Thread: dremel/die grinder recommendations

turbo addict

dremel/die grinder recommendations

Looking to pick up a dremel/die grinder for some light port work. Electric would be preferable since I only have access to air at work.

turbo addict

Re: dremel/die grinder recommendations

unless dremel has radically changed their inner design it won't last long

dremel uses a plastic inner drive shaft to connect the motor to the collet mount

the driveshaft has flutes in it's inner diameter that fit drive gears that have teeth shaped like the lobes in a supercharger

these plastic shafts are nylon , flexable to absorb inpact and vibration and this part fails when over heated - due to it unique shape you almost have to replace it with the same failure prone part

almost - if you can find an older dremel with the slide button to lock the shaft when changeing tool bits then there's a mod that will make it work better
    (the ones with the round press button Idono about)

the slide lock button style can be fixed / modded with a piece of rubber hose - IF you can find a piece with the correct wall thickness , correct inner dia and correct outter dia

diameter is important because if to big you either won't get the case back together or it will drag against the inside of the case once you do

I fixed mine like this over 20 years ago - thus mine is definately the older style dremel

the piece of hose I used was just small enough to work but tight enough that any pressure on the lock button slows the motor

it made the dremel into a real tool to as now it will take on reasonably heavy work without failing because of the shaft

for grinding / cutting aluminum I'd strongly suggest somthing else than a new outta the box dremel - it prob (likely) won't last as long as it would take to do your porting
    -laughable idea really

also anything that looks exactly the same as the dremel with another name like sears on it - is a dremel

turbo addict

what about this from Horrible Fate?

http://www.harborfreight.com/bench-g...aft-43533.html

boostaholic

that looks like a toy. for real port work a true die grinder like a dewalt dw 888 is the only way to go.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
    that looks like a toy. for real port work a true die grinder like a dewalt dw 888 is the only way to go.
    yeah the HF one is a joke.

I dont like the full size die grinders for porting though. Its big, heavy, loud, etc.. theres gotta be a better tool. Something you hold with a pencil but still has enough power to do the job. Maybe a foredom flex shaft grinder? I think they're USA made and they seem to have a good reputation although I've never used one. 18,000 rpm, foot speed control, pencil like so you can get in there and work without a big object in your way.

Plus they have a high resale value so buy it used on craigslist, do you stuff, then liquidate it and end up paying nothing.

http://www.foredom.net/k2272.aspx

boostaholic

I could be wrong but I dont know that shaft drive has the guts for port work. Maybe it does....

turbo addict

I burned through a few Dremels before I gave up on them. I wasn't even doing anything difficult. I bought a Rotozip but never really tried it out.

Hybrid booster

I've got an older Black and Decker rotary tool that has been put through hell cutting things it was never designed for and is still kicking after 10 years.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

The Foredom is very good, great control for precise work, little slow compared to an air grinder but much easier on the hands. The 1/6HP is not enough, step up to the 1/3HP for not much more $. I've had mine for 10+ years and is still fine but decided to step up to the best, Dumore, series 6, 1/4HP flex-shaft , this thing is a beast and will last the rest of my life

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Full size Dumore - mass is your friend, helps control burr bounce and the length gives you leverage, not to bear down, but for control. Also, smoothness, low vibration, easier on your bones.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

I like the dewalt dw887.

Garrett booster

i have an old sears rotary use it all the time.. keeps going

looks like this onehttp://www.ebay.com/itm/SEARS-CRAFTS...item2345fcc3e2

turbo addict

If you lean towards an air die grinder I would shop around carefully and buy only units that you can hear run before you buy. As John stated the vibration, smoothness, as well as the decibel level is important. Weight is also a consideration for me. I bought a couple Snap On Blue Points and a CP that run super quiet. I have other cheaper import ones that I won't even use anymore due to needing to put earplugs in. They also vibrate much more. Those are the ones I loan out (lol).
    Todd

turbo addict

I borrow a coworkers kobalt die grinder when I do lift kits on new rams and it works pretty good. I just don't have an air compressor at my house (yet).

turbo addict

The 2.5 gallon one I got for free doesn't count.

Die grinders can be compressor killers if you do much work with it. Especially with a smaller compressor...