Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 89 Dodge Shadow ES

Mitsu booster

89 Dodge Shadow ES

I bought an 89 Dodge Shadow ES a few weeks ago after looking for a few years and I figured I'd drop in and say hello. It's a 2.5l T1 with a 5 speed and bone stock which will probably change. My plan is to do fairly simple upgrades like an exhaust, intercooler (not for sure) and get a flashable ECU from BoostButton. I noticed that the throw out bearing is whining so I'm planning on changing out the clutch and everything just to be safe which leads me to a question. Do you guys have any suggestions on clutches, pressure plates and flywheels? I hope I posted this in the right place.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by TheJ; 03-29-2015 at 12:24 AM.

turbo addict

Re: 89 Dodge Shadow ES

hey thats a nice one, shadows are the best.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

turbo addict

I'm a fan of the spec clutches. Mine is holding up pretty good.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Turbo's Unleashed has a line of upgraded clutches and supporting components as does FWD-performance.

Just to say this and not scare you. Being a 1989 that car has what we call the NP-520 transmission. There is a design defect inherent with those transmissions where a support bearing rolls directly on the end of the pinion shaft. Over time that shaft gets eaten up and ultimately the shaft and gears get out of alignment and all sorts of bad things happen. With the transmission out of the car while replacing the clutch it is not much more time to take the transmission down and give it a good once over to inspect for that and replace the seals and fork pads while its all apart.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I would go to TU for the clutch. I don't know that I would pull the trans apart unless you had a spare trans to steal parts from. There are also a lot of specialty tools required if you need to do much in the way of serious work in there.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    Turbo's Unleashed has a line of upgraded clutches and supporting components as does FWD-performance.

Just to say this and not scare you. Being a 1989 that car has what we call the NP-520 transmission. There is a design defect inherent with those transmissions where a support bearing rolls directly on the end of the pinion shaft. Over time that shaft gets eaten up and ultimately the shaft and gears get out of alignment and all sorts of bad things happen. With the transmission out of the car while replacing the clutch it is not much more time to take the transmission down and give it a good once over to inspect for that and replace the seals and fork pads while its all apart.
    I have read about that on thedodgegarage.com if I do in fact need the gears and pinion shaft where can I get them along with the seals and fork pads. Thanks for the info.

The fork pads are available from Lengle on here. Gears and shafts will have to be procured used from the parts wanted section. Seals are pretty easy as they are readily available still.

Mitsu booster

The Shadow was a one owner car that has 78k miles on it so I'm hoping its ok. Is there a simple way to check if the pinion shaft is ok? Sorry for all of the newb questions this is the first manual car I've owned.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I would go to TU for the clutch. I don't know that I would pull the trans apart unless you had a spare trans to steal parts from. There are also a lot of specialty tools required if you need to do much in the way of serious work in there.
    Miller 6252 or a homebrew equivalent to hold the input shaft from spinning while loosening/tightening that nut is the only tool that most don't have in their toolbox if your just doing an informal inspection.

Mitsu booster

I don't suppose there are any symptoms of that pinion shaft getting worn down.

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    Miller 6252 or a homebrew equivalent to hold the input shaft from spinning while loosening/tightening that nut is the only tool that most don't have in their toolbox if your just doing an informal inspection.
    Agreed. You're going to be out some money if you get in there and find that you might like to replace some stuff though. Then you're in a situation where "since I'm going to... I might as well...". I guess I've always been lucky with my transmissions though. They always look great when I pull them apart. I do know that the 555 in CSX 42 had to have a main shaft replaced in the early 90s though.

Mitsu booster

Thanks for the info guys. I was looking through the TU site and saw they had lightened cast iron flywheels, are these a good idea for a daily driver?

For a DD I would just stick with the stock flywheel.

Mitsu booster

I was reading through my 89 service manual and it doesn't mention anything about special tools to remove the differential am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    I was reading through my 89 service manual and it doesn't mention anything about special tools to remove the differential am I missing something?
    No. You don't need any special tools to remove the diff. You will need them if you would like to replace the diff bearings though. Also, the shaft we are talking about is the transmission intermediate shaft. The bearing at the front of the case near the ring for the diff can cause problems. It's mainly due to bad shafts since they don't ride in a race or anything though.

Mitsu booster

Oh I'm sorry, I thought you guys were referring to the diff pinion shaft wearing out like this:

How would I go about doing a simple inspection? I really appreciate the input and info.

You would have to pretty much disassemble the trans down to the loaded shafts. Pull the shift selector, the end cover, bearing plate, etc. remove the shafts after removing the bolt from the shift forks. Then pull the shafts out. It's a big job. With 7x,xxx easy miles I would just leave it alone. The 568 I just pulled out of my Shadow had over 300K on it many of which were very, very hard miles.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I used to have the *exact* same car, but it was a sedan. I miss that car even more than my 1st car (an '85 Omni GLH H.O.). So much fun those turbo P-bodies.

Garrett booster

So, not really the "exact" same car if it had two more doors. Just givin you crap, Jeremy.

Hybrid booster

ive run the race weight steel flywheel from TU for about 4k miles as a DD and feels just fine on the street

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast