Thread: GLHS Handling Setup/Guide/Tips Needed

turbo addict

GLHS Handling Setup/Guide/Tips Needed

Hey guys,

Been out of the TD/TM scene for a couple of years and decided to get back into it by building/restoring my 87 Shelby GLHS. I finally have the money to build the car so I am looking into doing it right.

As far as suspension goes, what is recommended for a great handling street car that will most likely see some time at the drag strip and the track.

Is there a guide out there that details what it takes to make these cars handle ?

What are the options for coilovers these days ? I know Cindy had the Konis. Has there been any adapted from other vehicles to fit the L-body ? I'd really rather not drop $1500+ on coilovers if there are other options out there. I do have the stock Konis that could be rebuilt as well.

What about sway bars, strut bars, etc ?

Any my suggestions or tips would be really appreciated.

Re: GLHS Handling Setup/Guide/Tips Needed

Depends on your budget, how you want it to look and what your time frame is. There are a good number of bolt on items (relative to how old our cars are compared to newer cars) that you can get that will be good additions. If you want to save money and use or do something that is a compilation of items that will work, that is another option. An example would be adapting a end link style sway bar or using Neon hubs/spindles with coil-overs. Planning on doing work yourself or will you need to rely on someone else, i.e., welding, mechanical work, etc.?

I personally could have spent the time and saved some money doing the work myself that was done, but two things factored in. 1) I am nit picky and would have been more than frustrated with my own efforts since I have never welded (in relation to the roll cage) and 2) while I can build an engine, I have virtually zero experience building one from scratch and what is required to put together a reliable well built motor.

Many on the board do this regularly because they have the time, patience and resources. I have a little of some of these things, but ultimately, I don't want to worry about the car breaking down at a race because I didn't build the motor as effectively as I could have. And I care about the neatness and order of how my car looks with regards to suspension, bracing, etc. While I have MANY things to take care of with my car, the work Brian Slowe did was worth the cost. When I have the time to buy a welder and start practicing, I will try my hand at work myself.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Depends on your budget, how you want it to look and what your time frame is. There are a good number of bolt on items (relative to how old our cars are compared to newer cars) that you can get that will be good additions. If you want to save money and use or do something that is a compilation of items that will work, that is another option. An example would be adapting a end link style sway bar or using Neon hubs/spindles with coil-overs. Planning on doing work yourself or will you need to rely on someone else, i.e., welding, mechanical work, etc.?

I personally could have spent the time and saved some money doing the work myself that was done, but two things factored in. 1) I am nit picky and would have been more than frustrated with my own efforts since I have never welded (in relation to the roll cage) and 2) while I can build an engine, I have virtually zero experience building one from scratch and what is required to put together a reliable well built motor.

Many on the board do this regularly because they have the time, patience and resources. I have a little of some of these things, but ultimately, I don't want to worry about the car breaking down at a race because I didn't build the motor as effectively as I could have. And I care about the neatness and order of how my car looks with regards to suspension, bracing, etc. While I have MANY things to take care of with my car, the work Brian Slowe did was worth the cost. When I have the time to buy a welder and start practicing, I will try my hand at work myself.
    Thanks for the reply.

I have the tools and resources available to do the work myself for the most part, unless it involved extensive fabrication. My father and brother are/were both mechanics so I have an extensive selection of tools that should cover pretty much any situation.

Budget ultimately depends on a multitude of factors, but I am willing to spend the money on quality parts. Bolt on options vs a compilation of items would be based on cost saved vs time vs performance. If the bolt-on options available perform better and are much easier to install then they would be worth the extra money if not outrageously priced. (Hope that makes sense lol)

turbo addict

Bump! No one has a great handling L-Body ?

Ive searched for write-ups regarding various coilover conversions or compatibility from other vehicles and the information is scattered at best.

turbo addict

turbo addict

I have a GLHS that handles very well. Or, it used to. Stopped driving it 8 years ago and it has
    sat in the corner of the shop every since. Won a lot of autocrosses and had a great time at
    track days beating up other cars.

Koni coilovers front.
    autocross springs
    1" rear swaybar
    1-1/8" front swaybar
    4 point roll bar for protection and to stiffen the chassis
    front k-frame brace.
    strut tower brace
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

turbo addict

For the road course or autocross, there is really no secret to a great handling L Body. Stiff springs, good shocks, bigger sway bars, roll cage would be nice. Basically Johnny is right on the money.

Just spend the money now on the konis before they become $2000 a set.

I'll make you a deal on the set on my GLHS. I'm going to upgrade to the BCs.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]