Thread: Doing timing belt on 85 8V turbo motor

Doing timing belt on 85 8V turbo motor

Ive asked a bunch of ppl that know how to do these and ive got manuals with procedure but i've yet to attempt this myself. i'm pretty sure ive got the jist of what i need to do, just i'm not sure how to check the timing belt tension. i have a belt gauge that i've used for my 16V, but that uses both cam gears as the base for the gauge. is there an easy way to gauge tension by hand or is there a particular belt gauge out there? this is more or less going to be my 1st attempt to get this all done right and i'm trying to not have to do it multiple times as the whole assembly and dissassembly is what kills this job for me

Hybrid booster

Re: Doing timing belt on 85 8V turbo motor

The timing belt tensioner tool makes the whole process easier, and sets the tension. If you have the factory manuals they show how to use it. I used to do it by feel before I knew any better. Are u planning on installing the timing belt covers?

Hybrid booster

When you have it running, the belt rides near the center of the cam gear. That is the best tension "gauge" out there. A trick is to grab the belt and try to twist between the cam and i-shaft. With some effort, you can almost get a 90 degree twist. The other factory method is to use a ruler and measure deflection. Choice is yours, just watch where the belt rides. Inside is loose, outside is tight.

Ok sounds good. Im hoping it runs at all lol

Well wasnt as terrible as i thought it would be, well the assembly and disassembly. Its together sounds like it wants to start but doesn't. This is why i stick things i know how to do :-(

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Did you get the rotor pointing the right way?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Dont know, when i lined everything and tightened it the rotor was pointing correct. I havent cranked it over by hand now and rechecked it all again. Pretty much discouraged by this 1st attempt and im pretty sure the whole motor is gonna have to come apart again i just have that feeling.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Tom, I've done many many timing belts on the 8v motors and just recently did one on an '85 TI motor just last week. Keep in mind that you need to work out all the slack in the belt to the area between the cam gear and the tensioner. The belt should be relatively slack-free between the cam gear and I-shaft gear before you even tension it, and no slack should exist between the I-shaft gear and the crank gear.

To setup the initial timing, I set the crank to "0" TDC using the flywheel mark. With the spark plugs removed, use a screwdriver to verify piston #1 is actually at TDC (you will feel it). I use a rear-view mirror removed from the car to set the cam at "0". They are usually just the right size to verify the two pointers on the cam gear are pointing directly at cam cap #1 parting line. Set the I-shaft by pointing the 'hash' mark on the outer circumference of the I-shaft sprocket inline with the 'dot' on the crank sprocket and centerline of the crank bolt. Make sure the distributor rotor is pointing at #1.

The timing belt tension tool is very nice to have. It has a 'bob weight' to automatically set the tension for you. I have found that with the belt properly tensioned, you can 'twist' the belt 90' in the area between the cam gear and the tensioner with your fingers without forcing it and also the belt should ride centered in the cam sprocket gear. If it's too tight, the belt will run on the inside of the cam gear....to loose and the belt rides on the outside of the gear. Hope this helps.

All stuff to do again another day after i crank it over by and hand see where it all seems to be lining up. I had the book out, i have the crank and ishaft pullejy and cam gears lined up and i was pretty sure i had it correct because the rotor was pointing to cylinder 1. But it seems i was wrong somewheres. Il know when i crank it over and see whats pointing where

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo
    If it's too tight, the belt will run on the inside of the cam gear....to loose and the belt rides on the outside of the gear. Hope this helps.
    I think you got that flip flopped, bro.

Well its apart again, gonna see whats what whrn i get home. Found my plug wires werent all the way in the cap, confirmed by one plug not being fired like new when i pulled them. Gonna go through the crank timing and cam timing again, least the ishaft is easy to id in the right place

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turismolover22 View Post
    I think you got that flip flopped, bro.
    He's right.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

I had a fellow well seasoned t-m guy check out what i did. Said i did a good job, timing is at most a tooth off on the ishaft. He says it should run. Dont know whats holding it back this moment. least i managed to do the job correctly. Gotta be bs now. And i gotta retorque the head bolts. Whats the final ft lbs torque on an 85 with 10mm bolts.? I find a few diff values

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrempickup View Post
    I had a fellow well seasoned t-m guy check out what i did. Said i did a good job, timing is at most a tooth off on the ishaft. He says it should run. Dont know whats holding it back this moment. least i managed to do the job correctly. Gotta be bs now. And i gotta retorque the head bolts. Whats the final ft lbs torque on an 85 with 10mm bolts.? I find a few diff values
    10mm headbolts are:

1. 30 ft/lbs
    2. 45 ft/lbs
    3. +90 degree turn

following the standard tightening sequence of course.

45 seemed low to him, but thats what i did them to per the box.

Yeah you definitely don't want to torque the 10mm headbolts to the 11mm headbolt spec!

Looks like everything leads me to swapping the later style distributor and hep in tomorrow. 86/87 glhs t2 cal needs the later and thats what my 85 was wired last for and my custom cal for it is. Hope it solves my no start tomorrow. Ive had a 85 one in it and its not starting

Got it running. Ended up needing the newer 86+ distributor and hep. Put it in and it fired right up