Thread: Fuel Smell inside car and rear of car 1984 Dodge 600 2.2 Turbo Conv

Mitsu booster

Fuel Smell inside car and rear of car 1984 Dodge 600 2.2 Turbo Conv

Hi To All,

I have an 84 Dodge 600 2.2 Turbo Conv. Past few weeks I have been noticing a real strong Fuel Smell inside my car and as I drive it I smell fuel on the outside of the car driving it. The Smell is real strong and when I have my windows up I don't smell it as bad but I eventually smell fuel in the back seat area. I also smell it in the back seat area when I shut the car off. The smell seems to sit there for awhile. The fuel odor is real strong. I have taken it to a few shops and no one can find out where its leaking from. I did some looking around myself but do not see a leak. Its really frustrating and I don't want anything to happen to my car while this is going on. The fuel smell is really strong, it smells like I just pumped gas in my car and the odor is real heavy as I drive and inside the car around the back seat area. Please help me out!!! Any Suggestions

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: Fuel Smell inside car and rear of car 1984 Dodge 600 2.2 Turbo Conv

Rubber fuel hose at the tank and/or filter are most likely leaking.

Mitsu booster

Thanks! 135sohc would you happen to have a picture of what to look for? Well I'm familiar with the fuel filter, as far as the rubber fuel hose, are there like 2 or 3 rubber hoses near the fuel pump area. I'm able to see those lines when look up underneath the car while lying on my back. Any more hoses that I should be looking for.

turbo addict

Check all fuel hose for wetness. There are two under the hood, and 3-5 near the fuel pump.

Stop driving it until you located it and fix the fuel leak or risk car on fire.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I've seen a lot of the hard lines rust through around the area where the trailing arm is on it's way toward the fuel filter. I would check that area too.

Honestly, if you can smell it in the car you've got a gusher. Run a jumper wire from the + battery terminal to the + side of the coil. That will energize the fuel pump and allow you to look/listen for leaks with the motor off.

turbo addict

there are fuel hoses at the rear center of the tank also

it could also be the gromit for the filler neck going into the tank , the roll over vent valve on top of the tank or the hose going to it or the top of the tank it's self could be rusted through by now too

but as mentioned above the steel lines like to rot out at the back end of the pass side rocker panel , just forward of the filter

if the rust on the fuel line is orange it's probably not leaking but if the rust spots are dark brown or black it's probably wet with gas and is the leak or is close to the leak