Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shelby Lancer #127

turbo addict

Re: Shelby Lancer #127

Jeremy, the T2 H and G bodies have a C-channel section of steel that's screwed to the front of the lower rad support for extra strength. you might also want to find one of these to help with the extra power you'll be making. The SL's never got this piece because they were T1's from the factory.

turbo addict

seeing the posts regarding the engine harness'

you guys know that the 88 K cars were smec with the old style 50 pin bulkhead connector mounted in the square hole in the firewall right ?

that harness makes any smec conversion easy in an older , pre smec car - no hacking , no chopin , except to match up the headlights to the car you're putting it into but that's easily done at the rad cradle

I just happened to have saved one for years without even noticeing the 50 way b-h and no gromit until just reciently
    so that's in my stash for the next project.. now

I've been told the 89 K car harness may not be the same but might instead have the big gromit but I can't confirm that

turbo addict

For me I like having a harness where everything lines up to where it needs to go, then just changing 1 plug basically. I have 2 of those SMEC Kcar harness'. I still swapped my 87 SL over using an 88 LS harness Jeremy sold to me.

turbo addict

yeah I know what you mean
    I kinda glaze over when people suggest putting mini van harness' into L bodies myself
    (not to prompt any off topic debates )

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    seeing the posts regarding the engine harness'

you guys know that the 88 K cars were smec with the old style 50 pin bulkhead connector mounted in the square hole in the firewall right ?

that harness makes any smec conversion easy in an older , pre smec car - no hacking , no chopin , except to match up the headlights to the car you're putting it into but that's easily done at the rad cradle

I just happened to have saved one for years without even noticeing the 50 way b-h and no gromit until just reciently
    so that's in my stash for the next project.. now

I've been told the 89 K car harness may not be the same but might instead have the big gromit but I can't confirm that
    The big deal for me is converting a 50-pin to 50-pin. Male to female to make it plug in. It's essentially a sex change operation on the big firewall plug to make it work. The '87 SL has a male plug on the underhood harness....femaie on the firewall. The Masi 16v underhood harness is female plug, and about 12" too long to boot. I imagine Jay had a similar circumstance with the '88 Lancer Shelby harness I sold him. Plus the differences in the additional plugs that would have otherwise normally connected to the steering column. These circuits need to then be integrated into the bulkhead plug itself. I've done this before when I used a '91 Lebaron GTC in my SL in it's previous incarnation.

Nothing is really plug-n-play especially considering the option content of donor vs recipient vehicle and model year/body style. Going 16v, all bets are off and you have a lot of splicing to do at the bulkhead plug. Like 40-45. Plus headlights etc...Not that I haven't done this before or anything!
    Last edited by iTurbo; 10-31-2015 at 01:43 AM.

turbo addict

^ that's why I pointed out the 88 K car harness
    it's got the smec but the harness would plug directly into the firewall of say an 86 turbo z or 87 shelby z firewall

the b-h connectors are not reversed like in the cars with the big gromit at the firewall , no extra wire to reach under the dash and no extra wires running through the b-h connector like the brake lamp switch wires in an 88 G or K body for instance

granted the shelby z would need it's headlamp motor control wires striped from the 87 harness and added to the 88 K car harness so maybe it wasn't the best example

yeah I know what you mean
    I kinda glaze over when people suggest putting mini van harness' into L bodies myself
    (not to prompt any off topic debates )
    I have actually done the minivan harness into an L-body and also converted an '88 L-body TBI harness to Turbo II for a GLH (ala Super 60). Both worked great, but I would go with a '90 L-body TBI harness and convert it to TIII next time. The Caravan harness was very inelegant to say the least. But it worked.

I actually have an '88 Lancer ES turbo underhood harness that has a 50-pin male bulkhead that I bought from rbryant. It is SMEC and the bulkhead would have plugged right into my '87 SL firewall. I decided not to use it after finding out that I would have major complications at all the sub-harness connections. In the end, I decided using the Masi 16v harness (and simply converting the bulkhead despite the numerous circuits) was just easier.

turbo addict

to add , I'd much rather make the leads to the sensors etc fit by changing the lengths rather than do a bunch of splices at the bulkhead wireing bundles

I started one of those projects but didn't like how it was turning out to be a big knot of splices in a place I'd rather not force the wireing to fit up under the dash - eventhough I tryed best as I could to put the splices at different distances from the connectors to try avoiding the pregnant bundle of splices lump in the wireing

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    I actually have an '88 Lancer ES turbo underhood harness that has a 50-pin male bulkhead that I bought from rbryant. It is SMEC and the bulkhead would have plugged right into my '87 SL firewall. I decided not to use it after finding out that I would have major complications at all the sub-harness connections. In the end, I decided using the Masi 16v harness (and simply converting the bulkhead despite the numerous circuits) was just easier.
    this makes complete sence considering the swap in your project
    we didn't get the mazi motors in canada so I can only imagine how different that harness really is

Yup, there are a lot of big differences with the Masi 16v sub harnesses. For example, the fuel rail sub harness is integrated into the front engine sub harness.

I really wish I could have used the '88 Lancer ES harness, because it would have plugged into the firewall AND Masi 16v SMEC. But alas, it didn't work out.

Despite the numerous splices at the firewall....a few hours and I'll be done. It will be hidden and out of sight. I am totally going for a 'it was born there' look! Which is something you can't say for a Caravan harness in an Omni. Not to mention the Masi 16v harness I have is pristine compared to the tattered '88 Lancer ES harness I have.
    Last edited by iTurbo; 10-31-2015 at 02:21 AM.

to add , I'd much rather make the leads to the sensors etc fit by changing the lengths rather than do a bunch of splices at the bulkhead wireing bundles

I started one of those projects but didn't like how it was turning out to be a big knot of splices in a place I'd rather not force the wireing to fit up under the dash - eventhough I tryed best as I could to put the splices at different distances from the connectors to try avoiding the pregnant bundle of splices lump in the wireing
    Here is a picture of the splices that I made to make a '91 Lebaron GTC SBEC harness with PDC work in my Shelby Lancer. This is almost exactly what I will have to do to make the Masi 16v harness work in my SL. I appreciate your input and you clearly have experience, but it was not a big knot of splices, nor some heinous pregnant bundle. After recovering it with loom and friction tape, you wouldn't even know it was there. Nothing was touched under the dash. I was able to keep delivering pizza in the car after one weekend and used a custom cal from Shelgame to run the Turbo II on a custom cal although the 2.5L TI SBEC worked "OK". I also only had to touch the headlight wiring after converting to H1/H4 with Euro housings and convert the wiring for the windshield wiper motor due to model year differences.

I have lots of pics of my other underhood wiring harness conversions, where are yours?

Attachment 56622
    Last edited by iTurbo; 10-31-2015 at 04:02 AM. Reason: no scotch locks allowed

turbo addict

lol
    where are mine.. this was sooo twenty years ago

thinking back I believe I was trying to make a jumper section to simply plug the two female halves together with two male halves on the jumper section - probably still have it in my junk pile someplace

your's looks much neater than I remember mine being though

^ this I tryed after decideing the 87 shelby z harness I swaped into the TZ was spooked - the pm fire when I slamed the hood one night confirmed that (I'd had issues with it in the car it came from too)

so I just swaped eventually the entire engine / dash harness from a 88 T1 J body in lol .. after having to go back to the scrapyard upon discovering the 88 brakelight switch bracket was also different from the 86

all this was of course long before I found the 88 K harness had the 86 style b-h connector on it

lol
    where are mine.. this was sooo twenty years ago

thinking back I believe I was trying to make a jumper section to simply plug the two female halves together with two male halves on the jumper section - probably still have it in my junk pile someplace
    I made something similar about 12 years ago. It converts 50-pin female to 40-pin male. I built it to test a highly modified '88 L-body TBI harness in my '86 GLH Turbo. It worked well but didn't fit behind the strut tower very well and interfered with the clutch cable.

Attachment 56630

OK, I'm finally restarting the SL project. I'm hoping/dreaming of being able to drive it to Detroit next June.

I did a lot of work on the car last summer/fall and actually had it about 99% assembled. A local friend helped me fix the lower radiator support so it's all nice and straight again. I got most all the fitment issues of putting the Masi 16v engine into the SL pretty much figured out, so the final assembly shouldn't take too long. I also wanted to paint and powder coat some of the parts which I've also done.

Here is the project as it sits today:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0151.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	60381Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0152.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	60382Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0153.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	60383

I aslo got the wiring harness mostly done. I decided to just use the entire Masi 16v SMEC harness and simply swap the bulkhead plug, so it has a male 50-pin plug instead of the 50-pin female plug. I still have to do a couple minor things like install relays for the headlights, change the headlight connectors to H1/H4 that my SL uses, and get the fog light wiring sorted out. The last picture is the bulkhead and related wiring that I chopped off the Masi harnesss.

Name:	IMG_0154.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	60384Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0155.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	60385Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0156.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	60386

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Nice to see things moving along Just a couple thoughts that hit me looking at your parts laid out. The stock throttle body arrangement with it's silly little linkage arms, heim joints, and that hunk of steel that makes access to the throttle body itself impossible is a joke. Convert to a standard TB and a cable lnkage from just about any turbo car, you wont regret it

Cylinder head, what have you done to it? If it's all stock the valve seals are nearly 30 yeas old and the factory valves are out of round. I'm not saying you have to buy $1500. RDI/REV valvetrain replacement kit (tho that *IS* the way to go) but at the very least, install new seals or it WILL smoke once you start running it. The stock springs are exceedingly weak and the valves are gonna float abouve 5200-5500RPMS LONG before the head/intake combo runs out of breath. So ideally a valve job, springs and seals are in the budget

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hey AJ, I've figured out how to use either the stock Masi linkage setup, or just use the conventional 8v setup. I tried both and I actually liked the Masi setup a little better, but I think I'll need a GLHS cable to use it since the SL cable was too long. Still not sure which one I'll go with.

On the cylinder head, I haven't done anything to it. This engine supposedly has about 50k miles on it, but I know it's not going to run at it's full potential. Right now I just want to at least get the car running and go from there. I'm sure in the future I'll get new valves/springs etc for it though. I have a few different heads, mostly used/low mileage, but I do have one new bare casting that I'd like to have built up and ported eventually.

Today I got the car up on jack stands and the fuel tank put back in. I had to drop the tank to get the 8 year old gas out of it, and then I had to get a new fuel pump + hangar assembly because the positive wire was completely toast. Thankfully the Spectra Premium tank I installed about 12 years ago still looks brand new inside. I decided to just run the new Delphi pump rather than continue using the Walbro 255 ltr/hr pump. I wonder if the Walbro was pulling too much current and caused the positive wire to melt (?) Also reinstalled the PolyBushings rear anti sway bar with new hardware so I'm at least done working on the rear of the car.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0174.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	60387   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0162.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	60388  

Mitsu booster

Looking good Jeremy! I wanna ride when you're done!

Hybrid booster

What a mack of a car! I've lusted over thoughts of a TIII powered SL and here you've Maserati'd one. Bravo man, looking great!

I've been looking into upgrading the turbocharger on this Masi 16v engine. It comes with a small IHI turbo. The metal tag on the compressor housing reads "RHB52GW VM9". Anyways, I took some pictures comparing it to a stock Garrett turbo from the Turbo II engine.

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	60568Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	60567Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	60569Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	60570Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0006.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	60571

The compressor wheel is quite a lot smaller than the Garrett TII as well. It measures about 41.50mm on the inducer and 52.5 on the exducer versus the stock Turbo II compressor wheel at about 42mm inducer and 60mm exducer. I couldn't find any markings on the turbine housing regarding size, but it does seem rather large compared to how small everything else is. The O2 sensor housing/wastegate also looks more restrictive and is only about 2 1/8" inside diameter.

So I found this adapter flange on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IHI-VJ14-to-...NUdfYP&vxp=mtr

It doesn't quite fit though! I can get one of the recessed 8mm screws in, but the holes in the manifold are just off enough that I can't quite get the other screws in. I think the bolt hole pattern on the Masi 16v exhaust manifold is to blame. The holes in the IHI turbine housing are slightly larger than the 8mm studs, so it has some leeway with bolting it down, but it has to be exact for this flange to work. I'm thinking of having a welding shop weld up the mounting holes on the exhaust manifold and then drilling/tapping over again to match the adapter flange. The round hole lines up perfectly with manifold exit and transitions nice and smooth to the standard T3 oval/rectangle shape.

Anyways, I mocked up a turbo I had wanted to use with this setup. It's a stock turbo from a Buick Grand National, except it was rebuilt with a stock (stage I) turbine wheel, and uses a standard T3 .63 A/R turbine housing and the ATP "Ultimate Internal Swingvalve".

Name:	IMG_0012.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	60575Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0009.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	60574Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0008.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	60573Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0007.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	60572Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0013.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	60576

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast