Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: SDAC and Carlisle 2015

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Re: SDAC and Carlisle 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Car show at 9 too early?

Get out of bed sooner!
    Heh, at Carlisle every year, I'm up at 5:30am Friday and Saturday! I like to eat breakfast, get there early, grab a primo parking spot, hit the swap meet, quick detail the car (not like it matters on mine), and enjoy some time out there before the summer heat gets cranked up. The funniest thing about those Neon kids is that I'm getting up about an hour after some of them went to bed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Craig View Post
    I did find a awesome hotel that myself anf jon trotter stayed at for carlisle.It was a haul 18 miles but $70 a night really nice rooms and the 2nd gen neon guys where staying next door.I vote for that hotel to be the host hotel.
    We always stayed at another hotel just across the highway off the same exit, but it closed. That Motel 6 is probably our new permanent spot since the rooms are $49 a night with the group rate. Any time you and Trotter want to stop by and hang out and teach some of these kids lessons on Neons, you go right ahead! I laughed like hell when when they all stood in amazement when a brown van came by chuckin blow-off valve hits! Absolutely priceless.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by jonnymopar View Post
    Heh, at Carlisle every year, I'm up at 5:30am Friday and Saturday! I like to eat breakfast, get there early, grab a primo parking spot, hit the swap meet, quick detail the car (not like it matters on mine), and enjoy some time out there before the summer heat gets cranked up. The funniest thing about those Neon kids is that I'm getting up about an hour after some of them went to bed!

We always stayed at another hotel just across the highway off the same exit, but it closed. That Motel 6 is probably our new permanent spot since the rooms are $49 a night with the group rate. Any time you and Trotter want to stop by and hang out and teach some of these kids lessons on Neons, you go right ahead! I laughed like hell when when they all stood in amazement when a brown van came by chuckin blow-off valve hits! Absolutely priceless.

Didnt know the motel 6 was only $49 a night.Your Daytona is a really nice car,very well done.Ill stay up there again.I didnt mind the drive and myself and Jon liked the burger we had at the hotel down the road.

turbo addict

I agree with doing the SDAC track events after Carlisle. It really makes sense.

I have already told the wife that if the Carlisle/SDAC super show happens that I WILL be there, car or not, wife or not! Plus I could visit family.

turbo addict

You want to go....want to travel together ...caravan there ?
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

First a comment to all. Since Dave and I have lead the club, in planning conventions, we have been consistent with several things including requiring the event proposal to be led by an SDAC Chapter. We sincerely value the opinion of all of our SDAC members and everyone else in the community as well, but for a convention to actually get organized, it goes beyond an opinion pole, and instead we need an SDAC Chapter to step up and give us a proposal. Luckily this year we have several Chapters interested in hosting and hope to know more soon.

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    I know in the new issue of Up Front, they are discussing making SDAC-25 close to Carlisle, and close in time. I don't think anything has been set in stone yet though...
    To this day nothing is set in stone. We are discussing the location with several SDAC Chapters. Stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by 168glhs1986 View Post
    With all the awesome activities sdac puts on i just dont see how its possible do do both at the same time.
    Great point Mike. Our SDAC annual convention is a unique event with as many auxiliary motorsports events and activities as we can include in the schedule. Due to this, having SDAC at the same time and location as another event is difficult. Having SDAC directly before or after a major event may be more of a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 PSI SHADOW View Post
    Does SDAC always have to follow at the end of June? Is that written in stone? Having that date fluctuate could open up new windows possibly... what the hell do I know
    Not written in stone, but it does help those that need to plan work vacation the end of the previous year.

Quote Originally Posted by sdac guy View Post
    Blame me. I originally chose the date as at the time it didn't conflict with other Mopar events. And I kept to that date so folks could plan their next year vacations late in the current year or early the following year, even if the site for the next year's event had not been decided.

But if it is time to change it, I'm cetrainly not against it (and I no longer have any voice in the matter either). But changing it means that the site selection would have to be done much earlier (and THAT is difficult to do). Many folks need to get their vacation schedules submitted very early in the year (including me when I was still working).

Barry
    I don't think there is any blame here, you picked a date and held it consistent and that strategy has worked very well including after you handed Dave and I the reins.

Moving the date is a possibility and so is the format, for example, this year we almost changed from Thurs-Sun instead of Sat-Tues, but it didn't work out for the motorsports events dates needed.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post
    I have never made it to Chrysler's at Carlisle, but would love to get there some day. Having an SDAC in conjunction with that event might just be the thing that finally gets me there.

If changing the date of SDAC is being looked at, instead of the week before, I would vote for trying to use Sunday's Carlisle show as the SDAC car show and then try to do the track days and other SDAC events that Mon/Tues. That way SDAC folks can get away with taking off the same amount of time they normally do for SDAC. Also, after the Carlisle event ended, wouldn't things calm down in the area and options would hopefully open up for us?

