Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shelby Lancer #127

Re: Shelby Lancer #127

Jeremy I'm seriously contemplating driving mine along with the GLHS this next year if I can find a secondary driver. Marcus' Shelby Lancer and a few others would make a nice turnout for sure.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Got the Masi 16v shoehorned into the Shelby Lancer today with the help of my friend Dan. Didn't have any trouble swapping on the flywheel, clutch, and A568 from the old TII. We managed to get it in complete with all the belts and pulleys etc. Tight fit, especially with that big intake manifold sticking out.

I'm going to be towing it back to my place this week sometime to get it finished up. Should be pretty straightforward but I'm sure the rewiring will take some time.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

A Masi powered SL will be a sight to see.

turbo addict

Pics!!!!!!!!!

I'll work on it Jay. This is all I have at the moment.

Attachment 54173

Old TII is on the trailer; Masi 16v is about to have the clutch/flywheel/A568 installed.

I'm bummed I'm going to have to cut off my nice TU 3" down pipe and use the 2.5" TC down pipe instead. I had to swap out some of the passenger side motor mount bracket, but it all bolted right in even though it was tight lowering it down in.

My friend Dan asked me if I was sure the hood clearance was going to be OK after we had it bolted in. I think it will be fine. I just hope that the TII rad/IC/fan will still fit OK. I have a nice aftermarket low-profile fan if not.

Got the Shelby Lancer towed back home today which will make it easier to work on. I also only have to work till noon tomorrow because Good Friday! Lots of easy stuff to tackle (driveshafts, cables etc..) Can't wait.

Other things are going to be challenging. It will need a new downpipe. I have a stock 2.5" downpipe from the donor car to use. I still have to figure out the throttle body situation. I don't think I have all the bracketry required to do it like stock. Fuel lines will be a bit longer than before. I have an '88 Lancer ES under hood harness that I plan to use. It just so happens that it is both turbo SMEC and 50-pin male bulkhead which makes it the perfect donor harness. I also have an '89 16v TC under hood harness to use for parts. If it comes down to simply relocating certain areas I may not even need it. I plan to use the stock '89 Masi 16v SMEC which I got from Mark C as well as pretty much everything else.

Unfortunately I messed up the lower radiator support towing it. I hooked/tied the tow strap to the front motor mount bracket. It probably would have been fine if the front motor mount had been installed. But it wasn't and my lower radiator support is now messed up and may need replacement. Totally my fault because I had let the tow strap slack at a stop and the tow vehicle had no idea, so it got jerked on pretty hard once. Luckily a local friend has an '86 Lancer ES parts car.

It is neat to see the Masi 16v underwood though. It really fills up the engine bay and I haven't even got it fully assembled yet.

turbo addict

Picssss!!!! Quit teasing us!

Is it just me or is replacing a starter motor on a 16v even worse than a Shelby GLHS?

I was thinking about putting a Nippondenso starter in there but damn that turbo hangs low.

turbo addict

well since you don't have an intake in the way, pull the turbo and exhaust manifold out

Cool. I was hoping to just drop the motor in and run it as-is, but it looks like I'll probably be pulling the manifolds. Thankfully it doesn't look like it will be too difficult even the though the engine is now in the car. And sorry I still don't have much for pics!

Got a tiny bit farther on it today. I had to repark it in the parking lot next to my white Spirit R/T so I would have more room to work on it. I installed the 17" summer wheels/tires. I had a ton of cleaning/sorting to do in the shop/garages though so I hope to get more done tomorrow.

I have to admit, it's a pretty road worn car. I bought it in 1999 with 177k miles. I would have to check but I think it's around 280k miles now thanks to many years of pizza delivery. This Masi 16v is probably the 4th engine it's had now! It looks like hell right now because there is still a ton of dust and leaves from sitting, and I pressure washed the engine which stripped off most of the original black wrinkle finish from the valve cover and intake.

Starter motor swap turned out to be a piece of cake. I haven't got the axles in yet, so I removed the intermediate shaft bracket from the block along with the Bosch starter support bracket near the turbo oil return and managed to slip it out of there underneath the car. I don't think it would have been possible with the passenger side axle/I-shaft in place but I could be wrong. It has a reman Nippondenso starter now

Got a little bit farther today. Aside from the ND starter swap, I had to install a new P/S pressure hose on account of the Masi 16v having a ZF power steering pump unlike the Saginaw pump the TII had used. I also got the shifter cables, speedo cable, and clutch cables installed.

All of the wiring "sub harnesses" for fuel rail, starter, alternator etc are installed along with the battery cables. It's looking like the wiring operation won't be too difficult. Mostly at two of the main plugs below/behind the battery is where most of the adaptation will take place.

One thing I could not figure out today was where to route the 3/8" vacuum hose for the brake booster. I can't seem to find a nipple for it on the intake manifold.

Seriously wondering which route to take with rewiring this. I have three options:

A: Use the Masi TC under hood SMEC harness. It will adapt to the SMEC and engine perfectly, but I will have to convert the bulkhead plug from female to male so it plugs into the SL firewall. I may have to change out headlight connectors and a few other little things as well.

B: Use the '88 Lancer ES Turbo under hood I have. It is configured for TII H-body/SMEC and has a male bulkhead so it should adapt to the car perfectly, but I would have to adapt the harness for the Masi 16v engine.

C. Continue to use the '91 Lebaron GTC (SBEC with PDC) that I was previously using in the SL. I'd have to relocate some plugs for Masi 16v compatibility and would need a custom Masi 16v SBEC cal from Boost Button.

I'm thinking I will just go with option A. That is the same thing I did to get the '91 Lebaron GTC harness/SBEC working in my SL previously with the old TII engine, which worked great. All of the splicing/conversion will be at the firewall bulkhead but I may have to convert some things like headlights and that damn wiper motor plug.

Anyone looking into an underhood wiring harness upgrade/swap.....My advice is: It's so easy a caveman can do it. But it is really tedious and time consuming so get ready. It's best done alone without any distractions, a set of FSMs, and a 6-pack of your favorite beer.

Here are some pics of it as of today. Pretty much everything under the car is done except for the down pipe. I still have to finish the new wiring harness, radi/IC/fan, and do a ton of various plumbing though.

The car has sat for pretty much the last six years and is in dire need of a cleanup obviously.

Attachment 54359Attachment 54360Attachment 54361Attachment 54362Attachment 54363

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Great Progress

You didn't mention so I'll speculate that some of the upgrades mentioned earlier in this thread didn't come to pass You don't want another 100 WHP anyway
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0592.JPG 
Views:	206 
Size:	455.4 KB 
ID:	54364   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0594.JPG 
Views:	197 
Size:	420.9 KB 
ID:	54365   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0596.JPG 
Views:	200 
Size:	408.4 KB 
ID:	54366   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0597.JPG 
Views:	196 
Size:	439.3 KB 
ID:	54367   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0599.JPG 
Views:	186 
Size:	418.1 KB 
ID:	54368   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0600.JPG 
Views:	190 
Size:	453.9 KB 
ID:	54369  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0601.JPG 
Views:	193 
Size:	439.1 KB 
ID:	54370  

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Thanks for the pics Alan. I would most definitely like an additional 100 HP because in the end I would love for this car to walk all over the damn CSRT!

Right now I'm in the, "Let's just get this thing running phase"...Thanks for the wiring info in the other thread.

Attachment 54371

I've decided to use the Masi 16v under hood harness and make that work in the Shelby Lancer. Thankfully I was able to completely eliminate all of the Masi 16v Teves ABS brake system wiring which eliminated a TON of wiring/connectors! There are a few other circuits I can eliminate as well, due to option content differences between the TC and SL (cruise control, CCD bus, lighting etc...)

In the last couple hours I've taken so many hand-written notes/diagrams on the wiring conversion. Most of the splices will be at the bulkhead for the "sex change operation" to convert it from 50-pin female to 50-pin male so that it will simply plug into the SL's firewall. This is almost identical to the approach I took to make the '91 Lebaron GTC SBEC harness work in the SL for the last few years. The rest will be adapting the Masi TC headlight connectors to the SL's H4/H1 setup, and maybe some new battery cables. Should start right up after that! Somebody get this guy a beer!

I wish I could update this thread. Unfortunately I made a BIG mistake in towing the car back to my place after the Masi drivetrain was dropped in. Unfortunately I towed the car with a tow rope wrapped around the front motor mount without the front motor mount bracket in place and jacked up the lower radiator support in the process. My coworker helped me tow the car and taking off from a stop sign it was jerked hard enough from the slight bit of tow rope slack that it messed up the lower radiator support. I can't install a radiator or the front motor mount until it's fixed. I'm still kicking myself over and over this!! Totally my fault.

The good news is that a local friend JUST HAPPENS to have an '85 Lancer ES that he is parting out and is going to get me the part. I made him an offer for a sweet deal on a custom TIII engine for his Shelby CSX, and I have another friend that can weld it in.

Such a huge bummer and I'm kicking myself over it, but local friends are pulling through to save this car.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

That must have been a hummer of a yank to necessitate the replacement of the entire piece. Glad you found a local replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    That must have been a hummer of a yank to necessitate the replacement of the entire piece. Glad you found a local replacement.
    Not necessarily. Without the front motor mount bracket bolted to the engine....it didn't take much to mess it all up. Big kink in it now.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast