Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
From what I've seen on youtube, there's no reason a minivan axle replacement should take more than 10 minutes...
ya about 10 minutes start to finish. car on the ground.

tools needed :
floor jack.
electric impact. with 19mm/21mm deepwell for strut bolts, 32mm axle socket, what ever lug nut socket you need.
10 MM 1/4 inch drive to get the brake line off. or ratchet wrench.
19/21mm box or open end wrench. I have also used a crescent wrench .( used for hammer on cotter pin and strut bolts)
New axle. lube the splines with some grease.
need nose pliers for cotter pin.
Large phillips or flat head screw driver. I prefer thick phillips. or even a center punch. used to line up the strut bolts to the knuckle.

bring tools to car.

#1 floor jack under the control arm.
#2 electric impact gun to the lug nuts and toss tire.
#3 pop dust cap and grab pin with pliers.
#4 32mm socket on the impact .ZIP.
#5 19?/21? MM socket on the strut/knuckle bolts with a open end wrench on the other side. 10mm wrech on the brake hose attachment on the strut.
#6 pop the strut/knuckle bolts out and pull the knuckle forward away from the strut as far as you can.
#7 pull the axle out of the knuckle towards the engine. .pull the axle from the transmission.

#8 you did grease the splines on the new axle right? pop in new axle to transmission and fish the stub into the knuckle.
#9 push the knuckle back and push the strut onto the knuckle..
#10 use large screw driver to align the holes for the strut bolts. fish in strut bolts . dont forget the little dogbone plate!
#11. impact gun back on the strut bolts. give all the camber you can get. 32mm the axle nut on also. about 5-8 ugga dugga's or 10 or so zerps.
#12 tap cotter pin back into place and tap it in. dust cap on.
#13 wheel on with lug nuts.
#14 drop car. done.

If this takes more than 10 minutes you didn't have your tools ready. or parts near by.

FYI the last axles i got from NAPA fit great. and looked nice. for a van. but i was equal length.