Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder coating GM "Tuned Port Induction"

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Powder coating GM "Tuned Port Induction"

I'm in the process of powder coating an intake manifold for an '89 Camaro with the "Tuned Port Induction" setup. It is a 305/700R4.

I can't post pictures at the moment but I'm wondering if anybody else out there has done this? I'm having some trouble taking apart the fuel rail/tubes. Other than that it should look pretty good when done. The colors aren't exactly what I would choose, but it's not my car.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Re: Powder coating GM "Tuned Port Induction"

Don't have experience but would like to see pics when done.
    Always wanted to put one on my 64 Nova.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

I hear ya. I'm doing some work on my older brother's '82 Impala and would love to see the L98 "TPI" setup underhood. VERY cool looking engine for sure!

Spent most of today cleaning and outgassing parts in the oven (shop is stinking big time!) Got a lot of taping off flanges ahead of me. Very tedious and time consuming process.

The owner of the '89 Camaro RS wants the lower intake manifold and plenum done in Eastwoods "Chrome Reflect". He wants the runners, throttle body plates and upper radiator outlet done in gloss red.

If it were me, I would do everything in Blasted Aluminum to make it look bone stock. Blasted Aluminum is by far my favorite powder.

Good choice. I like the natural aluminum colors too.
    But when those were more plentiful there were always lots of them painted up at carshows.
    I saw an old 1 gen chevy II with a tpi motor and it really looked sweet.
    My plan for mine was to use the original 283 v8 with the tpi intake, convert to MAP and twin turbo it with two mitsus.
    Who knows, maybe someday.
    Wayne H.

'89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw

I know what you mean! I've thought about that kind of setup on my brother's '82 Impala using a GM TPI setup and an eBay twin turbo kit. Unfortunately I've found that I would have to mix and match parts to get it to work. Specifically I would have to use a very early TPI lower intake manifold (because of the center bolt angle difference) and a later upper intake from a '90 TPI engine so it could use a MAP sensor instead of the MAF.

I have all the parts cleaned and taped off and am about ready to go out to the shop and get the oven, powder coater, and air compressor setup. I might have to miss tonight's episode of The Walking Dead, but oh well.

I'm going to start by powder coating the Edelbrock Performer intake for the '82 Impala in Eastwood's "Reflective Chrome". Then a coat of "Metallic Bronze", then "Gloss Clear". If all that goes as planned I will start on the GM TPI parts for my friends '89 Camaro. I haven't PC'd in quite a while so..

Attachment 52124
    Last edited by iTurbo; 11-16-2014 at 06:24 PM.

I was powder coating an Edelbrock Performer intake manifold for the small block Chevrolet tonight and it didn't end so well. I attempted to coat in in (1.) base coat of Reflective Chrome, (2.) color coat of Bronze Metallic, (3.) Clear coat.

This is the same procedure I had done on my Caliber SRT valve cover which came out very nice. Unfortunately, this time it didn't turn out so good. I ended up with a Tootsie Roll brown color, BUT, it strangely wrinkled very nicely. Nice squigely lines in the texture which I really like. Much better than the 'wrinkle' powders I have used which come out more of a 'textured' look.

Wierd. Live and learn I guess. I'm not sure if I'll strip it and start over or just install the damn thing already. I'll probably strip it but damn that is a lot of work with no blast cabinet!

Hybrid booster

Are you using fresh powder, or something you had from before? I've found in my experience, no matter how well sealed you think you have the media, it it's more than a month or two old it just doesn't lay right. Also, and it may just be the brand I was using, but my only experience trying to use a clear was over top a charcoal grey on a set of wheels. Looked great for a couple weeks, then the clear started getting patchy and separating from the base coat.

My favorite color so far as been the two stage metallic blue I did to match the Dodge Intense Blue Pearl paint on my truck. Not the most current pic, but everything blue you see under the hood is powdercoating I did in my garage.

Hybrid booster

I use a Craftsman powdercoating gun. Self contained and doesn't require an air compressor.

Got done powder coating this setup for the most part tonight. The owner and I are both happy with the results. It isn't 100% perfect as I found that it was nearly impossible to get the powder to adhere between the intake runner tubes. They are so close together that the "faraday cage effect" prevented the powder from adhering 100%. But it is minor enough that it would have to be pointed out for anyone to notice.

The lower intake manifold and upper plenum are done in Eastwood 'Argent' silver and close to chrome. The runners, thermostat housing, and throttle body plates are Eastwood 'bright red'. The fuel rails are polished to a bright silver by the owner. I was not able to powder coat those because of the inability to disassemble them completely.

I still have to go to the local machine shop to have the "Tuned Port Injection" TB plate blasted and coat that as well as the throttle body cable bracket but it is looking really nice so far. I hope I can get my camera to work again..

I also was successful in powder coating the plastic coil cover which is basically an extension of the upper plenum on the GM TPI setup. Even though it was plastic, it now is the same "Argent" silver as the upper plenum and looks as if it is one piece. I have been successful in PC'ing plastic parts so far, but in order for me to PC the runners (perfectly) I believe it would take a 'fluidized bed' technique which I just don't have available at the moment. I am seriously considering upgrading my PC gun to the newer Eastwood 'dual voltage' unit though. A higher static voltage would help for sure.
    Last edited by iTurbo; 12-06-2014 at 10:08 PM.

Attachment 52317Attachment 52318Attachment 52319Attachment 52320Attachment 52321Attachment 52322Attachment 52323

I plan to loosely assembly everything tomorrow and get more pics and also place it atop the '82 Impala just to see how it looks and get some ideas.

Wow. That argent looks great!
    Going to be sharpe when assembled.
    Wayne H.

I got it assembled this morning. Still have to do the "TPI" plate and block sand out the letters as well as the throttle cable bracket. I do like the Argent color from Eastwood a lot and it is much closer to chrome than their "Reflective Chrome" powder.

Attachment 52339Attachment 52336Attachment 52338Attachment 52337Attachment 52330Attachment 52331Attachment 52332Attachment 52333Attachment 52334Attachment 52335Attachment 52340

Pretty cool bro!
    Wayne H.

Thanks, ever since I was a little kid I've always thought the GM TPI L98 was one of the coolest looking engines out there, so I was actually looking forward to doing it for one of my friends cars. This is the stock setup from his '89 Camaro RS which is a 305 CI and will likely only make around 200 WHP. The TPI engines were antiquated by the later LT1 and LS motors especially, but who cares, it's all fun!

Mitsu booster

Nice work jeremy! Need to get you some of my G8 parts to do haha

Ha right on Dan. At this point I want nothing more than to concentrate on the Shelby Lancer.

Looks like I'll be doing the valve covers, oil pan and timing cover next. Here's to hoping I get more than a case of beer this time.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Holy cow. What does a case of beer cost these days?

I admit I like the "L98" setup due to nostalgia....but I am also guilty of whoring myself out sometimes. The 'case' of beer was actually a 30-pack of Busch Light that probably cost $22.

EDIT: I will also say that it wasn't about the case of beer. It was very satisfying putting it together and feeling good about a job well done. The owner is ecstatic about it. I am happy to have done it despite all the work (mostly cleaning). It's not absolutely perfect but I am happy with the results.
    Last edited by iTurbo; 12-09-2014 at 12:48 AM.

The guy that owns the parts that I powder coated is very happy with the results (whew). I will be doing the valve covers, front timing cover, and oil pan next.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast