Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: TU and F4 Camshaft Follow-on Discussion

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Re: TU and F4 Camshaft Follow-on Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by dwh4784 View Post
    What are you talking about? Nobody hung onto the old logic that the 1 piece was all the intake you'd ever need. And there was never any resistance to trying PT lifters in these things. Or that a wide band is necessary over the old narrow band. Those are distinct examples where this community embraced discussion and changes right from the......yeah never mind you got me. Heck I resisted all three for years and still use a 1 piece.

lol Ya, don't get me wrong, there Are Individuals that are progressively making changes happen, but the trickle down effect always seems to be a battle.

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Hybrid booster

YOW! Am I reading all of this correctly?
    Is there a line of members awaiting their chance to bash Shadow?

Maybe I'm wrong here(and that's OK with me), but if Shadow were to simply reveal all he's done,
    wouldn't he actually be "robbing" newcomers of their chance to learn, as we all did?

As we progress, upgrading and trying different configurations, we become better.
    (Better, more knowledgeable techs, and better people overall)
    If we simply disclose these potentially dangerous details, someone could be hurt.
    Also, if an inexperienced new member builds a copy of "The Charger",
    and runs say, an 11.5sec 1/4mi, they'd surely return with questions like this;
    "I'm turning the distributor around and around, and can't get to 10sec. What do I do?"
    Revealing mods with such gains in power like Shadow's is like handing a child an automatic weapon.
    Also, it's surely not a single mod which enables Shadow to run the times he does.
    I'm 100% sure that his results are the product of several well thought out,
    and thoroughly performed precise modifications working together.
    As well as attention to details often overlooked by most.

It's understandable that the assumption is he's simply running more boost,
    but it seems ridiculous to seriously consider such a thing.
    Boost is very easily increased.
    However, many just turn up the boost, without compensating elsewhere.
    The result is 40lbs of boost throughout the intake path,
    which cant actually get into the combustion chamber efficiently,
    can't properly ignite, and cannot be properly expelled.

I have the utmost respect for Shadow.
    And this is primarily due to how thorough he is.
    His approach is a "Back to Basics" one;
    Intake
    Compression
    Power
    Exhaust
    Tuning to have each of the internal combustion engine's strokes performing to their optimum levels,
    and modifying to have the ability to adjust if and when necessary.

Just my 2 cents.
    Have a great day everyone!

knownenemy aka; signsoflife22

Quote Originally Posted by glhs875 View Post
    If you truly want the misconception of the higher boost levels as being the reason to die, then why don't you say in this thread the very reason (s) that make (s) your combo so special/better than everyone else. And if you truly want to help people learn and progress, I feel you should let the cat (s) out of the bag (in simple straight to the point words)! It could change my opinion if you would. Otherwise the opinion I have and I am sure others have will remain the same. Of the parts that I have seen mentioned in your combo I fail to see anything really different or special from what many other members have on this forum and other forums as well. And not only Turbo Dodge forums,but other manufacturers/brands. What's the secret (s)? 39 PSI x 12 horsepower per PSI equals adding 468 horsepower to what ever the engine makes N/A (approx. 100 horsepower) which equals a total of 568 horsepower. That is real close to your horsepower claim but of the norm to what MANY other people make or can make with there combo!
    That's a very good Q, and one that I have attempted to answer for over 10 years. I believe it has to do with how people define "efficiency", couple that with the inherent challenges of the 8v motor itself and it ends up being a double whammy.

Now, I'm Only going to address this as I see it pertaining to the upper % of individuals who have made vast attempt at making Big power and going fast, because the other side of the coin is people just Don't take the time to get their set-up "dialed in" and without the right amount of attention to detail you will Never get there.

Most still seem to believe that "efficiency"= more power on lower boost. THIS is the single Biggest mistake I have seen! Over and Over again, someone comes out with a car that goes X fast on Only X boost and everyone jumps on board and thinks it's the best thing since Sliced Bread!

They Believe (As You have stated) that all they need to do is turn up the boost and they will go right into the 9's! (Just an eg. # but it seems that it's where we're going) Unfortunately, when they Do turn up the boost, they hit the brick wall faster than ever expected, can't figure out Why they Can't make the power the turbo is rated for and Give up in frustration.

