Thread: TII injectors in a log TI

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

TII injectors in a log TI

Is it possible to run TII injectors in an '85 log TI engine?

Reason I ask is because I need a set of stock injectors for the '85 TI engine I have built for my Omni GLH Turbo. I was running a set of aftermarket replacement injectors from Rock Auto, but one of the pintle caps melted due to an overheating episode that also resulted in an exhaust valve being stuck open. Not only that, the set of injectors I bought from RA had different pintle caps (3 conical, 1 'button' style). I just don't trust them at this point.

I have sourced a set of original TI injectors ('024's), but all came back as having case leaks and were determined to be non-rebuildable by Mr Injector. As far as I know, the MP '803' injectors are no longer available, otherwise I would buy a set and send them to Mr Injector to be sure.

I wish I could just throw a set of stock TII injectors in there that I have already have had rebuilt/flow tested by Mr Injector. But they flow more. Probably too much.

Re: TII injectors in a log TI

The one TI injector (part number ending in 024) that I sent to Mr Injector flowed '78' before and '80' after. I sent them five, one was good, the other four had case leaks.

The TII injectors (x213) flow more like '90-96' after servicing. I am not clear on what unit of measure that is, but by the numbers it looks like that is 10-15% more.

turbo addict

Do you have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator or can you calibration the ECU?

Hybrid booster

Do the T1 cars have open/closed loop operation? If so you will only run rich during open loop WOT operation.

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Do you have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator or can you calibration the ECU?
    Nope, no AFPR and no way for me to do my own cals. The car runs an '85 LM and I don't believe there is much if any support for it. The cylinder head is a new warmed over G-head (slight porting) and the car does have very free flowing 3" exhaust so I was hoping I could get away with it and drive it again soon.

turbo addict

Get the injectors that the calibration is called for.

You really don't want your engine to be running 20% richer (27lbs vs 33lbs) at startup and WOT.

Sounds good. Thanks Harry.

Hybrid booster

You might be able to get 803's from cindy still. I probably have a few sets of log injectors. You are welcome to have them all if I can find them.

turbo addict

Jeremy,
    That cylinder head probably flows more than you think. Very good valve job done on it, short turn radius was completely done, throat area cleaned up and ports while not widened much, where straightened out. There is not much to gain widening ports with a stock size valve. If I were to guess (based on flowing many ported heads) I would say it probably flows very close to 175/140 @.500. Give or take a couple/few CFM. Probably flowing about 20/15 more CFM on intake and exhaust than stock. If you have ported exhaust manifold, removed cat, or larger exhaust, you could easily find the stock 27lbs injectors could be a bit small for your application.

To answer your question one of the problems with running TII injectors on a log manifold fuel rail is the clips don't fit on the vast majority of the TII injectors. Many people run without the clips (all aftermarket fuel rails don't use them), but some insist on running them for peace of mind. Many people think Chrysler put them on for a reason...

Apples and oranges but my Spearco intercooled GLHT ran TII injectors in it for close to 20 years. In fact I had a 5th injector as well. This was with a stage II LM and very close to stock fuel pressure. Car now runs same LM and is running FFV injectors (serviced by Mr. Injector) with base fuel around 46 PSI. Vehicle runs perfect and wideband is not running fat even on dead cold startup.

If you have a known good set of 32-34lbs injectors, I would try those first. Worst case you could put on a AFPR and bump fuel pressure down a few lbs if needed.

Todd
    Last edited by 4 l-bodies; 10-21-2014 at 07:59 PM.

Hybrid booster

I tried it and it ran horrible. I had an MP LM which probably made it a bit richer at idle to begin with, but it was running so awful I didn't even attempt to drive it just threw the stock injectors back in.
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron GTC convertible - a568 - 15psi FWD Stage 3, FMIC, TII Garrett turbo, two of the big ones

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Jeremy,
    That cylinder head probably flows more than you think. Very good valve job done on it, short turn radius was completely done, throat area cleaned up and ports while not widened much, where straightened out. There is not much to gain widening ports with a stock size valve. If I were to guess (based on flowing many ported heads) I would say it is probably flows very close to 175/140 @.500. Give or take a couple/few CFM. Probably flowing about 20/15 more CFM on intake and exhaust than stock. If you have ported exhaust manifold, removed cat, or larger exhaust, you could easily find the stock 27lbs injectors could be a bit small for your application.

To answer your question one of the problems with running TII injectors on a log manifold fuel rail is the clips don't fit on the vast majority of the TII injectors. Many people run without the clips (all aftermarket fuel rails don't use them), but some insist on running them for peace of mind. Many people think Chrysler put them on for a reason...

Apples and oranges but my Spearco intercooled GLHT ran TII injectors in it for close to 20 years. In fact I had a 5th injector as well. This was with a stage II LM and very close to stock fuel pressure. Car now runs same LM and is running FFV injectors (serviced by Mr. Injector) with base fuel around 46 PSI. Vehicle runs perfect and wideband is not running fat even on dead cold startup.

If you have a known good set of 32-34lbs injectors, I would try those first. Worst case you could put on a AFPR and bump fuel pressure down a few lbs if needed.

Todd

Thanks for the reply Todd. I have no less than 3 sets of flow matched TII injectors (actually they from TIIIs, but same thing) from Mr Injector still sealed in bags. I sent them 16 of them to be serviced and flow matched to each other and have only used one set so far. So yeah, I would love to use them up!

Good to know on the G cylinder head I got from you. I have little experience with ported heads so I admit I'm not very familiar with what I am looking at sometimes.

....and I may have a Spearco intercooler kit soon. Not complete, but enough to get me going. The exhaust system on the car is very free flowing 3" system. You could probably roll a tennis ball through it. The exhaust manifold is stock, but it uses a TU 3" swingvalve and TU mandrel bent downpipe, 3" 'test pipe' to replace the cat, 3" FWDP mandrel bent cat-back system, and a Dynomax Ultraflo muffler (straight thru).

turbo addict

Jeremy I sent you an email.
    Todd

Hybrid booster

The clips are just to hold the injectors to the fuel rails, so when being serviced and the mechanic needs to pull fuel rail the injectors stay on the rail and fuel doesn't go every where.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Buy an adjustable FPR and turn the fuel pressure down so it runs closed loop when warm.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info