Thread: NiCopp or steel brake lines

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

NiCopp or steel brake lines

I need to replace the brake lines on my Daytona. So I googled 3/16ths steel line and something called NiCopp came up. I did some searching on this and it seems to be DOT approved and most everybody likes them because of the ease of bending, flaring, and corrosion proof. But I'm not 100% sold on it when good ol' steel tubing has worked fine for years. Has anybody here used this stuff? I would like some real world answers. Thanks.

Re: NiCopp or steel brake lines

I just used it for brake lines on my Dakota. Everything I read on it was overwhelmingly positive, so I gave it a try. Super easy to work with. So far, so good.

turbo addict

turns green and fuzzy with age

also be cautious of tubeing wall thickness - some of the new (asian) stuff is to thin

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Use it and love it. Put some on a customers car a year ago and they still look brand new. Super easy to work with and don't rust or corrode.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Thank you everyone. The only thing I'm concern about now is they may work harden over the years. I would love to hear from someone who has use them long term.

Hybrid booster

the stuff is DOT certified for use in braking systems. volvo has used it for years, no problems.

Hybrid booster

It's fantastic stuff. I've been using it for both brake and fuel line for years. It's well worth the extra money.
    '88 Lebaron convertible. RWD 408/A500/8.75" 466hp/511tq. First pass coming soon.... '05 Magnum R/T. 13.79@102 Member SWPA-SDAC. The Steel city chapter.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by marc View Post
    Thank you everyone. The only thing I'm concern about now is they may work harden over the years. I would love to hear from someone who has use them long term.
    I only heard about it roughly a year ago from a fellow mechanic friend and he loves the stuff. As far as I can tell, it's reasonably new to the aftermarket of about 2 years so that's about as long term testing as you may find, aside from the Volvo comment earlier.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I used it to redo the fuel lines (3/8") on a Spirit R/T and I really like it. I got the prefabricated lines from NAPA and bent them up/installed them myself.

Thanks everyone, just ordered a 25 foot coil of 3/16 NiCopp.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

AGS isn't going to risk their reputation and/or severe backlash from selling substandard brake line (NiCopp). FedHill used to have an exclusive monopoly on the copper-nickel brake line market so its not surprising to hear them sling mud and trash talk someone else.

Hybrid booster

Interestingly enough, Copper was used extensively in brake lines prior to WWII. During WWII, copper was needed and most auto manufacturers switched to steel. Additionally, if you look at NHTSA data from that time period, there was a severe spike in brake-failure related accidents starting about 3-4 years after phasing out the copper brake line until the manufacturers figured out coatings and/or sacrificial wraps on the steel brake lines.

With its corrosion resistance, ease of bending and higher burst pressure, Lucy 2.0 got all CuNiFer brake lines. Over 2 years sitting and a few months driving and they only look a little dull/greenish. I'll put this stuff on any time I have to do a brake line if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow24 View Post
    Interestingly enough, Copper was used extensively in brake lines prior to WWII. During WWII, copper was needed and most auto manufacturers switched to steel. Additionally, if you look at NHTSA data from that time period, there was a severe spike in brake-failure related accidents starting about 3-4 years after phasing out the copper brake line until the manufacturers figured out coatings and/or sacrificial wraps on the steel brake lines.

With its corrosion resistance, ease of bending and higher burst pressure, Lucy 2.0 got all CuNiFer brake lines. Over 2 years sitting and a few months driving and they only look a little dull/greenish. I'll put this stuff on any time I have to do a brake line if I can.
    Interesting, I love the history lesson!