Why did this happen? Because their build was Not Efficient at all! They Failed to realise that by targeting a certain hp/ boost # (Too High) they Narrowed the window that the entire system could operate within. (I hope I'm writing this plain enough to make sense?)

Why can the Charger do what it does? Because from the beginning, I understood that "Efficiency" meant the Efficiency of the Entire system! So I Never had Any hp/ boost target. I only had a goal of being able to run the turbo completely OUT breath As Efficiently as possible.

The Boost # itself is completely Irrelevant, only the Air moving through the mtr. IF the system Want to operate at 3 bar positive pressure because of it's restrictive nature, then let it do just that!

In a nutshell, I started off with the right way of thinking about Efficiency and it lead to everything else. I always ran the Smaller A/R/ wheel'd turbine housing and always got the Most power out of them. (this when the rest (mostly) of the community was arguing Larger A/R and You can't make HP out of that little housing)

Remember, Everyone thought that the 9cm housing on the holset would be Way too small for making Big power! They would rather run a Big A/R and Big turbine wheel through a 3" exhaust, while I ran the Small A/R/ small wheel through a 4" exhaust

When I first put the 4" cone filter onto the 46 trim S/C 10+ years ago, everyone though it was a total waste of time and would gain nothing. When I first built the 4" downpipe for the Charger, many also thought that was a huge waste of time and was Not needed.

I could go on and on about Every little change I've made to allow the Entire system to work in Harmony with itself and so it just Keeps on Singing when others run out of breath. I have documented All of it on the net, so what I'm saying here isn't anything "New". I've kept no secrets on what I've done, but Still, no one else that I've seen (other than Warren) seems to Really Get what they're building. (maybe Reeves, we'll have to see when he gets a Real clutch in there!)

It's All straight forward and doable, but you have to be able to See the End of it, not just the middle or the beginning. Most build for the middle or the beginning, then stumble trying to figure out Why they can't reach the end.

Let's also not forget the Effort. This is a Passion for me, so I Am Driven. I Love a Challenge, and this has been a Challenge that I face with mouth watering. I can't speak for others, so I Don't Know how Driven they are? I would say most that don't reach their goal just run into too much frustration and it becomes not worth it to them, and that's for each individual to say.

Remember, I Didn't say the Charger was Better than All the Rest. I Only said that as far as I've seen (other than Warren) the Charger has made As much or more power, and definitely on less of a platform to boot!

For all we know, there Could be a build out there that only needs high boost tuning and would be More efficient, but until we See it, what good is talking about it?

So it's picking the right turbo for your goals, then making sure you have all the right pieces to Allow the mtr to Breath that turbo too the End! IF you do it right, you will be rewarded with the Best powerband Possible as an end result! (Large window vs small window of Efficiency)

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Quote Originally Posted by knownenemy View Post

Maybe I'm wrong here(and that's OK with me), but if Shadow were to simply reveal all he's done,
    wouldn't he actually be "robbing" newcomers of their chance to learn, as we all did?

As we progress, upgrading and trying different configurations, we become better.
    If we simply disclose these potentially dangerous details, someone could be hurt.
    "I'm turning the distributor around and around, and can't get to 10sec. What do I do?"
    Revealing mods with such gains in power like Shadow's is like handing a child an automatic weapon.
    Also, it's surely not a single mod which enables Shadow to run the times he does.

Intake
    Compression
    Power
    Exhaust
    Tuning to have each of the internal combustion engine's strokes performing to their optimum levels,

Just my 2 cents.

Wow! That was a Great post Bro! You have No idea what it means to know there Are individuals out there that "Get it"!

Thanks!

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    That's a very good Q, and one that I have attempted to answer for over 10 years. I believe it has to do with how people define "efficiency", couple that with the inherent challenges of the 8v motor itself and it ends up being a double whammy.

Now, I'm Only going to address this as I see it pertaining to the upper % of individuals who have made vast attempt at making Big power and going fast, because the other side of the coin is people just Don't take the time to get their set-up "dialed in" and without the right amount of attention to detail you will Never get there.

Most still seem to believe that "efficiency"= more power on lower boost. THIS is the single Biggest mistake I have seen! Over and Over again, someone comes out with a car that goes X fast on Only X boost and everyone jumps on board and thinks it's the best thing since Sliced Bread!

