Thread: 86 2.2 turbo laser, thinking about putting back together... any fun bits I should do?

Mitsu booster

86 2.2 turbo laser, thinking about putting back together... any fun bits I should do?

Ok, I've been kicking around the idea of putting my old 86 laser back on the road. This was my first car (not counting a 67 falcon that I sold off before I got running). I had just replaced the transmission when left for college (94). Well, a few years turned into 20. It was almost hauled to scrap once and I caught it in time. Maybe would have been better to let it go... anyhow. IF I put it back together it will be for personal entertainment. As these motors always seemed to be redheaded children back in the day... are parts still readily available these days? It looks like the knowledge base in some of the links here no longer works. I'm still a mopar guy, but stay either with jeeps, diesels or V8s. Long ago I had thought about doing the K member swap and dumping a 360 in it, but now I think I'd just like to see it run again and maybe see about putting some pep in it. Any obvious things that are worth while if I'm pulling it all apart?

Hybrid booster

Re: 86 2.2 turbo laser, thinking about putting back together... any fun bits I should

The parts are still available. Whats never available is the time to get to work on them! Good luck with the project, look forward to seeing it.

Hybrid booster

Re: 86 2.2 turbo laser, thinking about putting back together... any fun bits I should

Well, I'm sure others can add ideas, but I'd swap the cam for an '88 model roller, then upgrade the exhaust down pipe and system to at least 2 1/2", then call FWD Performance and get a 12lb boost calibration for it. Make sure to replace the fuel hoses under the hood and under the car.
    1986 Chrysler Lebaron 2 dr. R.I.P. 2.2 T1 log intake, modified to intercool Best 1/8th 9.03@77mph / Best 1/4 14.16@93.55mph Running on E85:nod:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '93 Spirit 2.5 TBI 5 Spd(sold), '85 Ramcharger, 360 4brl, NP435 4 Spd. The new ride; '90 Sundance 2.5 T1/5 spd. FMIC(from Ford Probe) new Mitsu; Best 1/8th 8.96@79.16 / Best 1/4 14.06@101.27

turbo addict

A Hoosier! Where are you in Indiana? I grew up in Corydon for the first 18 years (or so) of my life.

Parts are hard to find. I hate to be the one who says it. It has the "suck through" design and there is little out there for it. I mean, new cars have plenty and the classics from the 60s and 70s have plenty of parts. But the 80s don't get nearly the attention.

They are beautiful cars. I have an '86 Daytona, basically the same car, so I'm rather partial.

Nothing wrong with putting it back together, but don't expect the same money as a '70 Hemi Cuda convertible (or even 1/20th of that, really). They, however, are fun as hell when well built and working well. Nothing like giving a modern sports car a run for its money.

Mitsu booster

Close to Medora Indiana, if you know where that is. Back in high school it was the only lsd between my friends and I. I still thought that was weird that it had it. But yeah, not sure I'm up for scraping it and if I'm going to keep it around it might as well be running. Heck one of my children may be interested once they are old enough to drive.

turbo addict

I know roughly where Medora is located. I used to frequently drive between Indy and Corydon and would often use highway 135 and US 50 between Seymore and Corydon just to get out of the mess of I-65.

Pictures of the car? What all is wrong with it?

Mitsu booster

What's wrong with it now? Probably a lot having sat so long. However, at the time after i replaced the transmission when I'd start it, the flex plate was hitting something and making a klanging sound. I think it was the sheet metal plate that goes between (don't know the proper name). Cosmetically it needed some work too. My girlfriend's sister at the time had rolled it ,but amazingly all that was wrong was a dented fender.