Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: 88' shelby Z quest for 11's (lots of pics)

Re: 88' shelby Z quest for 11's (lots of pics)

Yeah the assumption as far as I know is because number 4 injector goes lean from lack of flow/pressure. But yeah I'll probably need more pump before I even get to that point. I'm only running the walbro 255 intank with the stock 5/16 metal lines. But I'm running 86lb injectors at only 35 PSI base pressure so with 20 PSI less base the pump is capable of far more power than at 55 psi base pressure. I'm not sure if the lower base pressure would play a role in the number 4 going lean sooner or later, or make no difference.

I believe I can still hit 400whp with that setup. Like I said the next step is a fuel cell with probably a 400lph pump and 3/8'' braided line the whole way. I may even consider going with a tank inside the engine bay like gary D did in relentless, if I can fit atleast a 5 gallon cell in there. I don't really want to go less than 5 because I will always want it to be a streetable car no matter what I do.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

id split the feed line and send it to both sides of the rail if the goal is 400whp.

i like to cover my bases. why risk it when the effort is minimal. split the feed with a tee. use rubber hose to both ends, done.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Finally getting things rolling again. Life with kids is craziness! lol

Got the shortblock torn down and got the block and rods to the machine shop on tuesday. Block is getting cleaned and decked, rods resized and rebalanced. They actually called today saying they were working on them today and had a question, hopefully I can pick the block and rods back up monday and get the shortblock back together asap.

G head is ported, cross drilled, and sent to the machine shop with +1mm valves and comp springs for the works (Cleaned, pressure checked, surfaced, new guides, valve job).

Received my cast 2.2 common block crank and bearings from Autozone. I just ordered the crank kit for a 90' omni 2.2 TBI engine, received the crank turned .25/.25mm and sealed power bearings....I used an online code for 30% off and free shipping so I only paid $118 shipped to my door!!! I couldn't even get my original crank turned again for that cheap, but I wanted a cast crank anyway. I received it the next day after ordering too, props to autozone on this one that was a great score there.

The stock forged crank is totally trashed anyway, super deep gouge on the one rod journal that spun the bearing.

Doubt I'll be completely finished before SDAC with the engine in and bugs worked out, but hopefully done before Carlisle. I probably wouldn't be able to get off work for the drag day at SDAC anyway.

turbo addict

yay!!!!!

so wait what is the final best guess on what caused the previous incident?

Faulty relief valve in the oil pump. Above 5k RPM the oil pressure would tank to about 20 PSI or so.....not enough to turn a low pressure light on, and when above 5k I was only ever watching boost and air/fuel gauges.

boostaholic

Was it the cup?

Quote Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
    I wonder if the pressure relief spring and cup have a fault?

Here's my thinking: The pressure builds and pushes on the cup and spring, once it reaches 60 psi it could hang in the bore, then when the pressure gets high enough it pushes the cup past a bur or dirt or whatever and you have a huge drop in pressure.

Just a thought.

I didn't take the oil pump apart, I honestly have too much other things to do than bother with it. I have another pump on the shelf thats going back in and maybe eventually at some point I'll tear that one apart.

Right now I'm working on tearing the dash out to replace the leaking heater core while I have the engine out. While I'm in there I will remove the A/C evaporator to save weight and also rip all the speakers out of the dash. I also need to replace the broken shifter cable as well, but right now still working on pulling the dash.

turbo addict

sooo...where are we as far as status. can we get a status?

Got the block and rods back from the machine shop yesterday, got the main studs in the mail today from TU. Commencing the build saturday, should be able to get the shortblock done in just a few hours.

Still waiting on the head to be done at the machine shop after that, they said about another week or so. Probably get it about the same time I'll get my clutch disk from TU.....had to order a large spline disk for this 568, but this time I just bought a solid hub disk. Still using the same yellow pressure plate, definitely going to put this clutch setup to the test on holding power since I'm hoping to crack 400whp with under 30psi on this setup.

Received my clutch disk the other day from TU, 4 puck solid hub for my large splined 568.

Also just picked up my head from the machine shop. I'd get some pics but its still in my car, just started raining as I got home and it just dumped 3 inches of rain in 1/2 hour. My yard is literally a lake in the low points, totally insane amount of water. Remnants of hurricane Bill passing by us here.

boostaholic

It crushed Cleveland this morning
    My wife had to drive an hour and a half around the flooding
    Usually takes her 30 min

Yeah I heard we only got the outskirt of the storm. We had 70mph winds, hail, and like I said 3 inches of rain in about 30 minutes. We lost power for like 10 seconds but it came right back on, we got lucky because the power goes out in my area all the time.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by moparzrule View Post
    Yeah I heard we only got the outskirt of the storm. We had 70mph winds, hail, and like I said 3 inches of rain in about 30 minutes. We lost power for like 10 seconds but it came right back on, we got lucky because the power goes out in my area all the time.
    I think I can safely say I have never seen a storm like that...

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

That rainfall is nothing compared to what came through Texas last month. We got enough rain to end California's long running drought.. 3 times over! In one month!

IT WAS AWESOME.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    That rainfall is nothing compared to what came through Texas last month. We got enough rain to end California's long running drought.. 3 times over! In one month!

IT WAS AWESOME.
    native Californians really are clueless about weather..the "big storms" here wouldn't even be noticed in other parts of the country but here if it starts drizzling people start painting their apocalypse announcement placards and then the death toll on the freeways starts rising...I can confirm that everything about Californians that you hear is 100% true

turbo addict

is your car gunna be running this weekend???

Hoping to drop it in saturday and spend some evenings next week breaking in the engine and tuning for the new G head cal. It shouldn't be too much different than my swirl head cal though since I already had a butt load of timing advance in it because I hogged the chambers out so much.
    Yesterday I pulled the heater box out to replace the heater core and take the AC evaporator out to save weight. I also took out the 2 little speakers on top of the dash prolly 1 pound each but hey every pound is something. The evaporator probably weighed like 4-5 pounds, and the new heater core is aluminum so it's like a pound lighter than the stock copper one. Now I have to put it all back in tonight, though it's calling for rain so I'm not sure if that'll happen. Then I have to replace the one shifter cable that broke on me, and then the car itself should be all ready for the engine to drop back in. I just need to get that stuff done first because it's much easier to do without the engine in. I could only imagine how difficult it would be to get to those bolts on the firewall that hold the heater box in when the engine was in there.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moparzrule View Post
    I could only imagine how difficult it would be to get to those bolts on the firewall that hold the heater box in when the engine was in there.
    3 of them are easy. the lower middle one is a bit of a pain but not that bad.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

The engine is completely ready to go in but the rain refuses to end today. Weather.com has had 0% chance of rain for carlisle since 2pm yet here it is 4pm and it has not stopped raining here. So frustrating.

Didn't have a whole lot of time tonight but I did manage to get it dropped in and the motor mounts all hooked up. Went to jack it up to wire up the starter and hook up the downpipe and it started to rain. There's like a 50% chance of rain everyday this week, totally insane I can't seem to get this thing done in time for carlisle.

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast