Thread: Big injectors for E85?

Hybrid booster

Big injectors for E85?

Hey guys,

I've been trying to find a definitive answer on where I can find some injectors that will fit our cars that will also support E85 as well as 40psi of boost. I wont be running 40psi, but I'd like to have some wiggle room before I go lean. I plan on running 30+psi through a holset. Namely, I need to know what will fit without too much hassle. Thanks!

-Q

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

Re: Big injectors for E85?

Quote Originally Posted by BoostedDrummer View Post
    Hey guys,

I've been trying to find a definitive answer on where I can find some injectors that will fit our cars that will also support E85 as well as 40psi of boost. I wont be running 40psi, but I'd like to have some wiggle room before I go lean. I plan on running 30+psi through a holset. Namely, I need to know what will fit without too much hassle. Thanks!

-Q
    You can call us and we can get you what you need.
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by BoostedDrummer View Post
    Hey guys,

-Q
    40psi? don't bother with injectors- just run the fuel line straight into the intake and call it done.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by glhs727 View Post
    You can call us and we can get you what you need.
    Hey thanks Cindy! I'm in Japan right now for the next few months so calling the shop during the appropriate hours will be tricky lol. I'm gonna upgrade the Omni to E85 and am gonna need some help along the way

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by crusty shadow View Post
    40psi? don't bother with injectors- just run the fuel line straight into the intake and call it done.
    With two or three 340lph fuel pumps.

Hybrid booster

I have two Walbro 255's.. its good to see that people here are more opt to shoot someone down rather than have a technical discussion or help someone out.
    Last edited by BoostedDrummer; 11-01-2014 at 09:57 PM.

turbo addict

A buddy of mine was telling me walbro has a new 400 out that is for e85. Might be a better option then dual pumps.

boostaholic

Here is how I determine what size injectors and fuel pump sizing:

First I determine how much horsepower I want to make on E85, this is not determined by boost, this is the required fuel it takes to make a certain amount of horsepower, a rough estimate to get you going. Next use the calculator to determine the required injectors at the fuel pressure you intend to run, most TD's ran 55 psi base fuel pressure.

http://fuelinjectorclinic.com/flow-calculator

As an example ill use my build, I want to make 500 wheel horsepower at 43.5 psi for a base, so using the calulator I determined that 120 lb/hr (1265cc/ min) injectors will make my 500 goal.

Next you need to figure out fuel pump sizing, I use this link to determine that.

http://www.deatschwerks.com/resource...ump-calculator

So in my example. I input the values of 4 injectors, 1265 for injector flow rate and base pressure of 43.5. You can now here put in whatever boost level you plan to run, just know that as the fuel pressure rises, you will have less capactity by the pump. The fuel pump will no output the same flow at 75 psi and 85, it goes down.

So at this point my example shows 303 L/hr at 73.5 psi, which is 30 lbs of boost.
    Most fuel pump manufacturers should have graphs avaialble for their pumps to compare to.

In my application I am looking at either a Walbro 400 e85 or the AEM 320 E85 version.

But to be honest I have read of numerous cars making over 500 whp running on single Walbro 255's (what I currently have) and large injectors on E85, a close friend has been on that set up for years. So in my case with very close watching, I am going to see how far I can push my Relayed 255 on E85 with the 120 lb/hr injectors I already have.

But here is a good starting point for your reasearch.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Interesting, good thread, I'll be running E85 next year.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFromHell View Post
    A buddy of mine was telling me walbro has a new 400 out that is for e85. Might be a better option then dual pumps.
    This would be good, but since I have two working 255's at the house that I'm sure would be up to the task, I figure why spend more money on a third pump lol. Though a single pump would simplify things Thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    Here is how I determine what size injectors and fuel pump sizing:

First I determine how much horsepower I want to make on E85, this is not determined by boost, this is the required fuel it takes to make a certain amount of horsepower, a rough estimate to get you going. Next use the calculator to determine the required injectors at the fuel pressure you intend to run, most TD's ran 55 psi base fuel pressure.

http://fuelinjectorclinic.com/flow-calculator

As an example ill use my build, I want to make 500 wheel horsepower at 43.5 psi for a base, so using the calulator I determined that 120 lb/hr (1265cc/ min) injectors will make my 500 goal.

Next you need to figure out fuel pump sizing, I use this link to determine that.

http://www.deatschwerks.com/resource...ump-calculator

So in my example. I input the values of 4 injectors, 1265 for injector flow rate and base pressure of 43.5. You can now here put in whatever boost level you plan to run, just know that as the fuel pressure rises, you will have less capactity by the pump. The fuel pump will no output the same flow at 75 psi and 85, it goes down.

So at this point my example shows 303 L/hr at 73.5 psi, which is 30 lbs of boost.
    Most fuel pump manufacturers should have graphs avaialble for their pumps to compare to.

In my application I am looking at either a Walbro 400 e85 or the AEM 320 E85 version.

But to be honest I have read of numerous cars making over 500 whp running on single Walbro 255's (what I currently have) and large injectors on E85, a close friend has been on that set up for years. So in my case with very close watching, I am going to see how far I can push my Relayed 255 on E85 with the 120 lb/hr injectors I already have.

But here is a good starting point for your reasearch.
    Thanks! This is exactly the type of answer I've been looking for. I'm considering 530whp for mine, as I've decided to turn my GLH into a straight drag car, the engine hardware should be able to support it. According to the links provided, for 530whp, I would need around 130lb injectors. This would be best in case I stuck around 500hp and I wouldnt be maxing out the injectors. What brand are the 120 pounders?

boostaholic

Precision's, I got them off Ebay for a steal, going to send them to Fuel Injector Clinic for flow testing, cleaning and new seals this winter. The last set I bought were marketed as 1000cc and ended up being 750's. Flow testing is almost a requirement to make sure I dont melt down the motor, cheap peace of mind for me. Mitsubishi Evo/ DSM injectors are a direct fit for your cars. My 75 lb/hr are out of a SAAB in Greece, fit perfect and not one issue all summer on pump, but too small for E85.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    Precision's, I got them off Ebay for a steal, going to send them to Fuel Injector Clinic for flow testing, cleaning and new seals this winter. The last set I bought were marketed as 1000cc and ended up being 750's. Flow testing is almost a requirement to make sure I dont melt down the motor, cheap peace of mind for me. Mitsubishi Evo/ DSM injectors are a direct fit for your cars. My 75 lb/hr are out of a SAAB in Greece, fit perfect and not one issue all summer on pump, but too small for E85.
    Great info! I think I might have to do the same thing in the future if I bought from an unknown source. Though, Cindy has already said she can get me what I need at FWDP, and I trust them with the Omni any day of the week lol. I read that the injector duty cycle shouldnt go past 80%; if the 130lb/hr injectors stay around there, would they technically be maxed out?