Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shelby Lancer #127

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Re: Shelby Lancer #127

Too bad only 1 lines up.
    I guess you can't get the same flange without the inner resessed holes drilled? Then you could have your machine shop put them in where you need.
    That is, if you ever may want to go back. If not, your plan to properly weld the flange, surface it and redrill the other three sounds appropriate.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Too bad only 1 lines up.
    I guess you can't get the same flange without the inner resessed holes drilled? Then you could have your machine shop put them in where you need.
    That is, if you ever may want to go back. If not, your plan to properly weld the flange, surface it and redrill the other three sounds appropriate.
    Yeah, I'll just save it for a future upgrade and use the stock IHI turbo for now. I tried some of the other Masi 16v exhaust manifolds I have and every one had the same problem.

I got some more stuff done with it this weekend. I got the new push-pull shifter cables installed and adjusted. LOVE these things! I've had an A568 in the SL for a long time and the stock cables always felt mushy, as if the shifter was stirring a big pot of molasses. With the Push-Pull cables, it feels much more precise and a lot easier as far as effort.

I got the stock turbo/exhaust manifold installed as well. It was actually pretty easy to install it myself as a unit other than the fact that there are 16 studs and nuts attaching it to the cylinder head. I cleaned and painted the compressor housing with Eastwood 'Alumiblast' and also cleaned and painted the waste gate bracket and turbo oil/coolant lines with NAPA black engine enamel. I've had a hard time locating the proper 'hi flow' 12mm x 1.25 banjo bolts to replace the crusty stock banjo bolts that are used for the turbo coolant lines and cylinder head oil drain tube. I finally found some on eBay so installing all the lines and tubes will have to wait till next week.

Other than that, I removed the entire 3" exhaust system that was on the car and installed the stock Masi 16v down pipe. Kind of a bummer that I'm downgrading the turbo and down pipe in order to have a Masi 16v (for now), but oh well. I also installed a new clutch cable with a new poly cable grommet from polybushings.com and a remanufactured Nippondenso starter motor.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0014.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	60581Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0024.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	60582Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0025.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	60583Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0026.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	60584Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0027.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	60585Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0028.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	60586Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0039.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	60587Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0040.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	60588

exhaust manifold gaskets: Cometic EX557064AM
    exhaust manifold studs: Dorman 675-579 8mm x 1.25 double ended stud
    exhaust manifold nuts: Pegasus 8mm x 1.25 jet nuts
    downpipe bolts/springs/nuts: Help! 03128

Hybrid booster

You always have cool projects, Jeremy.

Jeremy, don't know if you posted it or not, but do you plan to make it to SDAC this year?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Jeremy Sent you a pm. Hope you see it soon. It is time sensitive.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Jeremy, don't know if you posted it or not, but do you plan to make it to SDAC this year?
    Yeah, but it's still a little iffy right now. I'm sure I can get time off from work, but I'm not sure what's going to happen when I start this thing up! Hopefully it will start/run and get though a few small road trips OK first.

Oh and thanks for the PM/heads up Wayne!

turbo addict

I think my exhaust housing is farther away from the starter than stock

I was planning on posting some pictures of the turbo clearance with regards to the starter, firewall etc.

With how long the exhaust runners are on the Masi 16v, even the stock IHI turbo is a bit tight to the Nippondensor starter motor. I can just get my finger through the clearance. I think the IHI-T3 adapter flange will only help though, as it spaces the whole turbo out except that the internal waste gate actuator might become a problem with the firewall.

For now, I'm happy enough with the stock IHI turbo. I once made 196 WHP /240 WTQ with the TII setup @ 14 psi boost with the stock TII turbo so if I can best that I'll be happy. I'm all about the nostalgia with this thing and planning on "it was born there" look.

Jay, what turbo are you running on your car/project?

I'm looking at a couple different T3 based upgrades due to the commonality and price. I don't think I'll ever go with an external waste gate though. After I get this thing running (and head work) I can imagine going with a 50 trim T3/T04E hybrid or something like a Precision 6152S or Garrett GT30/40R. The 50 trim hybrid from ATP is dynamite on a local Spirit R/T that I built so I'm leaning that way. And it has the .72 A/R "Cosworth" turbine housing. Just getting this Lancer to the standard T3 frame will open a lot of possibilities.

turbo addict

That's a GT30R.

Gonna end up with a GT35R I think. I'm putting the GT30 into my SL on a TBI header with one of those separated internal gate housings.

Still need to make a jig to machine the BMF the way I want, then get the TB bend figured out, fabbed and welded. The exhaust is going to be a 3" 180 degree bend (probably tight radius ) to the tunnel then the WG side will be 2" and go down towards the motor and under the turbo then back into the tunnel where I'm not sure if I'll vent to atmosphere or connect it back in at the 1st bend in the back.

I should probably just throw my big plenum 2 piece on it and get it running.

OK, still plugging away at the SL/Masi project. I had a hell of a time finding the proper 12mm x 1.25 banjo bolts but I found them on eBay and finished the oil/coolant lines for the turbocharger and the cylinder head oil drain. I also got all the accessories/pulleys installed on the front of the engine and am now just working my way around the motor assembling stuff.

I had a question about the distributor though. Aside from the spark plug wires, it's just normal 2.2 TI/TII stuff, but can it be removed/installed with the intake manifold in place? I broke a spark plug wire removing it from the distributor and am hoping I can fix it. I'm also hoping Simon (turbovanman) can make a new set for me.

Speaking of the intake manifold.....I'm really not very impressed with the Cometic intake manifold gaskets. They are just very thin paper compared to the stock gaskets with are steel with a rubber impregnated O-ring deal around the ports. I'm tempted to just clean up some old gaskets and reuse those instead!

Also, I have a local friend that is looking into machining my IHI-T3 flange adapter from eBay so I may potentially use that in the future. I have the stock IHI turbo and Masi 16v downpipe on the car now and damn....it is very close to the rack and pinion already... I wish I had more fab skills but I just don't so this project is mostly a bolt-on affair. Even if I got so far as actually bolting on a regular T3 turbo, a custom 3" downpipe would be very tricky. I'll worry about that later though....so far so good.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

If I have to do anything to the distrib other than adjust timing, I pull the intake manifold. So no, no pulling the distrib with the Mani in place. I would urge you that while you have the pieces off, trim/grind away the extra metal on the intake AND the cage surrounding the TB. There was some kinda crash standard that said all that extra mass had to be there. All it does is make sue you cant access the TB or put an IC hose on there.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    If I have to do anything to the distrib other than adjust timing, I pull the intake manifold. So no, no pulling the distrib with the Mani in place. I would urge you that while you have the pieces off, trim/grind away the extra metal on the intake AND the cage surrounding the TB. There was some kinda crash standard that said all that extra mass had to be there. All it does is make sue you cant access the TB or put an IC hose on there.
    Hey AJ, I've already had to grind off a nub on the intake manifold just to fit the aftermarket radiator fan! The fan/shroud will now drop right into place with the intake manifold installed (just barely with that nub removed!!).

I'm sure I will have further headaches when I try to actually get that stock throttle body mess to work. It did seem to work OK with the GLHS throttle cable from Rock Auto.

Today, I am having to remove the passenger side drive shaft just to get the oil drains for the cylinder head and turbo in place. OMG it is tight down there.

I got it all put together and tried to start it tonight after work. So far, no-go. Cranks over just fine. Everything seems to come on OK and I can even check the fault codes with the key on-off cycle (12 & 55). But, it won't do the 1 second fuel pump prime when the ignition is turned to 'on'. I tried another ASD relay, but that didn't work either. I would consider swapping the HEP, but considering I'm not even getting the fuel pump prime when I turn the ignition on tells me there is some problem between the SMEC and ASD relay. Hrrmm.

I hope I don't end up having to replace the HEP. That looks like a nightmare.

Oh, and it was pretty cool hearing the stereo again. I have a Pioneer DEH-8600 deck from '04 or so, and a Pioneer steering wheel remote (strap-on deal). I haven't driven the car since '09 and the battery in the remote STILL works!

Also, I did take apart an ASD relay so I could manually trigger it. The fuel pump comes right on when I do that. I even tried holding the contacts together and then cranked the engine over and it still won't start. I'm positive I have the cam timing right on and the ignition timing should be really close. I have a friend coming over to help with it tomorrow and I'm going to put a timing light on it to see if it's even firing a spark next.

turbo addict

Still got that 88 smec harness?

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    Still got that 88 smec harness?
    It's running an '89 SMEC harness from the 16v TC now. Before this it had a '91 SBEC harness from a GTC.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    It's running an '89 SMEC harness from the 16v TC now. Before this it had a '91 SBEC harness from a GTC.
    I mean, do you still have the 88 lancer ES smec harness that you got from Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    I mean, do you still have the 88 lancer ES smec harness that you got from Rich.
    Oh yea, I totally forgot about that. I do but I'm not exactly sure where it is at the moment. I'm no longer going to use it though.

- - - Updated - - -

Well so far I've verified I have fuel and spark. Tearing into it now to recheck all of the timing.

IT RUNS!!!

I spent most of the day tearing my hair out (and the car apart) trying to figure out what could be wrong. Took apart the timing belt and made sure that the cam timing was on, distibutor was installed right, verifying the spark plug wires and firing order were good and it still wouldn't fire over. Out of frustration, I even went to NAPA to buy a new ignition coil since my old one was really old. Nothing worked, and the only codes were 12 and 55. I did find it is actually possible to remove the cap/rotor/HEP without removing the intake manifold which was a relief. Not easy, but not impossible either.

So finally I read over the section on how to do the Masi 16v timing belt procedure in the FSM again, just to double check. I tore the timing belt and sprockets and valve cover apart for a third time. I finally found what I had done wrong. I didn't realize that the camshafts actually have TWO blind holes in each cam for pinning them in place. The FSM mentions that there are two sprocket keyways, but it doesn't say anything about there being two holes in the camshafts as well. It turned out that I had used the wrong one and my intake cam was about 90 degrees out! So I put it all back together and it started up instantly.

It sounds really good too. Pretty loud though because it currently only has a downpipe on it for exhaust. Great oil pressure, pulls about 16-17 in/hg vacuum after setting the ignition timing to 12' BTDC. Tonight I'm going to keep finishing the car in the hopes that I'll be able to drive it tomorrow. I need to install the new radiator fan, put the tires/wheels back on, install my new license plates, and reinstall the shifter console.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast