Thread: Airbags???

Mitsu booster

Airbags???

Okay so I have done some research and in the late 80's then in 1990 and later the dodge daytona came standard with a steering wheel airbag and a driver side airbag. However, did any of the daytona's come with a passenger front dash airbag or a side airbag for the passenger? Did any year daytona have a knee bolster airbag?

How about the dodge stealth? Is it true that in 1994 the stealth had a passenger airbag and knee bolster that came standard but didn't in the 93 or earlier models? Isn't there a knee bolster on the driver side as well for the 1994 stealth? I asked about the stealth because I am looking at a 92 stealth. Can I swap the dash and add the knee head and side airbags to the stealth of a later year or no the wiring etc.. is not there?

In other words what sporty coupes were made by dodge in the 90'sthat had the air bag features.
    Last edited by mopar969; 11-23-2014 at 03:37 AM.

Garrett booster

Re: Airbags???

Daytona's only had the drivers side air bag. However I know in 95 possibly 94 the Lebaron Convertible added a passenger side air bag. The dashes look similar.

Mitsu booster

Is there anything I can do to make the car safer. Especially the passenger side. Is there a side impact bar I can install on the daytona. Can I add a roll bar or something to sturdy the daytona from side impact. Is there a bolt together roll cage for the daytona that anyone knows of? Thanks all!!
    Last edited by mopar969; 11-23-2014 at 02:09 PM.

turbo addict

You sound like you are in a panic. Why so much worry about passenger side impact protection? Not to discount safety at all. I understand the concern for racing, especially rally.

Mitsu booster

I just plan to have passengers in the car. Little ones to be exact and don't get me wrong younger in the back seat but the oldest was going to sit up front. I plan to use the daytona as a fun drive car that I will also drag race with. However, I will use it occasionally with them in it to ride around locally and I just want to make sure they are safe. Thanks again guys and gals for all info and your wisdom on these cars. Love the daytonas but want safety as well.

turbo addict

The only thing I will say is be careful adding OEM safety equipment to a car that was never designed for that equipment. You might end up making things more dangerous. Adding race-spec safety equipment is ok, as long as it's understood that the equipment only works as intended if used with all associated safety equipment (helmets, harnesses, etc.).

Having said that, the '94/'95 J-body LeBaron got passenger side airbags. I don't know if there are other structural modifications that were done such as the under-dash cross bar, but if you decide to do this, then I would look for anything else that is different.

Mitsu booster

Thank you reaper. Would adding a roll bar cage that has a bar that goes across the door be helpful. I think this is my best bet and also put the passenger seat ALL THE WAY BACK FROM THE DASH!! I think this would be worthwhile but wanted a second opinion. Thanks again?

Also, if it would be helpful where can I get one that is bolt together not welded? Thanks.

Hybrid booster

I think you are trying to be a little over protective. I have kids of my own and understand wanting to protect them, but if you are that worried, then stick with newer cars that have all the added crash safety features now mandated. Aside from a full on race cage for the car(which must be welded in to be effective), there's not much you can do to improve the over all safety of the occupants. Especially the rear seat occupants which would be more at risk of injury in an accident than front passenger due to the limited space in the rear of the car for "crumple zones" and shorter distance a rear seat passenger would have to move to impact anything. Best way to be safe on the road is follow all laws and be a vigilant driver always aware of your surroundings and the other drivers around you.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

For what it's worth, when I was a teenager I lost control in an '85 Laser (same as Daytona) doing nearly 60mph on a gravel road and slid sideways into a tree, which hit straight in the middle of the passenger door. I had a friend riding shotgun. Not only were we both uninjured, we drove away from it. The G-bodies are tougher than you might think, provided they aren't suffering from a lot of structural rust. And the doors of all of our cars have very decent side-impact bars beneath the skin, which will take quite a hit.

Shame, that Laser was barely eleven years old when that happened.

Mitsu booster

Thank you supercrackerbox!! That definitely puts my mind at ease. Are you saying that the 90 daytona I am looking at has impact bars across the inside of the doors? I just wanted to check cause I have never seen what is under neath the door panels of these daytona's. Thanks again.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Yes. I wasn't able to find what year they became federally mandated, but I know it was prior to 1978 because my Regal has them too.

Here's another case:

This 1986 GLHS (chassis designed in 1978) was hit by a mid-'90s Cadillac that ran a red light well above the speed limit, estimated at roughly 50mph. While the guy riding shotgun did have some bruises and a pretty good bump on his head, both he and the driver walked away. Sadly the car had to be towed.

Again, there was no structural rust damage to this car, which will make all the difference. Both I and previous owner of this GLHS have scrapped several cars over the years because the undercarriage rust simply made them unsafe to drive ('86 GLHT, '86 Daytona CS, '85 Town & Country, '88 CSXT, and a '94 Acclaim). So be sure to check your Daytona over very well before you purchase it.