Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A little bird tweeted in my ear.........

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

A little bird tweeted in my ear.........

Man, what a fall we've been having! Weather is so nice it's Almost like summer. I guess it's all thanks to the Strong Southerly winds we've had lately.

So there I was, working on one of my back buildings, when a little bird from the south (must have gotten Blown up here with the wind) tweets a little news in my ear.............

Preliminary results;

Warren Stramer Laser XT

1/8th mile results

60'.......1.580

330'.....4.261

1/8th...6.358@118.17mph

Just a preliminary "tuning" run lol! as the South winds that are bringing us CND's summer all over again, kept the track down to 1/8th mile blowing leaves across the track and making conditions sketchy for full passes.

Prob a stroke of luck though, as the Laser is Out of fuel above 5800RPM on the 95lb inj's! Even running the 1/8th was getting Dangerously lean, shifting into 3rd was definitely scary as AFR's reached into the High 13's. This was all on the lowest boost setting (hose blowing can open all the way) of about 25psi IMS.

I will let Warren fill you all in on the rest when he can. (for some reason he can't type anything anywhere on this forum?)

Now, I will leave it to the rest of you to debate just how far into the 9's that pass would have been IF it had enough fuel and IF they Were running full track.

My .02$...........9.6X @ 148+mph
    Last edited by Shadow; 10-13-2014 at 08:35 PM.

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

turbo addict

Re: A little bird tweeted in my ear.........

insane

is there more info on this vehicle somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    insane

is there more info on this vehicle somewhere
    Sure is, right here; http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...XE-coming-back

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Holy cow! Congrats on the times Warren!

turbo addict

On 25 pounds of boost. And motor is set up for double. Screw the 9 sec pass 8.xx at 155+
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

boostaholic

Me wants that 60ft!

ME wants that 330'!!!!!

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Outstanding!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post

Preliminary results;

Warren Stramer Laser XT

1/8th mile results

60'.......1.580

330'.....4.261

1/8th...6.358@118.17mph

Just a preliminary "tuning" run lol! as the South winds that are bringing us CND's summer all over again, kept the track down to 1/8th mile blowing leaves across the track and making conditions sketchy for full passes.

Prob a stroke of luck though, as the Laser is Out of fuel above 5800RPM on the 95lb inj's! Even running the 1/8th was getting Dangerously lean, shifting into 3rd was definitely scary as AFR's reached into the High 13's. This was all on the lowest boost setting (hose blowing can open all the way) of about 25psi IMS.

I will let Warren fill you all in on the rest when he can. (for some reason he can't type anything anywhere on this forum?)

Now, I will leave it to the rest of you to debate just how far into the 9's that pass would have been IF it had enough fuel and IF they Were running full track.

My .02$...........9.6X @ 148+mph
    OK, I figured out why I couldn't post here. For some reason Microsoft changed my compatibility setting during an update........I HATE computers!!!

I finally got to the track to dial-in this new engine/turbo combination, not knowing what to expect I had the timing backed off, and the electronic boost controller set on the lowest possible setting. I was concerned I would have a hard time spooling this 82AR turbine against the convertor. As it turns out, this turbo spools-up perfectly; actually it is better than the old 50 trim in that is comes on slightly more gradual helping the initial hit on the slicks in 1st. rear.
    I had drained the high viscosity HighGaurd trans fluid and changed to the low viscosity fluid thinking I would need it to help getting spooled-up during staging. Turns out that was a unnecessary move as this engine accelerates SO FREAKING FAST I couldn't shift it fast enough, hitting the rev limiter and having to lift multiple times on the first two passes making them basically wasted runs, But I recorded good data so they helped me make the right changes.
    The main problem I encountered though was that I found I was running out of injector at anything over 25psi and 5800 rpm,(had a hose directly from the compressor to the WG actuator by this time) the inj. duty cycle was going static above that. So as soon as I shifted into 3rd I was at 13-14:1 AF.I knew it would need bigger injector but not until about 32psi...I thought.
    That was when they decided to run 1/8 mile only because of wind and debris on the top end of the track, so I screwed the fuel pressure up to 55psi static, raised the rev limiter to 8300rpm and went back for another hit. Made a fairly decent 1/8 mile pass and could see on my way past the scoreboard a 6.3 something now were getting somewhere!
    Made another pass and concluded all I would accomplish would be to melt a piston, so I called it a day.

I must admit I am very surprised at how this thing runs. I was hopping to take the car to the next level up in performance, but this engine (and I say this with genuine surprise) is on a whole new magnitude of power that I truly didn't expect. The few times I inadvertently let the boost go over 50psi for a second or two, its like getting hit from behind by a freight train, Seriously; I have a hard time keeping it below 8000rpm, as that is where it wants to run.
    I didn't break anything and have next season to look forward to.....Warren
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    raised the rev limiter to 8300rpm

Huh!?!?! What is required to make this happen? Of all the things I would enjoy the most I think just having a high revving 4 cylinder would be the most fun.

Huh!?!?! What is required to make this happen? Of all the things I would enjoy the most I think just having a high revving 4 cylinder would be the most fun.
    Huge ports, big solid roller cam, and ancillary equipment to make it live. The easy way would be a 16V transplant. This 8V took a lot of special one-off parts.
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

turbo addict

Huge ports, big solid roller cam, and ancillary equipment to make it live. The easy way would be a 16V transplant. This 8V took a lot of special one-off parts.
    So just so I can safely feel like its well out of reach, getting the 8V to rev to 8300 took alot of bottom end balancing, rod upgrades, special machining, and the valvetrain has pretty much every part replaced with something custom right?

So just so I can safely feel like its well out of reach, getting the 8V to rev to 8300 took alot of bottom end balancing, rod upgrades, special machining, and the valvetrain has pretty much every part replaced with something custom right?
    If high rpm is what your after with an 8V the easiest way would be with a strong bottom end (good forged stuff) a reasonably well ported head and a solid lifter NA slider race cam. I know circle track guys run these engine all night long over 8000rpm with that style valve train. Don't know if they are making power there, or if it would be the best combination for a turbo motor (maybe, maybe not) but it has been done.

turbo addict

If high rpm is what your after with an 8V the easiest way would be with a strong bottom end (good forged stuff) a reasonably well ported head and a solid lifter NA slider race cam. I know circle track guys run these engine all night long over 8000rpm with that style valve train. Don't know if they are making power there, or if it would be the best combination for a turbo motor (maybe, maybe not) but it has been done.
    Thanks!! I shall keep that in mind!!

BTW where are the videos and pics of the track? This is way too good not to watch

BTW where are the videos and pics of the track? This is way too good not to watch
    I don't have any videos of car with new engine, but here are a couple from the previous set-up
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5C0XXUkDLs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGwRREsGn0A

turbo addict

I don't have any videos of car with new engine, but here are a couple from the previous set-up
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5C0XXUkDLs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGwRREsGn0A
    2nd vid is awesome when you pass guy who had head start lol

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Warren is too modest. To attempt what he has done would be akin to walking off the street and challenging Yoda to a light saber duel.

Also, I don't think I can wrap my mind around what this car must be like if it blew away Warren's expectations. I'll probably be able to tackle that problem when I'm done with my upcoming paper on string theory.

that's just totally awesome Warren, but I'm not surprised. I've been looking forward for the day your car makes it to the track. now your going to need a parachute.

turbo addict

All I can say Warren is WOW!!! Excellent job!!! Btw, I am mulling over a new 8V Valve Train idea. Are you running a slider cam on your current setup?

Quote Originally Posted by ohiorob View Post
    that's just totally awesome Warren, but I'm not surprised. I've been looking forward for the day your car makes it to the track. now your going to need a parachute.
    Thanks Rob, If I continue pushing the car to its best performance it will need a lot more than a chute. That is where I'm at now; do I want to go through all the hassle of licensing, more safety equipment, more roll cage and all the expense and labor? I get tired thinking about it. (I will be 60 next year)
    Also, for some reason, so far I have not experienced any transmission failures of any kind (knock on wood). but I'm sure if I start cranking up the boost something will go BOOM! and that takes all the fun out of it; SO, I'm at a crossroads with this car that I've been racing now since 1997. What to do??

I would actually consider any reasonable offer to buy the Laser.......Anyone?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by glhs875 View Post
    All I can say Warren is WOW!!! Excellent job!!! Btw, I am mulling over a new 8V Valve Train idea. Are you running a slider cam on your current setup?
    Nope, no slider cam. I'm running one of two custom rollers I had made.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast