Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A little bird tweeted in my ear.........

turbo addict

Re: A little bird tweeted in my ear.........

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    Thanks Rob, If I continue pushing the car to its best performance it will need a lot more than a chute. That is where I'm at now; do I want to go through all the hassle of licensing, more safety equipment, more roll cage and all the expense and labor? I get tired thinking about it. (I will be 60 next year)
    Also, for some reason, so far I have not experienced any transmission failures of any kind (knock on wood). but I'm sure if I start cranking up the boost something will go BOOM! and that takes all the fun out of it; SO, I'm at a crossroads with this car that I've been racing now since 1997. What to do??

I would actually consider any reasonable offer to buy the Laser.......Anyone?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, no slider cam. I'm running one of two custom rollers I had made.
    How much work is in the tranny?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Congratulations, Warren! I can't wait to see what she does with more fuel!
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    How much work is in the tranny?
    I would have to think about that for a spell, as I built it back in 2000 and have not had it apart for any reason since;(except for filter change) over 400 runs on it, plus street testing. But, What I remember.........full manual reversed valve body, five pinion planetary, extra clutch discs in drums, removed governor, separated/isolated final drive fluid cavity from main housing, polished and shot peened stock input shaft, fabricated aluminum deep oil pan and pick-up, larger Neon carrier brg. support, custom line pressure adjuster, custom built convertor by Dynamic, welded differential, and obsessive attention to detail on all clearances upon assembly.
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Thanks Mike, The way it looks now I think 9.40's should be possible, maybe more, I will see next season. I will run it till I get kicked out of four different tracks
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

...and obsessive attention to detail on all clearances upon assembly.
    I'm guessing this is a big part of things living... running on the tight side of things to take up slop from tolerance stack-up?

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Thanks Mike, The way it looks now I think 9.40's should be possible, maybe more, I will see next season. I will run it till I get kicked out of four different tracks
    I suspect you're right. Given your 1/8 ET and mph, even if you stopped accelerating and cruised at 118 mph through to the quarter, you'd still run a 9.8 or so.

Yes Pat, On one of the first passes when I still got 1/4m. incremental times, I lifted right after the 1/8 and coasted to a 10.7@89mph on the brakes before the finish line LOL....OOPS, sorry..correction-99mph, not 89
    Last edited by Warren Stramer; 10-15-2014 at 09:23 PM.

turbo addict

Just incredible
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Absolutely outstanding results Warren!! It's great to see all the hard work and innovation paying off. It gives me some motivation to get back to working on my cheater's 16V.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

I must admit I am very surprised at how this thing runs. I was hopping to take the car to the next level up in performance, but this engine (and I say this with genuine surprise) is on a whole new magnitude of power that I truly didn't expect. The few times I inadvertently let the boost go over 50psi for a second or two, its like getting hit from behind by a freight train, Seriously; I have a hard time keeping it below 8000rpm, as that is where it wants to run.
    I didn't break anything and have next season to look forward to.....Warren
    I think I can understand where your coming from (shock to the system when the real World reality hits you in the seat of the pants! lol) after all the hard work and speculation, and I Hope I don't sound too presumptuous saying this but; The Laser is doing exactly what I believed it would! (I'm sure I've mentioned this before)

When I saw what it did on the 50 trim stage three, making Over 500WHP And more Specifically, it ran out the turbo at 26 psi. (I've seen a couple Built 16v's do this) I Knew the cam/ head combo was going to make well over 700WHP on the GTX3582r.

I've tried to tell people this for the last couple years, but find that most Don't have the ability to "compare" one build to another, so it's nice to see results finally coming out and people can finally see for themselves what I Knew was coming years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    I suspect you're right. Given your 1/8 ET and mph, even if you stopped accelerating and cruised at 118 mph through to the quarter, you'd still run a 9.8 or so.
    Aha! The first 9 sec prediction! (well, other than mine and Warren's) Very Cool, specially when you factor it that this is still Just 25psi blowing the W/G open all the way up the curve! (slowest boost curve possible)

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

boostaholic

Amazing Warren! Congrats

turbo addict

Good F'n lord!!! It isn't even running right and is friggin amazing!!

I'm going to take a stab at it and say the car can probably dip into the low 9's.
    ~9.3X @ 145mph (I'm not a big drag racer, so I don't know if that combination even makes a lot of sense! LOL)

turbo addict

9.3 would put him closer to 150+. Rob runs at consistent 140+ and runs low 10's. I think it is because he is scared for tjat single digit number
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by 85boostbox View Post
    9.3 would put him closer to 150+. Rob runs at consistent 140+ and runs low 10's. I think it is because he is scared for tjat single digit number
    Robs car is just 1 more psi of boost away from 9s, At 45psi and perhaps bigger injectors he could run 9.7s now! If I were running a manual trans, I would be giving his clutch set-up some REAL close scrutiny(as in, I would copy it exactly). Maybe I shouldn't have said that, but too late

You can't compare an auto car to a manual as far as MPH goes. A torque convertor gives up 4-6 MPH over the manual.
    I believe one of the reasons I have not broke my auto is because my convertor is SO loose. I calculated the slip %@ over 20%. I'm surprised it can even trap over 118 in the 1/8. My car usually picks up 25-28mph in the second half of the track, so that would put me at about 144mph so far.

I wish someone could post up some incremental time slips of two or three of the TD's that have run mid to low 9s.

turbo addict

I was just giving Rob a hard time. I KNOW his car is more than capable of 9's.

What is your car stalling at Warren? With what you trapped in the 1/8th I personally think that you will trap higher. Reason being is that you're pushing a lot more power and very obviously the car is breathing a lot heavier up top. Have you even been able to figure out when the car stops making power yet? I would be interested to know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Good F'n lord!!! It isn't even running right and is friggin amazing!!

I'm going to take a stab at it and say the car can probably dip into the low 9's.
    ~9.3X @ 145mph (I'm not a big drag racer, so I don't know if that combination even makes a lot of sense! LOL)
    In order to go 9.3's at only 145mph Warren would prob need to be 1700lbs race weight like Stephan was. Otherwise you loose too much dragging the extra weight off the line and will never get the 60' and 330' of a Super Light Weight FWD.

My car usually picks up 25-28mph in the second half of the track, so that would put me at about 144mph so far.
    Pretty sure we are Safe Assuming the .82 A/R GTX35r is going to make a Few More mph on the backhalf than a Choked up 50 trim stage 3!!!! LMAO

I wish someone could post up some incremental time slips of two or three of the TD's that have run mid to low 9s.
    Well, I don't think there are 3 old school 9 second TD's to compare to! (am I forgetting someone?) Pretty sure it's just Stephan's 9 second S/C and Brian's Shadow. Since I've Never even seen a time slip from Stephane's car, I looked up some of Brian's runs for comparo and to give some insight to just where things sit.

I believe these are two of the first 9 second runs from 2009 after Brian did the fiberglass front end and running the BW S300 turbo with 72mm (inducer) compressor.

When I break down the two runs of Brian's, and knowing his Shadow was 1-200lbs Lighter than Warren's Laser ( pretty sure it said 2200-2250 race weight for the Shadow, and I'm guessing Warren's Laser is still 2350-2400lbs?) here's how I see it;

Warren's pass..........vs...........Brian's 9.87

60'.........1.580.............................1.60 7

.........................> 2.681......................> 2.702 (Time increment from 60' to 330')

330'.......4.261.............................4.309

.........................> 2.097......................> 2.138 (Time increment from 330' to 1/8th)

1/8th......6.358 @ 118.17mph.......6.447 @ 118.83mph

1/4..............................................9.8 73 @ 147.44mph

Even though the Shadow is Lighter, the Laser is clearly out accelerating it down the track, so definitely Faster than 9.87! I believe the Shadow was running around 22 psi on this run.

Warren's pass............vs.............Brian's 9.55

60'.........1.580...............................1. 559

.......................> 2.681............................> 2.626 (Time increment from 60' to 330')

330'........4.261............................. 4.185

.......................> 2.097............................> 2.063 (Time increment from 330' to 1/8th)

1/8th.......6.358 @ 118.17mph........6.248 @ 119.11mph

1/4........................................9.556 @ 147.37mph

The Shadow is showing some advantage from being lighter with a better 60' and 330' and is now out accelerating the Laser down the track, But Not by as much of a margin as the reverse from the previous comparo. I believe the Shadow was running 28 psi on this run, but rich.

330' on is what's going to tell the most (since we're trying to determine acceleration down the track), so in the first comparo the Laser is going from the 330 to the 1/8th .041 Faster than the Shadow. In the second comparo, the Shadow is .034 faster than the Laser. So it's Almost a split right down the middle, right between those two runs, which would make it a 9.696, but the Laser is almost .010 closer to the 9.55 run when comparing acceleration down the track, so I would feel safe saying 9.6X (low 9.6)

Now, this isn't taking gear and weight Fully into consideration, so the Laser Could slow down a bit from lack of gear and/ or weight on the high end. Maybe even from worse aero? (remember, the BSX has the Aero fiberglass front end) But thinking about that 3582r GTX turbo in comparison to the little 50 trim, I just Can't see it not picking up a few More mph.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by 85boostbox View Post
    HA! You just May have a point there my friend Now, to the point you're making, and I'm going to use another one of Brian's runs here. (hope that's OK, cause there just aren't any others for comparo) Wait a second! Maybe that's why I haven't run the Charger, so I don't have to watch while some Mad E-typer does endless comparo's with them! lol

Here is a Perfect eg. of what it takes to run a 9.3 on 150mph Or less.

Brian's BSX Shadow going 9.3 @ 149.50mph

60'..........1.512

330'........4.073

1/8th......6.112 @ 120.36mph

1/4.........9.397 @ 149.50mph

So you can clearly see that even the Laser would need to go almost 2 Full tenths Faster to the 330' in order to run 9.30's at only 150mph! IF the Charger could 330' like that It would be going 9.70's as it sits!

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

turbo addict

Excellent comparo. I still think that due to Warren's extra weight, that you will see higher trap's than ET's. Plus the fact that Warren's car is running at half boost I would presume, his car will really show once he gets everything dialed in. This will definitely be a car that I will be anxiously waiting on next year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Any consideration to getting a fancier converter that has a high stall but low slip %? Might end your transmission luck though...
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    Any consideration to getting a fancier converter that has a high stall but low slip %? Might end your transmission luck though...
    Brent, I like to squeeze every last ounce of performance out of a part before I upgrade so I plan on running this convertor for the time being. I am aware it is not near optimal for this combination, as I had it built for my car when I thought I would never exceed 400 HP.
    I have been experimenting with three different viscosities of trans fluid, and I've found I can vary the stall speed, but more importantly, I can vary the total slip by about 600 rpm. The most slip and best stall is with the lightest visc. B&M Trick Shift type F,(what I was running during testing) the mid visc. fluid is the tractor HyGuard or equivalent, and the highest visc.(above 30w) is the new ATI severe duty super F. I am aware I have just been covering up a problem with a mismatched convertor but for now I will just have to leave some performance on the table. I will sacrifice a few tenths for longevity.
    Last edited by Warren Stramer; 10-17-2014 at 12:01 PM.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I like to squeeze every last ounce of performance out of a part before I upgrade
    I think how far you went on a 50 trim was all the evidence a lot of us needed that once you upgraded again, 9s were not if but when and i think i am probably not alone in thinking that if it weren't for the necessary tuning/sorting time, you would skip 9s entirely.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast