Thread: Cam position Sensor - 340 code - PT cruiser -

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Cam position Sensor - 340 code - PT cruiser -

Elderly neighbor lady's car. I did the key on/off thing and got code 340 which is cam sensor.

So, I imagine that it has to be the sensor or power to the sensor, or a bad ground.

Which of the sensor wires is the ground wire? Thought I'd just tap in/add a good ground to the block for starters.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Cam position Sensor - 340 code - PT cruiser -

Test for continuity between the wires and the battery. There's your ground unless it's not a good connection. I've replaced a few 2.0 Neon cam sensors. They aren't the best IMO. Another issue that is somewhat more common in the later cars is that the magnet on the cam can get enough junk on it to prevent a good reading. There are more poles on that style magnet so they are less forgiving of the junk. Frankly, I would throw a cam sensor at it before I did anything else. For $30 they're cheap and a high enough probability that I would roll the dice on that easy fix.

Doh! Thanks, I'll confirm good ground and next step will be a new sensor.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."

turbo addict

id say cam sensor for sure, ive replaced at least 18 of them, don't get autozone/oriely, they fail quickly, get the dealer part. theres more "stiffening" ribs in it to keep it from warping. find that more of the common problem, they get a slight distortion to them and don't create a good signal.

Thanks, there are other issues - sulfated battery terminal, and then a bad cell in her battery, so working through it, naturally the codes re-set and now no 340 code, so . . . . . she's driving it but likely it will throw a 340 again and then . . . . a new Mopar sensor it will be.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand