Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Srt build for 600 horse.

turbo addict

Srt build for 600 horse.

Not sure if anyone on these forums have any high horse srt4 motors. I know this probably isn't the best site but alot of people on here I trust there opinions more than not. I would like to make 600 horse. Starting with a stock 2.4 top to bottom. I'm assuming I'd need new pistons rods and crank straps. Unsure on brands. And unsure of head work. As far as engine management i plan on going full stand alone. Anyone wanna chime in?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

Re: Srt build for 600 horse.

We have built some 600+ srt-4 in our shop. The last one was 636whp at 30 psi of boost. You need a well built bottom end. That means heavy duty rods, forged pistons, crank strap kit, better oil pump, windage tray, Then a good ported head with bigger valves, decent cams like the crane 16's or equivalent. Custom intake manifold and big turbo. The last car had a 6265 triple ball bearing comp turbo, and tuned on e85 with 1600cc injectors, aeromotive 1000 pump. We also beefed up the trans as well. First time out the car ran 10.50's. It has the potential for low 10's high nines with some additional tuning and cam work.

Having said that, an srt motor can easily make 400 whp and that on the street is more than enough. My srt-4 has 390 whp and ran 12.20's. It's a daily driver, and has been for the last 5 years with zero issues....
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by glhs727 View Post
    We have built some 600+ srt-4 in our shop. The last one was 636whp at 30 psi of boost. You need a well built bottom end. That means heavy duty rods, forged pistons, crank strap kit, better oil pump, windage tray, Then a good ported head with bigger valves, decent cams like the crane 16's or equivalent. Custom intake manifold and big turbo. The last car had a 6265 triple ball bearing comp turbo, and tuned on e85 with 1600cc injectors, aeromotive 1000 pump. We also beefed up the trans as well. First time out the car ran 10.50's. It has the potential for low 10's high nines with some additional tuning and cam work.

Having said that, an srt motor can easily make 400 whp and that on the street is more than enough. My srt-4 has 390 whp and ran 12.20's. It's a daily driver, and has been for the last 5 years with zero issues....

Better oil pump? What issues are there with this.

also this hopefully will be an srt used in a rwd application.

Quote Originally Posted by bgbmxer View Post
    Better oil pump? What issues are there with this.

also this hopefully will be an srt used in a rwd application.
    yes, there are known oil pump failures on the srt. I have a DCR pump (stocker with some mods and coating) in my car, and we used and FWD-P oil pump on the last 600+ build. We take it apart, basically blueprint, polish the gears, port the inlet and outlet and a couple other tricks....
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

turbo addict

yes, there are known oil pump failures on the srt. I have a DCR pump (stocker with some mods and coating) in my car, and we used and FWD-P oil pump on the last 600+ build. We take it apart, basically blueprint, polish the gears, port the inlet and outlet and a couple other tricks....

Can I buy this from you when the time comes?

Garrett booster

my recipe
    e85, 80# injectors, 3bar map/tip and a rescale
    eagle rods, w/arp 2000 bolts
    weisco pistons
    strap kit (must over 400hp)
    arp head bolts.. and arp bolts for strap kit
    big turbo -- i have a s3 manifold with evo9 turbo -- suggest getting the new arp split plane exhaust manifold instead
    at 600hp expect trans issues..

link to my old build http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f451...w-123k-612933/

turbo addict

Don't want e85. And my trans issues will be different going into a rwd setup.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

The strap kit.... has anybody ever really had a bedplate failure at less than 600hp?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

I am unsure if I will be able to use any aftermarket intake and exhaust since it will be in an lbody engine bay sideways

yes, we sell the oil pump, price is $129 exchange or $179 outright

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    The strap kit.... has anybody ever really had a bedplate failure at less than 600hp?
    Interested to hear some info on this. Wasn't long ago that a non common block was complete voodoo

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

^^^ +1 to this

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Or even 1000hp... the firey Crawford explosion was like ~1400?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by bgbmxer View Post
    I am unsure if I will be able to use any aftermarket intake and exhaust since it will be in an lbody engine bay sideways
    I have a 2.4 head with lonewolf intake manifold on the driver side. I don't think there are any good exhaust manifold options.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    I have a 2.4 head with lonewolf intake manifold on the driver side. I don't think there are any good exhaust manifold options.
    My goal is to make my own header and set the turbo up front somewheres. Going rear wheel drive will need a lot of fab work.

Garrett booster

there have been quite a few sidewinders, most never make big power..

i've never had a problem, here are a few pictures of bed plate failure -- i built my own for ~$100, simple and cheap insurance

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    ..-- i built my own for ~$100, simple and cheap insurance
    pics?
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    there have been quite a few sidewinders, most never make big power..

i've never had a problem, here are a few pictures of bed plate failure -- i built my own for ~$100, simple and cheap insurance

sidewinders?

sidewinder header like this???

turbo addict

I like ^

turbo addict

sidewinder header like this???
    nice looking header

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast