Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: DriveShaft Shop Axles - Group Buy

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: DriveShaft Shop Axles - Group Buy

Thanks for the measurements everyone. I think they made them, to the wrong length and in contact with them to find out why and what we need to do to resolve this.

Has anyone other than Reeves tried to install them yet?

Turbo Joe, did you ever get them in? If not, could you measure them?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

yes i got them in after a bit of polishing and fine file work. My biggest issue was the quaife diff pass side bearing was about .002-.003 too tight, but I fixed that with a brake cylinder hone.So far axles seam fine..fingers crossed. I did compair them to a set of stock axles I have and they looked exactly the same length uncompressed.
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Thanks for the update Joe! Glad they finally fit and I'm wondering if the Quaife I tried to use might have that same issue... hmm... Good luck and keep us posted!

Update on the L-body axles, did anyone else try to fit them in? If so, just curious, if not, don't I'm pretty sure from those that have already chimed in that they are too long. I'm working with DSS to figure out what happened, Stay tuned.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Update?

e-mail update sent to the group. Summary here: Despite my direction to make them to the correct length, the axles were made to old L-Body (small spline trans) length which is about as long as the axles for the other cars. They agreed to fix them and I send email with an RMA# to each L-Body axle customer.

Now that we have this figured out, and since I had a couple inquires, is anyone who didn't get in on the original group buy interested in getting a set? Please add your name to the new list below:

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    e-mail update sent to the group. Summary here: Despite my direction to make them to the correct length, the axles were made to old L-Body (small spline trans) length which is about as long as the axles for the other cars. They agreed to fix them and I send email with an RMA# to each L-Body axle customer.

Now that we have this figured out, and since I had a couple inquires, is anyone who didn't get in on the original group buy interested in getting a set? Please add your name to the new list below:
    Maybe you can update the OP with how much they ended up being? Did you guys get a discount or nah?

1. Pat L5 P

Quote Originally Posted by rx2mazda View Post
    Maybe you can update the OP with how much they ended up being? Did you guys get a discount or nah?
    Updated. L5 should be $800/set (instead of $1000) if we get enough

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Bump, anyone else want in?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

turbo addict

Bump, anyone else want in?
    Are they available without having a group buy (ignoring ability to save on cost)? Not sure if they hate us now and our small market. Also, do they sell just the driver side? Scheming for semi-related projects (custom passenger side).
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Garrett booster

Finally had the time to get them out again and at least try to plug them in to what I have. Found pretty much the same deal, fits into the stock A568 just fine, passenger side is extremely tight fit in the bare Quaife, doesn't go all the way on, tough getting back off. Think I may just need to do a little work on it as Joe described to get it fitting in(and out again).

turbo addict

from a couple of different threads I've read here you need to cut a small piece off the spline end of the passenger side axle , about the thickness of a bottle cap to fit all the way into the quafie as the center inside the quafie is bigger , thus not allowing as much penitration by the axle's splined end into the diff

FWIW, I was not able to get the DSS axles (or any axles) to fit in the quaife I almost put in last year. Tighter splines than the stock or OBX, or just built up rust preventative not sure. Keep us posted.

As far as the axle length, there is a pin in the center of the quaife that I think can be removed. It is really only there for bellvue washer alignment during assembly. If anyone is thinking of cutting a DSS axle, PLEASE let me know, lets contact DSS first to see if they have a preference on method.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Anyone send them in and get them back yet? I sent mine out the end of last week and they got them on Tues. Not expecting them back this week, just wondering what turn around was for anyone.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Thanks for the note Bryan, keep us posted. if anyone has any issue, please email me and I'll see what's up.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

turbo addict

FWIW, I was not able to get the DSS axles (or any axles) to fit in the quaife I almost put in last year. Tighter splines than the stock or OBX, or just built up rust preventative not sure. Keep us posted.

As far as the axle length, there is a pin in the center of the quaife that I think can be removed. It is really only there for bellvue washer alignment during assembly. If anyone is thinking of cutting a DSS axle, PLEASE let me know, lets contact DSS first to see if they have a preference on method.
    the thread refering to cutting the pass side axle to fit into the quafie

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...5-quaife-lbody

Bryan and Michael, yours are on the way back. I forwarded the UPS emails received today noting signature required.

Everyone else on the L-body axles, did you send them back yet?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Garrett booster

I'll be picking mine up at UPS Monday.
    Thanks for everything

Thanks for the update, let me know how they turn out!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

JT, did you ever find out what DDS's opinion is on us modifying the axle ( cutting the axle 1/4" shorter on pass side) ?? the seal is VERY close to the edge of the step down so I need to cut it down that 1/4" or so to avoid the possibility of a leak and not compress the axle to much. It's been ok so far but I would like to correct this over the winter, thanks man
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast