Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Srt build for 600 horse.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

Re: Srt build for 600 horse.

Quote Originally Posted by bgbmxer View Post
    nice looking header
    yea, we build a pretty awesome srt-4 sidewinder kit. Have that header on a 2.4 in a charger as well....

FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

turbo addict

Will have to see how stuff fits when the engine is turned and mated to a rwd trans. But a tubular header is most likely the way I'll be going

turbo addict

Just one of many things I gotta figure out. Like mating the solstice trans to the 2.4 and the clutch setup and the rear setup also.....

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    I have a 2.4 head with lonewolf intake manifold on the driver side. I don't think there are any good exhaust manifold options.
    WHAT?!?!?! http://www.agpturbo.com/srt-4-agp-ca...roll-manifold/

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    I would not build a car that used the above manifold, especially for an oddball specialized RWD car. I would use something like FWD posted.

Wrong direction for RWD and the hood clearance could be a problem in a small car though it appears to fit on the FWD transverse setup. Bet its spendy.
    I don't consider nice one off manifolds widely available products. Anyone can ask a good company to make them a nice manifold like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by glhs727 View Post
    sidewinder header like this???
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Garrett booster

seems all the tubing would need to be pressurized and cause turbo lag..

AGP's split plane seems nice .. http://www.agpturbo.com/srt-4-agp-ca...roll-manifold/

turbo addict

Considering a lot of turbo v8 and even some of the super fast fwd turbo cars mount the turbos up front I don't think it's a huge issue.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Considering a lot of turbo v8 and even some of the super fast fwd turbo cars mount the turbos up front I don't think it's a huge issue.
    Lag isn't an issue when your powerband is 5500-up.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Lag isn't an issue when your powerband is 5500-up.
    I honestly don't think at that power level will have lag that high in the powerband. But I cannot honestly say. I plan on putting a lot of money in a head.

Im not super concerned with spool time. However i don't want to wait all day.

Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    seems all the tubing would need to be pressurized and cause turbo lag..

AGP's split plane seems nice .. http://www.agpturbo.com/srt-4-agp-ca...roll-manifold/
    Seems and IS are not the same with this issue. Years ago I read a very interesting comparison of small displacement VW engines. A log manifold vs tubular. The log manifold spooled up more violently but not much faster while the tubular had a hefty advantage up top.

I really think that manifold looks terrible compared to most log manifolds I see people run here. Pointless hard 90 degree bends in an attempt to FAKE twin scroll so you can spool up what is often a smallish turbo.

I honestly don't think at that power level will have lag that high in the powerband. But I cannot honestly say. I plan on putting a lot of money in a head.

Im not super concerned with spool time. However i don't want to wait all day.
    Manifold design will not create the level of lag that you might complain about based on your statement here. If you don't like the lag, you simply bought the wrong turbo or you need to rev 100 to 1000 rpms higher.
    Last edited by Ondonti; 10-31-2014 at 01:48 PM.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Seems and IS are not the same with this issue. Years ago I read a very interesting comparison of small displacement VW engines. A log manifold vs tubular. The log manifold spooled up more violently but not much faster while the tubular had a hefty advantage up top.

I really think that manifold looks terrible compared to most log manifolds I see people run here. Pointless hard 90 degree bends in an attempt to FAKE twin scroll so you can spool up what is often a smallish turbo.
    So you're bringing up a comparison article about something that wasn't even in that comparison article?

How are two cylinders (1 & 4) feeding one side of a twin scroll turbine housing and two other cylinders (2 & 3) feeding the other side of a twin scroll turbine housing a fake twin scroll manifold? As far as the "pointless 90* bend," I'm guessing you're referring to the turbo sitting on top? In order for each half of the manifold to exit out the external wastegate, it needs to be designed like that. Soooo for the amount of room that's available for that manifold to fit in, I think it was designed pretty well.

I can tell you that twin scroll manifold spools a larger twin scroll turbo (.75 turbine housing) faster than a log manifold did a smaller turbo (.63 turbine housing). A twin scroll 1.0 turbine housing on that twin scroll manifold has about has much lag as the .63 on a log manifold did.

turbo addict

Manifold design will not create the level of lag that you might complain about based on your statement here. If you don't like the lag, you simply bought the wrong turbo or you need to rev 100 to 1000 rpms higher.
    With the power I want to make and it being a 4 cyl it's gonna have lag. I plan to build a stout head and same goes with the header and intake. Then a nice ball bearing turbo also. Some lag isn't horrible to deal with

turbo addict

One of my next issues will be figuring out what for clutch setup I can use. It's an srt engine and ill be using a jeep bellhousing with a ar5 solstice trans. No idea what I need to make that work.

Garrett booster

in for your build. i haven't totally decided on the s10 clutch myself. drilling and tapping the flywheel for the solstice turbo clutch seems more like the the answer for a stouter clutch solution.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
    in for your build. i haven't totally decided on the s10 clutch myself. drilling and tapping the flywheel for the solstice turbo clutch seems more like the the answer for a stouter clutch solution.
    I did a quick search this mornin and spec has up to a stage 5 clutch for the 2.2 s10 I'm not sure exactly of which year of s10 clutch would fit. I think the solstice clutch is a bigger than the s10 tho.

turbo addict

It is possible to get a custom flywheel made which seems to be from 800 to 1000 dollars. If I sent them a dual mass flywheel and the clutch I would like to use im sure they could make a flywheel that's balanced and drill the proper holes and dowl pins for the clutch I'd like to use. I have not looked into custom clutches yet.

turbo addict

Just a quick search on spec clutches website for a Pontiac solstice offers a stage 5 and is rated for 820 foot lbs of torq. That would hold it but I'm sure drivability would be fun. If I have to go s10 clutch I'd like to see if someone could build me a twin disc setup. It would hold all the power and would have way better drivability. This would be super expensive tho. This build is gonna be a slow one but I plan on taking the time to do it right.

Garrett booster

Just a quick search on spec clutches website for a Pontiac solstice offers a stage 5 and is rated for 820 foot lbs of torq. That would hold it but I'm sure drivability would be fun. If I have to go s10 clutch I'd like to see if someone could build me a twin disc setup. It would hold all the power and would have way better drivability. This would be super expensive tho. This build is gonna be a slow one but I plan on taking the time to do it right.
    that is the fun of pioneering a build like this. the mass sit around and wait for people like us to figure it out,with what parts can be used and when all the hard stuff is done. they jump in. remember "build it and they will come".

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
    that is the fun of pioneering a build like this. the mass sit around and wait for people like us to figure it out,with what parts can be used and when all the hard stuff is done. they jump in. remember "build it and they will come".

I still ill don't see it being a popular swap due to needing fab skills to make the car rwd. I also plan on doing independent rear suspension which a lot of people would just throw a 9" under the rear and call it a day. I'm still in the gathering parts stage and am currently off work while I do chemo. Once I get back to work I will slowly start saving for engine trans and then figure out the clutch and stuff. As far as putting the engine and trans in the car I could either pay for the chassis work or I can buy the stuff to do it myself and quit being a ----- and learn how to do it. I need to buy a welder a tubing bender and a noctcher at a minimum to undertake this. That alone is a lot of money. And I gotta dig a trench and get a new service from my house to have enough power to run all that stuff. This is going to be a project over many years but I don't half --- stuff and if I'm gonna do it im gonna do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    So you're bringing up a comparison article about something that wasn't even in that comparison article?

How are two cylinders (1 & 4) feeding one side of a twin scroll turbine housing and two other cylinders (2 & 3) feeding the other side of a twin scroll turbine housing a fake twin scroll manifold? As far as the "pointless 90* bend," I'm guessing you're referring to the turbo sitting on top? In order for each half of the manifold to exit out the external wastegate, it needs to be designed like that. Soooo for the amount of room that's available for that manifold to fit in, I think it was designed pretty well.

I can tell you that twin scroll manifold spools a larger twin scroll turbo (.75 turbine housing) faster than a log manifold did a smaller turbo (.63 turbine housing). A twin scroll 1.0 turbine housing on that twin scroll manifold has about has much lag as the .63 on a log manifold did.
    Twin scroll intends to seperate exhaust pulses that have been "treated nicely" and the pointless hard 90's with odd intersections make things less than optimal in regard to pulse conservation. Probably better than a pure log but thats about it. I would never credit a manifold like that of being true twin scroll simply because it divides the exhaust into two parts. I would give credit to a near equal length tubular header twin scroll, not this.

Twin scroll housing A/R's are not comparable to single scroll A/R's so you also can't compare #'s
    Divided housings are much smaller flowpath wise so people who run them have to use a/r's ~30% bigger in competitive racing. Usually people find that the largest twin housing for a turbo is not large enough to compete with mid sized singles in pure HP production. They then have to port them or go back to a single.

I think we have all learned that you can make great power on basic exhaust manifolds. That still doesn't mean there are huge improvements to be made. I am not one who would try to get an exhaust manifold perfect.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast