Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 91 Spirit R/T build thread

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Re: 91 Spirit R/T build thread

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Now there's a filter.
    Just heard from a customer who has over a decades time on the engine package I built, installed and dyno'd. The turbo JUST started smoking after 13 years of hard service. He laughed and said the engine has been an anvil and unbreakable but the car (an l-body) has consumed several 525 transaxles.

Working on clearing the decks.

Hybrid booster

Used a wire brush, then one of those hard red rough scouring/sanding wheels. Some rustoleum rust reformer, then gray primer so far. Waiting on primer to dry good before spraying with some duplicolor bright white paint.

- - - Updated - - -

Will seee how much flak I catch here over this. It was a real hit on facebook. lol classic 6-pack style bolt on scoop.

Or backwards for more of a cowl style.

Please do not take this the wrong way, but pass on the hood scoop.

Hybrid booster

Got something new for it delivered today.

Hybrid booster

New turbo went on, then shortly after the bushing on intermediate shaft went out taking the seal and causing a massive oil leak. Got that fixed, then started over powering the clutch so ordered a new TU Stage IV clutch and 6-puck disc. Still waiting on that, but now there is a crack in the head on #3 spark plug hole which sprays coolant on the spark plug and causes car to misfire. Can't even drive it because as soon as coolant heats up the spark goes out.

- - - Updated - - -

About to give up on this thing, it's just been one thing after another.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by HSKR View Post
    New turbo went on, then shortly after the bushing on intermediate shaft went out taking the seal and causing a massive oil leak. Got that fixed, then started over powering the clutch so ordered a new TU Stage IV clutch and 6-puck disc. Still waiting on that, but now there is a crack in the head on #3 spark plug hole which sprays coolant on the spark plug and causes car to misfire. Can't even drive it because as soon as coolant heats up the spark goes out.

- - - Updated - - -

About to give up on this thing, it's just been one thing after another.
    Wonder if anyone has ever had the skill to weld this on the car? Seen some pretty sick welds done on very dirty aluminum using the fancier welders that have independent EN/EP amperage controls (like a Miller Dynasty 350dx). Specifically on aluminum corroded by coolant to repair flange surfaces.

The clutch is to be expected! That is actually a measure of success :P
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Hybrid booster

Not really complaining about having to buy clutch, but more that right after I buy it I have the problem with the head. By suggestion from local head Porter iI anything some epoxy on the head to seal the crack. If it doesn't work, I'm only out $7

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

There's always Blue Devil...
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Hybrid booster

First drive after the epoxy treatment and no leak

Hybrid booster

New tires.

Cooper Zeon RS3-A 225/50/16

Car show in my hometown.

Sunset shot at my place of employment.

Trans out for new clutch

Old clutch

New clutch

Clean k-member

And my clutch cable adjuster broke, but was able to make it work as is.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Cool pics. I like the plate.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Cool pics. I like the plate.
    Funny thing is when I was asking before I ordered it, nobody liked it and was told by several to not get it. Since I've had tem on the car, every reaction to the plate is highly positive with "That's awesome" being the most common remark.

Hybrid booster

Took it to local 1/8th mile drag strip last night. First time I've had it on track and first time I've driven a manual trans on drag strip. Best run of night was 10.16 @ 71MPH with a 2.39 60' on only 10lbs of boost.

Not bad at all for the first time out. You didn't break anything and that 60' time leaves a lot of room for improvement. Nice work.

Hybrid booster

Worst part was first 4 runs I was trying to work on cutting a light and other stuff as I was entered in a brand wars bracket race. The 10.16 came the first run after I was knocked out first round of brackets.

Hybrid booster

Had to get a new exhaust installed due to getting a ticket for loud exhaust. I had cut off the one I had installed in Cali because it was 2.25" crush bent piping. This time it's all 2.5" using the same muffler. Mandrel bends around the gas tank, but the piece I had that was mandrel bend for over axle didn't fit my Spirit. It came off an Omni. So ended up with crappy crush bends over axle, but at least it's 2.5". Amazingly, using larger piping it's actually quieter and sounds better.

Then right after I left exhasut shop, went back to the track. Car is a little slower with a full exhasut on it vs the chopped off straight pipe. Best run of night was a 10.24@68 mph with a 2.41 60' time. Run before that was a 10.246@71mph with a 2.49 60'. Still only on 10lbs of boost.

I think I have the boost fixed now. Was hitting 15psi today after playing with grainger valve some more.

That's a bummer about the ticket. Talk about a cop with nothing to do.

Hybrid booster

Took it to a car show today.

Then when I got home decided to finish the window trim chrome delete I started on drivers side a couple months ago.

Then decided to try "fixing" my side moldings with some plastidip. Trial run on the rear passenger door trim. Just the white on the bottom. Can compare to front door to see what it looked like before.

Hybrid booster

Went to another car show and got better outside pics of the chrome delete.

Hybrid booster

Been a while since I did anything with the car. Fixed the timing belt isssue that was causing car to cut out under boost. Ended up being one cog off an crank fro TDC. Then went out on a cruise with a local modern Mopar group. Pushed car harder than I ever have before and went faster than I ever have since I've owned the car. Didnt try to top it out because I'm still not that confident in it. Here's a video of my high speed run. Maybe hit 125mph. Didn't sty in it too long after speedo pegged at 120.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast