Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 88' shelby Z quest for 11's (lots of pics)

88' shelby Z quest for 11's (lots of pics)

4 years ago was the last time I've been to the track. I had a quest for 11's, but only ended up with a 12.3@112mph in my 88' Dodge shadow. I had tiny 22'' MT slicks, and was only on pump gas running 22 PSI. Real life happened and I had a 2 year old son at this point with a second child on the way, my priorities kind of shifted so I sold the shadow.
    In January 2013 I was surfing craigslist when I spotted a ''rust free'' 88 Shelby Z Daytona for $1200. I was like, I gotta check this out. So I went and looked at it, sure enough rust free and in great shape. But the engine was running rough, low compression on one cylinder and it kept oil fouling the plug in a matter of 50 miles if that. All stock, but the vacuum lines were messed up and it would hit overboost cutout when I test drove it I offered him $1000 and he accepted, so I changed the plug out and drove it home!

Here's what it looked like in his driveway-

The car sat for 6 months until I really had the time and money to tear the head off and replace what I thought would just be a broken piston from overboosting it too much. Boy was I wrong. The plan was just to rebuild the stock short block, throw in some wiseco's and prepped rods from TU, and turn the crank. Well, as soon as the head came off I found this-

The clip has popped off and scored the cylinder deeper than I've ever seen, must have been close to completely punching through the sleeve. So I decided to find a commonblock since I had to buy a whole new block anyway. While I was searching I was busy porting and rebuilding the head. It has a full port job, +1mm stainless valves, and comp cams springs. Here's a pic-

So after a couple months I finally find a 2.2 commonblock short block close enough to purchase and pick up. While looking I found an A523 with only 50k original miles for $100, and figured for the same price of buying a moly plate for the 555 I'd just upgrade to the newer style trans. So I did, and also picked up the newer style shifter/cables and installed those as well.

Tore the new short block down, ported the oil passage, and took it straight to the machine shop with my .020 over wiseco's. Crank turned, cylinders bored, new intermediate shaft bushings installed, etc. Got prepped rods from TU, and built the shortblock. Here's a pic right before I slapped the head on-

And now the long block built-

While building I acquired a 57 trim T04E with .63 stage 3 turbine turbo, larger than I wanted (I wanted a 50 trim with stage 2 turbine) but the price was right. The original plan was just to run a ported stock exhaust manifold, with a ported 2 piece intake with 52mm throttle body. Well, at this time the group buy was going on for a TU header, so I thought, why not it'll help me make more power. So I got in on that, but it was delaying my engine getting in. So by the time I was about the get he TU header, Acannell was starting to do his intakes. So I was like, well I waited this long lets go for it. So I got in on the intake too.

Just a few weeks ago I received both the TU header and the intake. I had to install a provision for the knock sensor, and then I had to port the 58mm throttle body (for those that don't know a 58mm TB necks down to about 54mm inside the bore).

Here's several pics showing the porting and clearancing and install of those-

I modified a stock 1 piece rail- drilled out the ends to 1/4'' NPT, took out the inner tube and put a 3/8'' barb on the one end and plugged the other.

Then I had the figure out how the mount the wastegate can, it was very difficult with the new intake since the plenum sits lower than even a 2 piece intake. So I picked up the hybrid Z bracket from TU, had to drill and mount it only using 1 bolt but it should be fine. Then I had to shim the one side of the can because the angle was off, I could not bend the Z bracket it's really thick metal.

Just the other weekend, the 11th, I finally got the engine installed in my Daytona! TU 4 puck with yellow plate installed, trans mounted to the engine, Polybushing front and bobble strut on, starter on, and in it went-

Got the axles in, starter wired up, and some accessories bolted on so far, but still a lot to do.

Right now, waiting on my 83lb injectors to come Tuesday, I already have a custom calibration from Shelgame for them and a 4 bar map sensor ready for BIG BOOST woot! Then my 3'' exhaust in the mail that should arrive this week from TU as well. Then I can install the bung for the wideband and install the exhaust. More pics to come, and I'll also show interior pics later because I installed some racing seats and completely tore everything out behind the front seats. Then I also picked up an intercooler yesterday as well that I'll take pics of.

Right now I'm not sure I'll be completely tuned and ready to run big boost at Cecil on the 15th of November. The delays in waiting for the TU header then the Acannell intake put me several weeks behind. But I'm hoping at the very least to have the pump gas tune done and atleast run some 12's on 18-20 PSI before winter here. I don't know if it's capable of 11's on pump gas, if it is than I best be installing a roll cage because I plan on taking this beast to 35 PSI boost WOOT!

Re: 88' shelby Z quest for 11's (lots of pics)

Reserved.

boostaholic

Wow nice progress / build! Can't wait to see it at Cecil.

turbo addict

Looks like a real nice project!!!

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Great read, and really glad to see you're not afraid to Crank that BOOST!!!!!!!! (just be Careful while you're doing it )

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Why the TU yellow over the purple?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

It's a used clutch with 3k miles, I think I payed like $175 for it. Just couldn't pass it up. I figure, that clutch will probably be around the same limits as a 523 trans anyway.

I just picked up a 568 trans, it's a large spline so if that clutch starts slipping I'll swap the trans and clutch at the same time. When I upgrade, if I need to, I'll be going with the TU 232mm 4 puck unsprung hub and purple plate.

I didn't have time to order the clutch I wanted and wait for it if I want to run at cecil. Too many delays already!

Sick build!

Garrett booster

Great build! It's good to see a Daytona being built to run, instead of being used for a l-body donor

Looking good! Glad to see you on this project.

Only suggestion I'd like to make is that you might want to do some testing on your knock sensor if you intend on relying on it. Given the differences in the manifold along with how it's mounted, I can't imagine it's sensitivity will be the same. You might want to consider working to reset your knock sensitivity scale in your cal.

Well, I definitely thought about it but it is in a nearly identical to stock position and directly mounted onto the intake now like stock. I have my old calibration from my shadow to copy the timing tables, which is a very similar setup as this, so if it shows knock I'll know it's more sensitive than stock. My hope is that it's more sensitive than the stock if it's off, and not the other way lol. I wouldn't really know how to observe/test knock to recalibrate it if it was off.

Did a few things last night. Ran some adhesive header wrap on the runners of the intake for a heat shield, hooked up 4 bar MAP sensor, installed all the vacuum lines and block, ran the 3'' intake pipe, for now I just looped the pipes from the turbo to the TB, installed heater core/#4 cooling mod lines, and then installed the radiator.

Waiting for injectors to arrive today, if it's not raining later today I'll have them installed then install the SMEC and hopefully atleast fire it up today (without exhaust on but I just want to make sure everything is working in case there's something I need to fix before that gets here).

I will take pics of all this as I'm installing the injectors today (again if it doesn't rain on me).

It's alive! Fired it up today, though I don't have the exhaust on yet (it's coming tomorrow!). Even open swingvalve it wasn't THAT loud.

But, couple issues arose which is why I didn't wait until the exhaust came. Found out the heater core must be leaking, coolant was dripping out the drain spout on the firewall (where the condensating water would drip off for the A/C) after only running for only a minute or so...just long enough that I could set the ignition timing.

Then also, getting code 13 and its running in limp mode. Not sure what that's about, got a brand new line going from the block right to the baro solenoid, no leaks. And the line from the baro to the map is fine. I would think if I wired it wrong or if the MAP sensor was bad it would be throwing code 14 not 13.

Pics! Again, I just looped the pipe from the turbo to the TB for now until I get my intercooler. And then a quick pic of my ''heatshield''.

turbo addict

Just want to follow the progress!

Took the heater core lines off and just looped the one hose for now until I have a chance to replace the heater core.

Found out I wired the MAP sensor wrong, swapped 2 of the wires and now no more limp mode or code 13 woot!

Working on the exhaust now

boostaholic

Loving the motivation! Am I going to see this hot rod tomorrow?

If I was coming in the afternoon I could have brought it up, but noooo someone wants to go racing I'll be installing the exhaust tomorrow afternoon then

Had to go to a friends house tonight and get the hanger and the wideband O2 bung welded on. He did a great job, thanks Brandon! (bgbmxer)

Got the exhaust on, had to install a muffler for now to pass inspection but then it'll come back off. Still need to do a battery hold down too, it has a tractor battery to save about 10 pounds so it has to be a custom hold down.

Drove it yesterday, I must have the timing belt off a tooth on the cam it had no low end power at all Then when I got back I heard a miss on one cylinder, that's kind of scary. I checked the plugs and they all look fine. When I first started it up it had a fairly loud lifter tap so I'm thinking it may have a collapsed lifter. The comp cams springs are probably a lot stiffer than stock so after sitting for a year I guess the lifters weren't up to par. This is all speculation I have to pull the valve cover tomorrow and figure out whats going on. Another possible scenario, which scares me, is that a seat dropped....because it was running fine when I came back, I shut it off to give the car a wash, and when I started it back up it had the miss. This happened to me in my original Daytona, the seat would drop and the rocker would fall off. I would have to take the valve cover off, set the rocker back on, turn the engine over and it would pop back in and I could drive again until it would happen to stop while that valve was open and allow the seat to drop again. I really hope I don't have seat issues with this head that I put gobs of money and time into....and worst of all, have to take the head back off to fix it and not get to run this year at all. The suspense is terrible, and no I don't hope it lasts but I won't have time to pop the valve cover until tomorrow.

ok the suspense was bad enough. Just took 10 minutes quick before I have to leave and checked the cam timing, I must just have been out of the game too long it still looks fine to me but it HAS to be off a tooth as I've run into this plenty of times before with the low end power just being horrible.

I can't remember if the notch was suppose to line up on the second or third rib on the valve cover. It's on the third, but I'm thinking second. But, when I check the alignment from the notch down to the crank it seems in line, I took a couple pics. I'm still 90% sure it's retarded a tooth just from the way it drove. I had no power until 3500 RPM then it really came on (even out of boost).

Then I popped the valve cover off, no rocker arms off their spots (relieved) but I don't really see a collapsed lifter either. Now I need to move onto fuel related issues, I'm not sure if an injector crapped out on me so I'll have to check that tomorrow.

turbo addict

hard to say from just a pic but it does look retarded 1 tooth. I keep the covers around the shop just for this. Easy to line everything up, slap the cover on real quick and see if the holes line up.

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast