Thread: Can a hotter spark = higher EGTs?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Can a hotter spark = higher EGTs?

Recently I finally solved a long-term ignition issue. It turns out I was using a coil that wasn't quite suited for our electronics. I now have a stock coil wired in place and things feel great. In fact, stronger and smoother at high RPMs than before.

I was cruising down a private road the other day and had her wound up good. I was at about 4600rpm in 5th gear. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw my EGT gauge crest 1600F. In 7 years, I've never seen it that high. Could the better spark be contributing to it? The car wasn't leaning out according to the wideband. I'm running regular Stratus 2.4 valves, and I know some people have ran pretty hot without damaging them. I don't want to press my luck with it though.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Can a hotter spark = higher EGTs?

and your ignition advance is???? EGT is a lot more complicated than AFR. Winding out 5th gear is a lot of load and even more heat.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

If you have forged pistons, 1600 is fine. Sounds more like a timing issue. If you have a misfiring cylinder, EGT's will be low due to unburnt fuel, so now, you've fixed the crappy spark but unmasked another problem.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

I know it's not simply a matter of air/fuel, but it's an all of a sudden thing, so I'm going through what's been recently changed. That's what brought me to the spark. I'm running stock SRT slugs, so there's another reason to pay close attention to temperature.

Could be timing I guess. I was wrestling around over near the distributor the other day. Maybe I nudged it.

I'm having other weird issues now, so who knows. I really want to put this car away problem-free for the winter so I can just drive it in April.
    Jon J.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

What are you using for a cal?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Using one of Rob's cals. I checked the plugs afterwards and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I've been keeping a close eye on it and it hasn't done it again.
    Jon J.

turbo addict

Make sure your base timing is good. Also make sure your ignition advance is ok. Timing that is retarded can cause high EGT's. Just like Brent said before.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

All of a sudden thing? Did you really cruise around in boost at 100+ mph with a misfire before? I kind of doubt it. It could simply be an issue of heat gain after staying in high load for a long time.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    All of a sudden thing? Did you really cruise around in boost at 100+ mph with a misfire before? I kind of doubt it. It could simply be an issue of heat gain after staying in high load for a long time.
    I'm thinking that's all it was, and I just happened to notice it this time. Especially since it wasn't wide-open the whole time. Some of it was part-throttle cruise with little to no boost.
    Jon J.