Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Shelby Lancer #127

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Shelby Lancer #127

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Yup, I've done the E code housings already. I'll look a little more into it and rewatch your YT video on the H-body relays though.
    OK, then adding the relays is super easy. Is you're already reworking the wiring it'll be no issue what so ever.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    OK, then adding the relays is super easy. Is you're already reworking the wiring it'll be no issue what so ever.
    Yeah, I've already fried a headlight switch on my SL before. Man that literally stunk! The TC harness in the car now has even thinner gauge wiring for the headlights so I'd be crazy not to put them on relays.

Anybody see any reason something like this wouldn't work? It looks like I could use this and add in a separate relay for the H1 and fog lights later.

https://www.amazon.com/Headlight-Rel.../dp/B00H5JFHR0

Here's another harness I found on eBay that is configured for the 4-headlight setup, but it appears to be H4/H4, not H4/H1 like I have currently.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Headlight....c100506.m3226

Makes me wonder if I should just run H4 bulbs for all and ditch the inboard H1s.
    Last edited by iTurbo; 04-15-2018 at 01:08 PM.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Just change the connectors...
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Hybrid booster

I switched to the H4 style lamps a long time ago. they work great and are super bright. I also switched to the ceramic connectors but instead of cutting the factory harness this is what I did.

I did a quick search and these aren't the exact headlamps I bought but you get the idea.

Look at this on eBay
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F263555354543

They also make a Halo style and an angel eye style. I used the Halo on my Daytona.

Look at this on eBay
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F191230179076

Both of these were just quick searches I'm sure you can find them for a lot cheaper, just wanted to show you the options

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

They make male and female plugs for the headlights, so you can make a conversion harness yourself. It's pretty easy if you want to do it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    They make male and female plugs for the headlights, so you can make a conversion harness yourself. It's pretty easy if you want to do it that way.
    That's really what I think I want to do. I rewatched your YT videos of doing the conversion on your Lancer Shelby and I like the idea of using 4 relays. (1. outboard H4 lows, 2. outboard H4 highs, 3. inboard H1s, 4. fogs). I'd like to find a nice 4-relay bank with pigtails so I could wire up my own harness from scratch. I'm using a Maserati TC underhood harness, so I have to cut off the old 9005/9006 connectors anyway and could wire them direct instead of getting the male H4 plug for a plug'n'play deal like I normally would if I was still running the original harness.

If you pick up the Hella relay blocks, you can use their terminals and just slide the relay block together to make a 4 row piece. That provides a lot of freedom.

I turned up the boost (via grainger valve) to 12-13 psi at WOT today. It's a lot funner now than the 8 psi I had been running. All the driveline bugs are sorted and it runs fantastic and doesn't leak anything. I'm amazed at how quiet this engine is. The Derale electric fan is pretty loud but moves a lot of air and gets the job done no problem. The valve train is quiet; cold starts or when it's hot. I've never even heard a hint of of detonation, although it does have a pretty low compression ratio and I use no-ethanol 91 octane pump gas. I have the base timing set to 12' BTDC. It doesn't quite have the peaky torque punch of the Turbo II engine, but it revs out really nice and keeps pulling up high, like my CSRT.

There is a dyno day coming up at the local college soon. I had previously had the SL on the dyno (TII) and it made 196 whp and 242 lb/ft torque at 14 psi boost. If I can break 200+ whp this time I'll be happy. It's bog stock Masi 16v except for the 3" exhaust, grainger valve boost control and a set of cleaned/flow tested fuel injectors from a TIII from Mr. Injector. I have kicked around the idea of reinstalling the adjustable zener and bringing the boost up to 16 psi and putting in 5 gallons of 110 av gas though.

Sounds like it's ready to make the trip to SDAC.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Super low compression motors like you said, keep raising the boost. Stock turbo is diminishing returns by about 19 IME.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Super low compression motors like you said, keep raising the boost. Stock turbo is diminishing returns by about 19 IME.
    AJ, how would you go about raising the boost past 14 psi or so? Right now all I have are some adjustable zener circuits...I've used those in the past with good results and will at least allow me to get right up on the 2-bar MAP threshold and max that out with no overboost cut.

I'm still hoping to upgrade to a Garrett T3 turbine/flange soon...I gave one of my local friends a Masi 16v exhaust manifold and an IHI-to-T3 adapter flange. He says it's done but I haven't been able to get ahold of him. This thing would be awesome with a small T3/T4 hybrid!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

The only TC I have running more than 14PSI boost is my yellow one, it's got a 3 bar MAP and supporting tune/mods. White one started slipping the clutch in 5th at 13.5PSI, so I had to turn it back down to 11. It's got a spanking new 568/Quaife/TU clutch ready to in. Just needs to wait it's turn

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

I reused the previous A568 and Luk clutch in the Lancer. The A568 came from a junkyard '90 turbo Caravan with 176k miles. Still holding up great! I put it in back '03 or so after the second A555 died.

I wish Rob (ShelGame) was still doing cals. I just don't have the time to get into that aspect of the hobby myself. So right now, I'm thinking a set of +20 injectors and the adjustable zener. I'm pretty happy with the car at 12 psi though.

I took the SL racing this weekend at a local autocross event. Wow, it was way fun even though I messed up a lot! I was really on the fence about taking it, but ended up going since it would be a good durability/shakedown test for it since reviving the car with the Masi 16v transplant. Plus, it was almost 100'F temps here this weekend.

The car did great though....the only breakage I had was blowing two rubber vacuum caps when I hit the boost hard on a straight section of the track. It blew one off the power booster T and another off the turbo compressor housing. I lost power brakes right after that and limped to the end. Thankfully I met some old friends that were spectating and one of them lived about 1/4 mile down the road and had some rubber caps and zip ties so it was fixed up and running again 1/2 hour later.

The car handled pretty well.....years ago I had rebuilt the suspension, steering, brakes etc...It has just about everything you can get from Poly Bushings (bushings, anti-sway bars), plus 11" vented brakes from a GTC and everything else is either new or still fairly fresh. The weak point on the car is definitely the 12 year old Kumho ASX tires (215/45-17). I did have a problem with power loss when nailing the throttle on a straight after a high G hairpin turn. I'm not sure if it was fuel starvation or what....I had 3/4 tank of gas.

The car had NO problem staying cool even though it was almost 100'F outside and driving it like I stole it. The TurbosUnleashed aluminum radiator and Derale electric fan worked great. I'm still running 12 psi @ WOT with a grainger valve boost controller, but I am surprised the reused Luk TurboII clutch didn't slip at all.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    I took the SL racing this weekend at a local autocross event. Wow, it was way fun even though I messed up a lot! I was really on the fence about taking it, but ended up going since it would be a good durability/shakedown test for it since reviving the car with the Masi 16v transplant. Plus, it was almost 100'F temps here this weekend.

The car did great though....the only breakage I had was blowing two rubber vacuum caps when I hit the boost hard on a straight section of the track. It blew one off the power booster T and another off the turbo compressor housing. I lost power brakes right after that and limped to the end. Thankfully I met some old friends that were spectating and one of them lived about 1/4 mile down the road and had some rubber caps and zip ties so it was fixed up and running again 1/2 hour later.

The car handled pretty well.....years ago I had rebuilt the suspension, steering, brakes etc...It has just about everything you can get from Poly Bushings (bushings, anti-sway bars), plus 11" vented brakes from a GTC and everything else is either new or still fairly fresh. The weak point on the car is definitely the 12 year old Kumho ASX tires (215/45-17). I did have a problem with power loss when nailing the throttle on a straight after a high G hairpin turn. I'm not sure if it was fuel starvation or what....I had 3/4 tank of gas.

The car had NO problem staying cool even though it was almost 100'F outside and driving it like I stole it. The TurbosUnleashed aluminum radiator and Derale electric fan worked great. I'm still running 12 psi @ WOT with a grainger valve boost controller, but I am surprised the reused Luk TurboII clutch didn't slip at all.
    Very cool!

I think they are going to do it again next month, and again in October (weather permitting). Not sure if I'll run the SL again or the Caliber SRT-4. Maybe even my old black/tan GLH Turbo, which would be a real hoot.

Only one other guy asked about the SL. He was driving a Focus ST and asked me if it was a Capri....I told him no, it's a Shelby Lancer. He replied, "What the ---- is that and walked off :roll eyes:

Been driving the car a lot lately; probably close to 200 miles just tooling around in town and on some highways out of town. I really like the way it drives and is fun for short road trips. The little stock turbo spools up fast and hits 12 psi like a jackhammer.....For around town driving it's pretty fun even though the car only makes about 200 HP I imagine. I think I might just leave it on there and not eventually do a T3/T4, although it feels like the engine is just begging for more turbo. Honestly it really doesn't 'feel' a whole lot different than the Turbo II engine that was in there, except it sounds a little better and runs up to redline effortlessly.

Next mod is going to be an RFL BOV to replace the stock BOV in the airbox and maybe a little more boost. It would be nice to have a 3-bar/+40 setup for it, but I honestly have no idea where I would even get the SMEC for this combo.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456