It sounds like this is an option that is being looked at, and if it is, I'm in!
    Having finally been to my first Carlisle show this year I was impressed and will recommend all Mopar enthusiasts to get to it eventually. In attending I learned a lot about the show and one thing was that it is really a Friday-Saturday show and Sunday is really sparse. So yes, the area does calm down as of Sunday, however, other than the show grounds, the area really doesn't help us without having a 1/4 mile drag strip, etc. So possibly sequential, but possibly not in the same area, or possibly separate... too early to tell.

I hope you can make it to both Jonny no matter where they are!

Quote Originally Posted by 168glhs1986 View Post
    I know this...the changes to the SDAC schedule this year were welcomed!

My ony comment would be to host the car show from 1-4 pm.

Leave for show and have brunch somewhere, car show then have dinner somewhere on the drive home.

Having a car show from 9-2 pm for me means........Not being able to eat breakfast because car show too early and have to prep car then having to eat hotdogs at car show

Then combining awards and dinner was yet another great decision this year.
    Interesting idea to have an afternoon show. Most summertime shows are the opposite and held in the morning to try to be more enjoyable early before the heat sets in. Anything could happen. Always appreciate your input Mike.

Glad you liked the awards dinner, and you're not the only one we heard this from so this may happen again

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I really hope to find out the location soon. I'm in Wyoming so I will have to travel for sure. Like others, I am going to need as much time as possible to get a car ready. Hopefully something a lot more unique than my CSRT like last year.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    You want to go....want to travel together ...caravan there ?
    Absolutely! I was going to maybe see if a few of the other PNW people would come, too.

turbo addict

That would be great.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Craig View Post
    Didnt know the motel 6 was only $49 a night.Your Daytona is a really nice car,very well done.Ill stay up there again.I didnt mind the drive and myself and Jon liked the burger we had at the hotel down the road.
    Thanks for the compliment. You and Jon had the privilege of seeing it in its best light: a dimly-lit parking lot at night.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Having finally been to my first Carlisle show this year I was impressed and will recommend all Mopar enthusiasts to get to it eventually. In attending I learned a lot about the show and one thing was that it is really a Friday-Saturday show and Sunday is really sparse. So yes, the area does calm down as of Sunday, however, other than the show grounds, the area really doesn't help us without having a 1/4 mile drag strip, etc. So possibly sequential, but possibly not in the same area, or possibly separate... too early to tell.
    I didn't realize that was your first time going! For sure, Carlisle is the biggest, most well-organized, most awesome car show I've ever been to. Next July will make 10 years in a row for me. It's already on the calendar.

I looked around to see about drag strips because I thought for sure there was one close to it. There is, but it's only an 1/8th mile strip. There are 3 quarter-mile strips within 1.5 hours of the showfield, but for people that drove crazy distances to be there, an additional 3 hour round trip probably wouldn't be a welcome thing.

Good luck with the planning. I've never been to SDAC, so if it's close, time-wise and distance-wise, maybe that will change this year.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I'm rooting for Las Vegas. East coast would be very difficult for me.

I would certainly be happy going back to Wisconsin like last year though. East coast would be very difficult for me....unless it were near DC.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs0075's Avatar

I would do Vegas for sure!!!

Stephen: 1987 GLHS #0075, 1965 Polara 880 convertible
    SDAC National- proud member
    Western Canada SDAC- proud member
    www.wc-tm.com
    "I am not a number. I am a free man!" Number 6

Hybrid booster

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever done a map of the geographic concentration of members?
    '88 Lebaron convertible. RWD 408/A500/8.75" 466hp/511tq. First pass coming soon.... '05 Magnum R/T. 13.79@102 Member SWPA-SDAC. The Steel city chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    I'm rooting for Las Vegas. East coast would be very difficult for me.

I would certainly be happy going back to Wisconsin like last year though. East coast would be very difficult for me....unless it were near DC.
    Quote Originally Posted by glhs0075 View Post
    I would do Vegas for sure!!!
    Vegas would be fun but difficult at the same time. We do not have a local Chapter or many members near there and June is pretty warm there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead24-7 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever done a map of the geographic concentration of members?
    Dave and I talked about doing this and plan to, however, I'm sure it matches somewhat closely to any population plot with x% of it being an SDAC member. With this logic then the median population (point that divides total population in half by direction E-W and N-S) interestingly may explain why we have decent turnouts in the area triangular area between OVC, Chicagoland and Great Lakes. Interesting to look at it this way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1920px-USCenterPop_Geographic2010.png 
Views:	167 
Size:	607.7 KB 
ID:	52264

The mean, described as the balancing point of the total population, is a bit further west and our closest conventions to that point were Memphis (most attended) and Topeka (our 2 smallest in participation). So the mean is not as useful knowing that the majority of the weight is on each coast. Topeka always looked good on paper but the fact is that it is far for everyone except those in surrounding states. Looking at the trend, it might take some time before the mean center gets to Vegas, but it is moving in that direction

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	US_Mean_Center_of_Population_1790-2010.PNG 
Views:	151 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	52258
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1280px-USCenterPop_Median2010.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	658.4 KB 
ID:	52259  

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Just throwing it out there, Vegas during the usual weekend would be best for me, as I'll be there on our honeymoon.

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead24-7 View Post
    When I had the club, this question came up frequently. Sorting by ZIP code (low numbers in the east, high in the west) showed that 90% of our members lived east of the rocky mountains. If you go to the SDAC website and look at the page devoted to SDAC Chapters, it shows a good representation where our members live. Note that Pennsylvania has 3 chapters and Ohio 2 chapters. Now it is true that PA is a large state, but at that time it also had the most SDAC members.

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

Thanks Barry. I would guess this is still true today

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Resident Nuke Turbo Mopar Contributor denviola's Avatar

Quite a few of us including Barry know that Carlisle management has not always been receptive to our requests for a SDAC show group, more classes, etc. as we are a small group, not always well represented at Carlisle and quite frankly are a tiny fraction of the overall event. I personally missed the 2014 event and was unable to host our annual SV-SDAC Saturday Night Club picnic as my wife and I made a promise to a friend with leukemia to attend Gettysburg Bike Week events and it was on the same weekend.

There are some posts above that have interesting ideas:

Car Show Sunday afternoon - Carlisle events have notoriously poor attendance on Sundays. Vendor sales are weak to non-existent (I know from personal experience with vendor spaces as do others), and many vendors go home Saturday night or early Sunday morning. The infrastructure such as food, drink etc. is usually gone by noon. Many of our local members participate in the Carlisle show, and awards are handed out Sunday morning, so a Sunday morning SDAC car show would be in direct competition. A SDAC car show on Sunday afternoon may be the right thing to do. SDAC car shows are typically self-sufficient and do not need food and drink vendors, and only require some bio-facilities and maybe some electric. I'm sure some participants would be motivated to go for the "Carlisle Double", which would be the Carlisle Saturday car show and the SDAC Sunday Show. Another option is to hold the Sunday afternoon car show off the grounds, so members can still do both - although that is a lot to ask for one day.

Sunday only ticket? - Most will come to Carlisle for the whole experience, but Carlisle does offer a single day pass. I'm thinking that if the management is serious about upping their attendance on Sundays, they should reduce the Sunday rate. Maybe they would for our Sunday afternoon show through some negotiation. Maybe some of the other, larger clubs would hold their own show if available. Maybe this could not happen at all due to internal costs of staff, etc. They have already expanded the show starting with early-bird Thursday.

Autocross: - Carlisle now has a small track on the property and some of the members here could speak to it since they participated there in 2014. Not sure how busy it was, costs etc. but it is available.

Drag racing: - The only track within reasonable driving distance is a 1/8 mile track. It was sold, changed name (South Mountain Raceway) and has a 2015 schedule posted including Friday July 10 - same weekend as Chryslers Carlisle but has a different event name so it may not be part of the Carlisle event. I'm seeing SDAC drag racing usually has a lot of fun events such as turtle races, pit bike races, etc. These can be done on a 1/8 mile track too. I understand racing is hard on cars and parts, and it is hard to correlate 1/8 mile data to 1/4 mile data. Might not be popular.

Lodging: - Tough to get during Carlisle events, maybe a Sunday night start at a host hotel would be attractive to a hotel.

Attractions for Family:- Gettysburg and Hershey are 30-45 minutes away. Harrisburg has AA baseball, river cruises, etc. Would need some exploration. River cruise SDAC dinner? We probably have too many attendees for the boat, but just one of a number of possibilities.

Let's discuss possibilities. Thinking too much to overcome for the 2015 event but the ground work could be started for a 2016 event at Carlisle. On behalf of the SV crew, I'll be in touch with JT and Dave to discuss. Looking forward to hosting the annual SV-TD Saturday night picnic at Carlisle 2015. see you there!
    Last edited by denviola; 12-13-2014 at 10:03 AM.
    SDAC Member, Steel City Chapter SDAC Member, SV-SDAC member, SV-TD Member
    www.sv-td.com
    85 600 ES Turbo Conv., 91 Spirit R/T
    2014 RAM Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab Dually. 6.7 CTD, AISIN, 4.10 gear
    68 GS400 (owned since 1973, someday 455)
    2012 Can-AM RT Limited

No blame Barry ! Those were the old days, Remember, when we had to beg for time off from work.And schedule around "family time".Ain't retirement grand!
    Quote Originally Posted by sdac guy View Post
    Blame me. I originally chose the date as at the time it didn't conflict with other Mopar events. And I kept to that date so folks could plan their next year vacations late in the current year or early the following year, even if the site for the next year's event had not been decided.

But if it is time to change it, I'm cetrainly not against it (and I no longer have any voice in the matter either). But changing it means that the site selection would have to be done much earlier (and THAT is difficult to do). Many folks need to get their vacation schedules submitted very early in the year (including me when I was still working).

Barry

Garrett booster

Re: Sdac-25

From Carlisle yesterday. Shelby invitational applications are now open.

boostaholic

Re: Sdac-25

I hope they dont ask me to be a guest speaker at the neon invitational.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast