Thread: Looking for VIN help (off the wall)

Looking for VIN help (off the wall)

I am looking for some help with an VIN number (off the wall), the number makes no sense, the seller says the car is a 1988 CSX or (kind of vague here) might have been built as a custom car (pilot?).

mi0111a237x021188 (Yes the first letter is (M) as in Mike and the second letter is (I) as in indigo, that is the VIN I was given)

Take a crack at it and please post/ PM any supporting information as the DMV was "concerned" about the VIN and the cars current location.

Thanks, Paul

Re: Looking for VIN help (off the wall)

the 10th digit is the model year in the VIN. It is a letter.

1988 is J

Garrett booster

Ask the seller to take a picture of the data plate under the hood:

Zooming into the data plate on this picture I found of the car, it does appear to be a bit weird. I can't read it but the placement of the pixelated letters do seem off. Even if it doesn't have a vin number, which may be true, it'll still be cool to look at.

The only other thing I can think of is it may be a Michigan state custom built car vin number (hence the mi). In which case the state of Michigan may be able to help you on. I see on the Michigan DMV site it mentions that they assign and affix a Vin Sticker. You might have to ask the owner to take a picture of it for proof for your DMV.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Sounds like a state DMV issued VIN to replace a lost, damaged or stolen VIN.
    The title should have some info about it.

I have asked the seller for pics of the VIN plate, the seller did state the car has a Michigan title. The big issue is will PENNdot (or any other MVA) issue title and tags. I am sure my insurance company will freak out over this as this car will not fit into one of their boxes. Time will tell.

Paul