They Believe (As You have stated) that all they need to do is turn up the boost and they will go right into the 9's! (Just an eg. # but it seems that it's where we're going) Unfortunately, when they Do turn up the boost, they hit the brick wall faster than ever expected, can't figure out Why they Can't make the power the turbo is rated for and Give up in frustration.

Why did this happen? Because their build was Not Efficient at all! They Failed to realise that by targeting a certain hp/ boost # (Too High) they Narrowed the window that the entire system could operate within. (I hope I'm writing this plain enough to make sense?)

Why can the Charger do what it does? Because from the beginning, I understood that "Efficiency" meant the Efficiency of the Entire system! So I Never had Any hp/ boost target. I only had a goal of being able to run the turbo completely OUT breath As Efficiently as possible.

The Boost # itself is completely Irrelevant, only the Air moving through the mtr. IF the system Want to operate at 3 bar positive pressure because of it's restrictive nature, then let it do just that!

In a nutshell, I started off with the right way of thinking about Efficiency and it lead to everything else. I always ran the Smaller A/R/ wheel'd turbine housing and always got the Most power out of them. (this when the rest (mostly) of the community was arguing Larger A/R and You can't make HP out of that little housing)

Remember, Everyone thought that the 9cm housing on the holset would be Way too small for making Big power! They would rather run a Big A/R and Big turbine wheel through a 3" exhaust, while I ran the Small A/R/ small wheel through a 4" exhaust

When I first put the 4" cone filter onto the 46 trim S/C 10+ years ago, everyone though it was a total waste of time and would gain nothing. When I first built the 4" downpipe for the Charger, many also thought that was a huge waste of time and was Not needed.

I could go on and on about Every little change I've made to allow the Entire system to work in Harmony with itself and so it just Keeps on Singing when others run out of breath. I have documented All of it on the net, so what I'm saying here isn't anything "New". I've kept no secrets on what I've done, but Still, no one else that I've seen (other than Warren) seems to Really Get what they're building. (maybe Reeves, we'll have to see when he gets a Real clutch in there!)

It's All straight forward and doable, but you have to be able to See the End of it, not just the middle or the beginning. Most build for the middle or the beginning, then stumble trying to figure out Why they can't reach the end.

Let's also not forget the Effort. This is a Passion for me, so I Am Driven. I Love a Challenge, and this has been a Challenge that I face with mouth watering. I can't speak for others, so I Don't Know how Driven they are? I would say most that don't reach their goal just run into too much frustration and it becomes not worth it to them, and that's for each individual to say.

Remember, I Didn't say the Charger was Better than All the Rest. I Only said that as far as I've seen (other than Warren) the Charger has made As much or more power, and definitely on less of a platform to boot!

For all we know, there Could be a build out there that only needs high boost tuning and would be More efficient, but until we See it, what good is talking about it?

So it's picking the right turbo for your goals, then making sure you have all the right pieces to Allow the mtr to Breath that turbo too the End! IF you do it right, you will be rewarded with the Best powerband Possible as an end result! (Large window vs small window of Efficiency)
    Thanks for your reply and I like your response! And thanks for pointing out the two main differences from the norm that are parts related and that your combo has, and that I feel helps tremendously with power production and efficiency. The two being the 4" turbo inlet along with the 4" exhaust downpipe. The downpipe most likely being more helpful than the inlet, but I could be wrong with that assumption. I feel from personal experience that the 4" downpipe with a nice smooth bend or better yet, no bend after the turbo offers a HUGE gain even over a stock style 3" swing valve downpipe which still helps greatly over a stock size swingvalve downpipe. Is more power available if one goes larger than 4" diameter with the downpipe/exhaust on a well thought out and tuned combo? My opinion is quite possibly! On my car pertaining to the 4" exhaust. I first had a stock style 3" swingvalve and used a 3" to 4" diameter cone and then 4" exhaust from that point on. Noticed maybe a small gain. It wasn't until I fabbed up a custom 4" smooth bend downpipe straight from the turbo that I noticed a HUGE gain!
    Last edited by glhs875; 11-06-2014 at 11:47 AM.

turbo addict

This is great info Rob. Makes me wish I could work on my car more....

I think its a little contradictory to tell Rob you think he brags too much about his build and then right after ask him to tell you all the details of it.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    This is great info Rob. Makes me wish I could work on my car more....

I think its a little contradictory to tell Rob you think he brags too much about his build and then right after ask him to tell you all the details of it.
    Again, never did I say Robs car wasn't impressive! And I already pretty much knew the combo Rob has! I mainly don't like the impression I get when Rob is talking down to people and treating them like they are stupid! (that bothers me a lot) At least that is the impression that I get when I read some of his posts! And if you feel similar towards me, that is fine!

turbo addict

Hey Rob when you getting back out this way still have the offer for you to drive BoostGeeks charger (which is in storage since his stroke) . We really want to see how well the will one off cam ( just a little smaller than warren cam )will perform . Plus there free beer and BACON!!!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crusty shadow View Post
    I've never done that. I assume it's as simple as drilling and tapping a hole in the exhaust manifold and installing a gauge or a heat resistant map sensor?
    Yep, drill before the turbo, then coil some metal tubing, IE brake line or copper tubing, this acts as a heat sink, then run the line inside the vehicle and use another boost gauge. You generally want a gauge that reads 2-3 times the boost you want to run, just to be safe. Also, run a small filter inline to keep the crap out of the gauge.

This is my turbo diesel van, towing up a steep hill, van weighs 6000 lbs, trailer weight 7000 lbs. Boost is 13 psi, DP is 17 psi

Quote Originally Posted by knownenemy View Post

Intake
    Compression
    Power
    Exhaust

Just my 2 cents.

Completely disgree, we are here to learn, spread our knowledge and share what we've done to our builds, what works and what doesn't. If the person doesn't do that, then why are they here? To chest thump, hear themselves talk? This is a community based on sharing. I and others have posted many failures, what we've done to our builds etc and it helps everyone learn. Also, no 2 builds are the same and we warn people of that. Now, before Rob rebuts, I am not talking about him,

Quote Originally Posted by bakes View Post
    Hey Rob when you getting back out this way still have the offer for you to drive BoostGeeks charger (which is in storage since his stroke) . We really want to see how well the will one off cam ( just a little smaller than warren cam )will perform . Plus there free beer and BACON!!!
    I wanna drive it!
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Thanks for your reply and I like your response! And thanks for pointing out the two main differences from the norm that are parts related and that your combo has, and that I feel helps tremendously with power production and efficiency. The two being the 4" turbo inlet along with the 4" exhaust downpipe. The downpipe most likely being more helpful than the inlet, but I could be wrong with that assumption. I feel from personal experience that the 4" downpipe with a nice smooth bend or better yet, no bend after the turbo offers a HUGE gain even over a stock style 3" swing valve downpipe which still helps greatly over a stock size swingvalve downpipe. Is more power available if one goes larger than 4" diameter with the downpipe/exhaust on a well thought out and tuned combo? My opinion is quite possibly! On my car pertaining to the 4" exhaust. I first had a stock style 3" swingvalve and used a 3" to 4" diameter cone and then 4" exhaust from that point on. Noticed maybe a small gain. It wasn't until I fabbed up a custom 4" smooth bend downpipe straight from the turbo that I noticed a HUGE gain!
    Now we're Talkin! See, sometimes (most times) you just need to break the ice for things to get rolling. This is why I try as hard as possible to Not get offended with anything said, Way to easy to Lose the conversation completely when that happens.

Again, never did I say Robs car wasn't impressive! And I already pretty much knew the combo Rob has! I mainly don't like the impression I get when Rob is talking down to people and treating them like they are stupid! (that bothers me a lot) At least that is the impression that I get when I read some of his posts! And if you feel similar towards me, that is fine!
    I hear what you're saying, but Please, in the future, try and Watch Just WHO I come across that way to (Did you feel I came across that way to you?)

I Reserve the right, when clearly under attack AND when I have Already been through it before with the Same person, To bring to bear the Truth in order to put things properly to rest. I Know this can come across very Harshly (Truth being the Two Edged Sword which cuts through everything else) but I hope you notice (for the most part) I don't draw first Blood. I simple Defend the accusations being made. Now, there will always be some back and forth "Shots" in there as well, as that is simply the "accepted" way people deal with things and I allow my Ego to do the same in those situations.

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Quote Originally Posted by bakes View Post
    I would be Honored to IF we could figure the time to set it up. (Damn, I Was in Edmonton in July)

I will have to pay attention when we are heading down that way again, Really wanted to hook up with you guys after we talked about that.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanmanČ View Post
    Completely disgree, we are here to learn, spread our knowledge and share what we've done to our builds, what works and what doesn't. If the person doesn't do that, then why are they here? To chest thump, hear themselves talk? This is a community based on sharing. I and others have posted many failures, what we've done to our builds etc and it helps everyone learn. Also, no 2 builds are the same and we warn people of that. Now, before Rob rebuts, I am not talking about him,
    I think the Best part of that post was the light humour that was ever present from the very Beginning and slightly along the way. I think you just took it a little Too literally

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

turbo addict

Now we're Talkin! See, sometimes (most times) you just need to break the ice for things to get rolling. This is why I try as hard as possible to Not get offended with anything said, Way to easy to Lose the conversation completely when that happens.

I hear what you're saying, but Please, in the future, try and Watch Just WHO I come across that way to (Did you feel I came across that way to you?
    No Rob, I did not feel anything directed towards me personally. I was simply playing the mother goose! And there are no hard feelings on my part. I feel this is an outstanding forum with some very intelligent people on board! That is why I have been a member since 2005!

Let me just add this; Most people think that the Motor is the Heart of the build, and to a certain extent that's true................but it's Really the Turbo

Think about it, what are you attempting to do with Ever Single Engine mod? Make the Turbo work More Efficiently. I recognised Very early on that to do all of that and Not address the Immediate restriction Before and After the turbo was like shooting yourself in the foot on purpose.

So, Yes, the 4" intake (specially IF the turbo IS 4" intake IS Just as important as the exhaust IMO when looking for Optimum power. Basically Any restriction that hurts the turbo drawing IN air, or Exhausting it OUT, Should be the First concerns.

I concentrated on those Two things and I believe it has Everything to do with how things have gone with the Charger.

- - - Updated - - -

No Rob, I did not feel anything directed towards me personally. I was simply playing the mother goose! And there are no hard feelings on my part. I feel this is an outstanding forum with some very intelligent people on board! That is why I have been a member since 2005!
    Ha, I just recognized the info in your sig Bro! I Remember you from back then when I was first working all of this stuff out!

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

turbo addict

Let me just add this; Most people think that the Motor is the Heart of the build, and to a certain extent that's true................but it's Really the Turbo

Think about it, what are you attempting to do with Ever Single Engine mod? Make the Turbo work More Efficiently. I recognised Very early on that to do all of that and Not address the Immediate restriction Before and After the turbo was like shooting yourself in the foot on purpose.

So, Yes, the 4" intake (specially IF the turbo IS 4" intake IS Just as important as the exhaust IMO when looking for Optimum power. Basically Any restriction that hurts the turbo drawing IN air, or Exhausting it OUT, Should be the First concerns.

I concentrated on those Two things and I believe it has Everything to do with how things have gone with the Charger.

- - - Updated - - -

Ha, I just recognized the info in your sig Bro! I Remember you from back then when I was first working all of this stuff out!
    I agree 100%!

Completely Agree with you there, but lately not so much discussion.........

I'm Hoping that will change as I believe this thread is Really going to pick up once some info starts getting posted, which should be by some time next week

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I think the Best part of that post was the light humour that was ever present from the very Beginning and slightly along the way. I think you just took it a little Too literally
    Nah, just re-iterating why we post on Forums, seems some seem to forget whey they exist. Again, not saying you,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Completely Agree with you there, but lately not so much discussion.........

I'm Hoping that will change as I believe this thread is Really going to pick up once some info starts getting posted, which should be by some time next week
    I never did get my last combo totally worked out! I am sure I could have broke deep into the 7's (1/8th) on the street radials with 1 simple but time consuming mod that I never did do before I got rid of the car. Which was fabricate an external wastegate set up. I had uncontrollable boost creep above 5500rpm with things used as normal. I was controlling the creep with the BOV which is a terrible thing to do. But that allowed me to make some passes! I hope things pick up soon as far progress goes! It has been kind of boring lately. and although I don't have GLHS875 any longer,or even a running car at the moment, I still think about things everyday and have a new idea or two I would like to try out soon! I also know what car I would like to build and modify next. if I can ever score one!
    Last edited by glhs875; 11-06-2014 at 04:13 PM.

turbo addict

!

But Rob, So and So made 300+hp on the stock airbox!!!

LOL!

- - - Updated - - -

Mind if I ask how big you went on the intercooler pipes?

turbo addict

3" pipes

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast