Thread: 91 Spirit R/T build thread

Threaded View

Hybrid booster

91 Spirit R/T build thread

Car is now for sale for anyone interested. $1400!!!!! Comes with lots of extra stuff.

Since my Daytona IROC got totaled, I replaced it with a '91 Spirit R/T, which has beeen an adventure and the car is still currently on jack stands. Figured now was as good of time as any to start the build thread with some pics.

Day I bought it while it was still running. About 1/2 mile from sellers house at a burger joint.

When we went to leave car would not start cause battery was dead, knew the battery was bad, but was hoping I could just jump start it with the GFs car to get it home, but her cables weren't a large enough gauge to jump the car with a battery that wouldn't take a charge at all. Run to Walmart for a battery and couple quarts of oil for the road just in case.

Get back to car, new battery, car starts and get on the road. Not even 6 miles later lose oil pressure from an improperly tensioned timing belt taking out intermediate shaft and oil pump gear. Have car towed back to sellers house. Next weekend head back down with my truck and a car dolly to bring it home

Yes, it's my Dakota R/T towing my Spirit R/T.

Get it home and tear it apart and this is the carnage.

And #4 rod bearing from running with no oil pressure

First "mod" while waiting on new oil pump and intermediate shaft. INstalled the Ebay BOV and grainger valve I had on Daytona onto the Spirit.

Also while waiting the Eibach Springs I originally ordered as part of FWDP group buy for the Daytona showed up

Stock rear wheel gap

Stock rear coil compared to Eibach

Eibach front springs on the KYB GR-2 struts I had on Daytona.

Rear wheel gap after Eibachs

Sitting level shot after getting the engine running again. Also installed the Ninja wheels off the Daytona in place of the snowflakes

At Pep Boys waiting on an alignment. I actually got really close putting everything back together. No adjustment needed to camber only thing he had to adjust was toe.

Shot of the rear panhard bar aftr lowering sitting on alignment rack.

On way home car started smoking badly on decel and from a stop. Turbo sounded like crap. Lost the nut off impellar wheel.

Found the nut in intercooler hose along with a LOT of oil in bottom of intercooler itself.

Latest mod while I wwait on the new turbo. clear side markers and parking lights from a '91 Lebaron in local junkyard.

Things that still need fixed. Transmission will not engage in 2nd gear. Shifter drops down to where 2nd should be but does not engage. If you let out clutch you can "grind" the gear. Almost like the shifter needs to be able to go down about another 1/2" to get into gear. Transmission also has ATF in it, so will proably draing it and refill with recommended 5W-30. Odometer and trip meter don't work, but all other guages do. Also have some EBC slotted/dimpled Sport rotors sitting in a box for the front. Just need front pads and some new rotors/pads for rear and will replace the brakes and put some fresh brake fluid in at same time.
    Last edited by HSKR; 02-07-2016 at 10:53 PM.