Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shelby Lancer #127

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Shelby Lancer #127

I'm gearing up for my next project now that I have tied up some loose ends with previous projects. I've decided it will be my Shelby Lancer #127 which I miss driving very much. I'm hoping that starting this thread will help keep me motivated over the winter. The first step will be figuring out the engine details, which is really the only thing the car needs. It will most definitely be some kind of 2.2/2.5 with an A568 though.

I have a lot of options at my disposal and my hope is that I can drive it to the next SDAC convention and have something somewhat unique at the very least. There was only 1-2 Shelby Lancers at last years convention in Wisconsin so...

What to do. I need direction and some inspiration here. It won't be the nicest SL by a long shot, but I'll slap some Webers on there if that is what it takes. Being at last years SDAC was very inspirational in itself, and next time I would like to take a car that is more interesting than the CSRT. What to do with this car?

Attachment 52256

turbo addict

Re: Shelby Lancer #127

oooooh I want those clear headlight covers.

If I were starting from scratch on mine it'd be a 2.5 with a 3.50 geared 523. Plenty of punch when ya need it and a nice highway gear for cruising down the road.

turbo addict

Yeah the 2.5's in the bigger cars do go nice together. I built and installed a 2.5 CB in Steve Menzner's beautiful SL. Had mildly ported head with s-60 turbo. Hardly anyone at SDAC events even noticed it was a 2.5 CB. Nice driver, that had a good 100 lb/ft more torque than the motor it replaced. It got better mileage than the 2.2 as well.
    Here is another option. Since you have some complete and low mileage Masi motors, maybe one of those? That one you bought from Mark C. had like 50K miles on it. It's complete and that would be a relatively easy swap. Would just need to either upgrade harness to a 88/89 or get a 87 LM cal made. That would be an interesting combo. Don't see a Masi SL everyday, not even at SDAC events. Now that the masi VC gaskets are available, I could see that swap as an viable option.
    Todd

Yeah I've thought about that option too Todd. I still have the Masi motor from Mark on a stand in the garage. I've cleaned it up really good but that is about it so far. But it is 2.2L of course. If I do that, I will be going for minimal mods and the "it was born there" look.

Right now the car is running on SBEC electronics with a harness out of a '91 Lebaron GTC. I wonder if Boost Button could do a Masi cal for that?

turbo addict

If you went with a boostbutton setup I'd get the flashable setup so you could tweak it as he doesn't have much time tuning outside his own 8v setup. Local guy here went cheap with a chipped BB SBEC setup and after 3 or more chips it still didn't work right. The last chip had the anti-lag turned on all the time so you couldn't do much over 35 mph and had boost at idle almost. If he had a flashable setup I could of plugged in my laptop and he'd farther ahead than he is now with the FWDP computer he ended up going with but even it still needs tweaking because FWD didn't put all the things he asked for in the cal.

But you might be the push that Rob needs to finish breaking down the 2.2 16v factory calibration so that would be a +.

I have a LOT to learn as far as all the options with flashable ECUs and any kind of DIY tuning. Still a little intimidated by all of that and not to mention I have no laptop to even use the software.. On the other hand, I do know of a guy selling an '88 turbo H-body underhood harness that just so happens to have the older 50-pin male bulkhead so that would make an SMEC swap quite easy and allow me to use the stock Masi 16v SMEC.

What do you guys think of a 2.5L TIII setup? I have a fresh shortblock ready to go with new Venolia pistons. It wouldn't be quite as unique as the Masi setup and it would take longer to complete as I would have to finish the engine. But the wiring might be easier since my SL is already SBEC.

Alright, where did you get those covers? Those aren't GTS, so assuming you made a set or else? Looks good though. And yes you should bring it next year. I'm contemplating having someone drive the Lancer to SDAC and I bring my GLHS as well. Mainly to have the car presence there, but I love driving the GLHS, but I also love the cleanliness of the Lancer I got back in June. That and I think there needs to be more of the Shelby Lancers there. Derek/Derrick and Shelby (I think those are their names) usually bring their Lancer. Would be nice to see more there.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

It does seem intimidating at 1st but it's pretty easy once you get going. And it's SOOO nice to be able to just play with things if you so feel like it.

So someone was holding out on an already to go H-body SMEC harness?? How dare they! Got mine in last weekend and it works great. Had to splice in a side marker light that had 1 wire cut is all that was wrong with it. Then of course they changed the wiper motor plug just like on the daytona. they looked so close I left it until install then got mad because it wouldn't fit and busted out the calipers and found it was .1" wider GRRRR. Shelby just drilled a hole through the grommet for the LM wiring to run the other 2 wires (hack) but then ran a separate sub harness with it's own nice grommet for the fog lights. Runs awesome though until the daughter messed up 3rd gear learning to drive stick Friday.

A 2.5 T3 might be ok. It's up to you really. For mine I want it quick and simple and sticking with the 8v will do it for me. I'd like to drop a 2.5 under it for the extra torque but I have a fairly built 2.2 shortblock out of my wrecked new yorker that is cheaper and easier.

The headlight covers came from the Direct Connection catalog. I lucked into getting a new set several years ago. I really like them and they look a million times better than blacked out covers.

Jay, I imagine you had to do similar mods to the harness I sold you that I did to put the '91 GTC harness in my SL. I ended up cutting off the female 50-pin bulkhead and splicing on the male 50-pin bulkhead in it's place so that it would simply plug into the firewall socket. I'd like to keep the GTC harness and SBEC because it also has the Power Distribution Center which is so much nicer to deal with than fuse links. But yeah, there is a guy here that says he has an '88 turbo H-body harness with SMEC, but uses the older 50-pin male bulkhead like the '87 SL. Must have been a mid year change and quite a rare animal.

turbo addict

It'd be nice to not have to worry if my solder joints will ever break with that factory firewall 50 pin SMEC harness if it indeed is a Hbody harness.

Yep, same thing I did.

Mines been that way since '07 and I never had a problem with it after the wiring operation.

I would love to go 2.5L, but the only way I have to do that is with a TIII swap because of pistons. I have a 2.5L TIII shortblock ready to go with Venolias or one with Wisecos. At this point I will probably do the Masi 16v because it's ready to drop in and complete down to the accessory belts. All I would have to do is install the new thermostat housing from acannell/lengel and install the new valve cover gasket from joelzip as well as the new silicone upper radiator hose from TurbosUnleashed. I also need to swap out the passenger side motor mount bracket because it's for a '90+ car. And some powder coating because the pressure washer blasted off most of the stock black wrinkle off the valve cover.

Attachment 52274
    Last edited by iTurbo; 11-29-2014 at 09:40 PM.

I PM'd Rob and have placed an order for the Masi 16v SBEC. So yeah, it looks like I've made up my mind. Those Webers will just have to wait until I find a gold GLH someday. Whew.

turbo addict

Jeremy do yourself a favor and make sure it's a flashable SBEC. I don't want you kicking yourself down the road fighting with cals and chips. Rob can always load the initial cal and then once you get a laptop can tweak it further.

Thanks for the heads up Jay. I have talked to Rob via PM and submitted the spec sheet. I got hung up on actually submitting the order because of problems with the shipping part. I will talk to him about a flashable setup for sure. But I'm sure I'll need something other than my Mac Book Air.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor DOHCRT's Avatar

OK Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Alright, where did you get those covers? Those aren't GTS, so assuming you made a set or else? Looks good though. And yes you should bring it next year. I'm contemplating having someone drive the Lancer to SDAC and I bring my GLHS as well. Mainly to have the car presence there, but I love driving the GLHS, but I also love the cleanliness of the Lancer I got back in June. That and I think there needs to be more of the Shelby Lancers there. Derek/Derrick and Shelby (I think those are their names) usually bring their Lancer. Would be nice to see more there.

Vic in Phoenix
    dohcrt@cox.net

91 Spirit R/T x4
    92 Spirit R/T x2
    89 CSX
    88 CSX-TIII
    84 Rampage TII
    97 Ram (Buzzin Half Dozen)
    69 Dart GT 'Vert

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Have someone put a 16T compressor wheel in that RB5 turbo and port the EX Manifold outlet. You'll be much happier with it

Yeah, a Masi Lancer

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

I will look into that Alan. The only thing wrong with the Masi 16v engine I got from Mark is the fact that the turbocharger could use a rebuild. It has some thrust play which I don't feel very good about. Otherwise it looks really good.

I'm really hoping for a decent weekend (and a dry parking lot) so that I can pull the current (broken) TII/A568 combo from the Shelby Lancer. This weekend is looking good and I am not on call!

Got a bit farther on it this weekend. The current TII/A568 is darn near ready to pull out and I have gotten the 'unicorn' of underhood wiring harness which should make the electronics aspect of the Masi 16v/SMEC swap into an '87 SL easy (thanks Rich Bryant!).

Looking into the turbo upgrade Alan mentioned and also sending off the valve cover and intake manifold to be powder coated. I usually do my own powder coating but I have been less than happy with my results as far as wrinkle goes.

Not much of an update, but I towed the car to it's new temporary home at a local friends house for the swap. Engine is ready and on the stand. Wiring is ready. Pretty much everything ready and now it's time to get down to it. Thanks Dan. Driving this car to SDAC 25 would be epic vacation.

Excellent. Can't wait to see it!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast