Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parting out broken A523

turbo addict

Parting out broken A523

I stripped 3rd so the input shaft is toast, but there are alot of other parts.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: Parting out broken A523

On the remaining gears and synchronizer sliding collars what do all the little teeth look like? Are they rounded over/ground off or still nice and sharp? Is the ring and pinion gear available and if so do you know the final drive ratio? Thanks

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    On the remaining gears and synchronizer sliding collars what do all the little teeth look like? Are they rounded over/ground off or still nice and sharp? Is the ring and pinion gear available and if so do you know the final drive ratio? Thanks
    the ring and pinion are gone, but I have some of the gears and the sliding collars left. I've definitely sold some of them though so its not a full set. All look to have great condition teeth, except for 3rd lol

Which ones are you interested in? Are the sync collars made of brass and only brass? Because I see some similar looking parts that are steel. I have two of the brass parts left.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

864014.jpg brand new or really good condition.
    864012.jpg Trashed condition, scrap metal. I would imagine the ones in that transmission are somewhere in-between condition-wise.

How much for the case and all the covers/bolts ?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    864014.jpg brand new or really good condition.
    864012.jpg Trashed condition, scrap metal. I would imagine the ones in that transmission are somewhere in-between condition-wise.

How much for the case and all the covers/bolts ?
    Okay I'll use those pics and compare, and take pics of the condition of what I have.

There are alot of "gear looking" parts, exactly which are you looking for? Just the pieces that have the teeth in your pic and the actual gear teeth that transmit power shaft to shaft? As well as the brass rings?

The major cost of the case and covers will be shipping. Can you PM me your shipping address and I'll try to figure out the cheapest way.

turbo addict

damn, i stripped third on mine too, what year? early small spline clutch or later large spline clutch?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by OmniLuvr View Post
    damn, i stripped third on mine too, what year? early small spline clutch or later large spline clutch?
    I believe small spline because I swapped to an A568 and kept the same clutch..although Im not sure if that proves its small spline or not

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Kind of impossible to say based on you keeping the same clutch disc. Both the A523 and A568 used the smaller input shaft in '90 and they both went to the larger input shaft for '91 up.

The larger input shaft has 17 splines (~7/8"). The smaller has 18 (3/4").

turbo addict

^yup! ive been told the later 523 are stronger and i hope thats the case because ive got 2 93's, the one i blew up was early 90 small spline, i was pretty bummed, lasted about as long as my 525 (but i was throwing a little more power at it, even though not half as much as i thought it could take).

turbo addict

bump!!

here we go again..I definitely have the big box of parts still (ring and pinion are GONE)

I see some brass synchro rings and some of them have very good looking teeth

Tell me what you want and how to identify it in my box of parts and its yours!!!

turbo addict

$100 + actual shipping charges takes ALL OF IT

Not sure how much shipping will be, but I can get you a final quote on it if you PM me your address and whether its residential/commercial

And of course I can confirm/deny the presence of certain items in the box if you like, w/ pics.

I think I'd just ship it in the box its in, which is what it came in. A huge rubbermaid style container with a lid.

turbo addict

heres what I have left as of today 6/5/15

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

PM sent

turbo addict

Shifter assy SOLD!

turbo addict

bump! some deals:

whatever you (well, I, but your choice) can fit into the priority mail flat rate box of your choice, $75 + shipping!

that could easily be the 2 brass synchro rings, 2 steel synchro rings, the diff (no ring gear), 2 shift forks, 3 shift fork pads, random gears/cones, etc..

keep in mind I have the shoe-box flat rate box, which is more square and might fit bigger things, as well as the usual flat rate boxes

and if FEDEX or another USPS shipping method is actually cheaper, we can do that instead if you want

turbo addict

Use it as mock up for crash box modification services....

Here is an example of the modification, every other dog tooth is taken off the speed gears, the same is done to the synchro sliders...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-72-Borg...-/121623895361
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

turbo addict

last call! make an offer!

or

anything you want shipped in a small flat rate box, $45 shipped! (that could easily be all the synchro rings, pads, and maybe gears/forks?

or take all of it for $75 + actual s/h (I can tell you beforehand what that will be)

cant believe I may actually end up throwing good condition 523 synchros in the trash......

everything in the above pictures is still there except the shifter housing I believe...

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

If the 2nd gear is the same as a 543 and is in good shape, I'd be interested in it.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    If the 2nd gear is the same as a 543 and is in good shape, I'd be interested in it.
    okay if I am interpreting the parts manual correctly:

my tranny is 4446238, an A543 is 4505317 , and it lists 2nd gear as the same for those two part number trannies

the next question is..do I still have it...how do I positively identify which of the pieces is 2nd gear?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

It's a steel gear with synchro teeth on it.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast