Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crank swap

Hybrid booster

Crank swap

So I need to replace the crank in my '91 Spirit R/T due to #3 rod breaking and damaging crank. Problem is I don't have a engine hoist or engine stand to really be able to pull motor. Would it be feasable and easier to drop the transmission and just pull the crank with the motor still installed in the car?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Crank swap

Quote Originally Posted by HSKR View Post
    So I need to replace the crank in my '91 Spirit R/T due to #3 rod breaking and damaging crank. Problem is I don't have a engine hoist or engine stand to really be able to pull motor. Would it be feasable and easier to drop the transmission and just pull the crank with the motor still installed in the car?
    NO NO NO. You had catastrophic failure. The block needs stripping down and hot tanking. If your oil pan still has the elastomer panels, remove them otherwise your new engine won't last long. Go rent a cherry picker, probably cost $20.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

NO NO NO, I do NOT have the time, money, or facilities to do a complete tear down, tank, and rebuild. Otherwise this wouldn't even be a question. I understand where you are coming from, but it's just not feasible. If you can't help answer my question, then I don't need a lecture on what you feel I should do.

Wow, pretty angry for someone who's asking for advice. Well, your wish is my command, I am out and I'll ignore your new thread, why did my new engine blow up. Have a nice day.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hybrid booster

Just tired of people not understanding my current situation and telling me I NEED to do stuff that just isn't possible for me to do right now, even after explaining why I can't do it. And like others, instead of trying to understand the situation, or just answering the question asked, you tell me to do stuff I don't have the ability to do at this time, and then wonder why I get frustrated when my question isn't answered and basically give me the Christmas Story answer of "You'll shoot your eye out" for not listening to me, and you're not going to help me anymore because I didn't want to do it the way you said it "had to be" done.

boostaholic

When I was a kid a buddy and I replaced a crank in a 2.8l v6 chevy with a torn up journal. Is it technically possible? Absolutely. Would I go through that again in this lifetime? Hell no.

We still needed a cherry picker to move the engine away from the trans and should have just yanked the motor out and replaced the crank that way.

In your situation yes your idea seems to have the most merit but I've heard pulling a transmission out the bottom is a bear on these cars. I always just yank the whole mess...do what I have to and replace.

boostaholic

In my experience on my IROC R/T. Pulling the tranny off while leaving the engine up is no that hard, the issue I have had is getting the transmission back onto the engine and lining up the splines, next time I do this, if that happens. I will be making pins that thread into the motor so I am not trying to align the tranny and the splines, major PITA. Ive done all this without a cherry picker, it is feasable. I am just not sure how good I would feel about slapping a new crank in. I have personally had my car torn down to the point of basically the short block sitting in the engine bay. It can be done, but sooner or later when the time and money come, a full rebuilt would be reccommended, but I hear you on your situation.

turbo addict

We all NEED more money but that doesn't mean its an excuse to rob a bank... just sayin
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Hybrid booster

This is definitely just a "to get by" thing and a full rebuild will happen when I retire and move back to Nebraska in March and hhave my garage with all my tools, a cherry picker, engine stand, and most important, the garage itself as opposed to no garage to work in.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

While I agree with Simon, I understand your situation. The best I can tell you is this: A 2x4 laid across the engine bay with a chain or a decent strength ratcheting strap will support the engine. Be safe underneath. Clean everything as well as you possibly can before re-installing. Be warned that more often than not in these situations, the turbo fails shortly after due to debris in the oil galleys. Been there, done that. So you'll want to figure out a way to flush the turbo with clean oil as much as possible before running it again.

Best of luck.

boostaholic

To add onto the last comment. I know you recently installed a newer turbo on your car. I would highly reccommend getting a turbo oil inline filter. The have a removable insert you could clean and check, this small investment could save that new turbo if something goes wrong on the rebuild. I run a filter on mine all the time, a second level of protection if the oil filter doesnt grab the stuff.

If you want to do it in the car, remove the trans, then place a 2x4 across the top and chain up the trans end. Take the head off first, then remove the trans.

turbo addict

Then wait until march before doing anything.
    Use the money to ship the car back.

Hybrid booster

What money am I using to ship the car back? Oh you mean the money I don't have to do it "right" right now? Gotcha. If I had enough money to ship the car back, I'd just take it to a shop and say fix it.

turbo addict

Quit your attitude. We're here to give you advise and not here to take your attitude.

I honestly think your chance of putting it back together according to your plan, then drive it to Nebraska would result in a broken down car in the middle of no where. That engine already ate one oil pump, one intermediate shaft, one crank, two rod bearings (#3 and #4), and one turbo. On top of that 2nd gear doesn't engage. Do you really feel lucky with this car?

Hybrid booster

2nd gear works just fine now thank you very much. As for my attitude, as I said above, getting tired of people trying to be "helpful" by giving "advice" that doesn't answer the question asked, nor does it help my current situation. I completely understand what "should" be done, and I'm not arguing with that. Doing what should be done, just isn't in the equation right now, so I am stuck with doing what I can do to get it back on the road until I get to a place, logistically and financially, where I can do it "correctly". The sooner I can get it back on the road, the sooner I can start putting miles on it to see if I feel "lucky" enough to drive it cross country.

My goal is to be able to drive it to Nebraska so I can tow the carcass of my Daytona with my truck. If for whatever reason the Spirit just won't make it under it's own power I will tow it back with my truck, and just have to figure out what to do with whats left of the daytona, which will probably be sell it to JY for scrap. I'd like to keep the Daytona until I get back to Midwest because I know there are a lot more people back there looking for good rust free parts than in Cali and shipping would be a lot cheaper, if not eliminated by being close enough to deliver or for them to come pick up.

Hybrid booster

What would be the recommended micron size for the filter. I can find anything from 30micron up to 150micron.
    Last edited by HSKR; 11-12-2014 at 09:04 PM.

turbo addict

Just remember the guys telling you not to do this are speaking from experience. I dont know if you are new here, but this forum is mostly populated by guys that know what they are talking about not keyboard jokeys like most other forums. That said...

Have you had the pan off and inspected the block for damage? I parted out a T3 motor years ago that broke a rod. The rod flung around and tore up the block. Id make sure the block is okay before making any other plans. Mine had a hole in the block I did not find until it was tore down. A bracket was hiding it.

turbo addict

myself , I'd find every bit of scrap metal I could find and toss it in that daytona to make it weigh as much as I could
    then I'd take it to the wrecker's or call up a scrap hauller that will pay fairly for it - give it a wave and a kiss goodbye

take the cash out money from the daytona and rent a car dolly from u-haul - drag the sprit home and fix it when you can

Hybrid booster

I'm not saying they are full of ---- or don't know what they are talking about, but what they are telling me to do, I can't do where I am right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast