Thread: boiling coolant tank and etc

Hybrid booster

boiling coolant tank and etc

I was driving to work in my 89' Lebaron 2.5 Turbo all normal. When I got to a stoplight, I noticed a rough idle sound, it goes away when i accelerate but also the temperature gauge needle tried going higher than its middle point but the fan wouldnt let it. I get to my parking spot to check her out and noticed the radiator had half coolant inside, the coolant in the reservoir was boiling a bit. The head gasket is fairly new, previous owner had it done. Theres no white smoke, no coolant in oil, no coolant dripping near anywhere in the engine. In my lunch break, I did a test and had the temperature rise up to the " boiling point " and noticed the needle would go up in the middle then come down, only for it to come right back up after 20 seconds. Could this be a thermostat? also and FYI, my radiator cap is not spring loaded and the radiator still is about a year old. Thanks!
    1985 Dodge Shelby Charger *never ending project* 1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z *SOLD* 1989 Chrysler Lebaron 2.5 Turbo Convertible *CRUSHED* 2001 Dodge Stratus R/T *SOLD* 2006 Honda Accord Sedan EX-L

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: boiling coolant tank and etc

I would start with replacing the radiator cap.

Hybrid booster

changed the cap, still does the same but no more leak from the cap or boiling coolant
    1985 Dodge Shelby Charger *never ending project* 1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z *SOLD* 1989 Chrysler Lebaron 2.5 Turbo Convertible *CRUSHED* 2001 Dodge Stratus R/T *SOLD* 2006 Honda Accord Sedan EX-L

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Spycker View Post
    changed the cap, still does the same but no more leak from the cap or boiling coolant
    Does the heat work well in the car - good flow through the heater core?
    Does the bypass valve function properly and without restriction?

I've seen numerous vehicles where the heater coolant and/or bypass circuit has been omitted.
    This is an undesired scenario as the coolant system is designed to have a low-flow path around the thermostat.
    Without it or when it becomes blocked/restricted, the coolant system is dead-headed when the thermostat is closed and extreme temperature oscillations can occur much like you describe.

Hybrid booster

the heat works well, i havent changed the thermostat since I've gotten the car, bypass valve?

I'd make sure you don't have any air in the line. Fluctuation in the gauge like that usually means air pockets are present. If you have not, I would look at drilling a 1/16 hole in the t-stat and just ensure you bleed the system.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Spycker View Post
    the heat works well, i havent changed the thermostat since I've gotten the car, bypass valve?
    Typically located next to the brake booster or behind the battery tray, it looks like this.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    I'd make sure you don't have any air in the line.
    Fluctuation in the gauge like that usually means air pockets are present.
    If you have not, I would look at drilling a 1/16 hole in the t-stat and just ensure you bleed the system.
    Good point Jon.
    Most thermostats usually have existing provisions to support the air bleeding/burping process.
    This can be a very small hole provided by the manufacturer but can also exist as valve to seat clearance around the entire valve circumference and common valve notch provision.
    Where manufacturers provide these provisions, some consider it to be beneficial to install the valve so they are at the top for idle speed air purging.
    Although, normal/elevated engine RPM coolant flow rates accomplish air pocket movement to where it can be vented through the cap, during normal over-flow bottle operation.

Hybrid booster

the picture isnt showing up.

- - - Updated - - -

noticed splashes of oil around the head

Hybrid booster

The oil leakage and resulting residue seem to be from the VC/cam seal areas and most likely unrelated to the coolant issue.
    On the other hand, overheating a thermostat can damage it and if its also old then inspecting/replacing it may be worth while.

Hybrid booster

Ive just replaced the radiator cap and now theres that leak again, time for a new radiator?

Hybrid booster

Ive replaced the thermostat, thermostat housing, thermostat gasket. Ive also installed a new hose from the radiator filler cap to the reservoir tank. Theres no more leaks anywhere and im still getting bubbles bubbling in the tank and the temperature gauge only moves up then down during idle and street driving but not on the highway

Ok, but does the thermostat have the bleed hole? Did you install the t-stat with the bleed hole at the top? Did you run the heat while filling with water/coolant to ensure there were no air pockets in the system? If all the above has been done and everything checks out, I would suggest getting a block tester and seeing if you're getting combustion gas in the cooling system. The block tester is a liquid that reacts with whatever may be coming from the combustion chamber (short idiot version because I have no idea how exactly it works ). But when you use it, it will mix the fluid with the coolant and if it turns a certain color, it is indicative that there is combustionable gas getting in the cooling system.

This was the case with the IROC I drove cross country. We stopped in Seattle and tested it and sure enough it ended up being loose head bolts.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xcxumccf8Q

Could be just normal with the cap off.