least half of your intercooler's area. If you can fit two fans, then . . .. yeah a full shroud might be best.

Also, if there is a way to shroud, or focus, the incoming air at the front of the car, I'd do that too, and then take that into consideration regarding the fan.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Here are two Denso fans from a couple of Kawasaki 500 twins that were at the junkyard. I trimmed the shrouds' brackets, used the tin I cut off to make the mounting brackets, and split some 1/8th rubber tube to cushion/seal the shrouds' contact with this air/water IC heat exchanger. This exchanger is not very thick, so the exercise is likely unnecessary but . . . . every little bit helps . . . and it's fun to talk about.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dual Ht Exchanger Fans.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	52305  
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Sorry, by shroud I really meant ducting towards the intercooler, that is what people should be doing

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Fan shrouds can boost the efficiency of a fan greatly at low vehicle speeds, but can become a restriction at higher vehicle speeds.

Many circle track cars and road race cars do not use back side fan shrouds to maximize airflow at high speeds.

Street cars that spend time a lot of time at low-or no-speed benefit from fan shrouds the most, but even the OE's have incorporated flaps in the fan shrouds that open up to let air through when there is more ram air available than the fan can flow.

Brent's suggestion for proper front-side ducting is key. The intercooler core itself is a restriction to ambient airflow. Don't give the air an easy path to flow right around it, because it will take it.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

Now that you mention it, my neon had flaps. I have not seen any modern mopars with flaps though.

Hybrid booster

The Dart has active grill shutters.

turbo addict

That does the opposite of the flaps though. It restricts radiator flow to increase aerodynamics whereas the flaps in the cooling fan shroud increase flow through the radiator at highway speed.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    I now think of intercoolers as having two distinct functions: First, to soak heat out of the charge air, and Second, to transfer the heat to outside air.

Those two things could happen at substantially different rates. The first is definitely the more important of the two for a street car that never sees full power for more than 15 seconds at a time.

One situation that is analogous to the 4"+ thick intercooler core in question is the people who have doubled up stock T2-style intercoolers to be double thick and still fit in the stock location. 2.216vturbo did one on his rampage and claimed a lot of power gain by the butt dyno. There is a guy named SVOdave who had one in his lancer which worked well enough for ~13 second power levels before he sold the car and it was sort of de-modded (i now own that intercooler but havent used it yet).
    No I didn't dyno it before or after but this helped a ton
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP1574.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	519.4 KB 
ID:	52308   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP1571.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	503.1 KB 
ID:	52309   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP1569.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	510.3 KB 
ID:	52310   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP1570.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	521.5 KB 
ID:	52311  

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

^and you even passed the California smog natzi visual inspection with it! I think?