Thread: DRB II LCD Modification

Threaded View

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

DRB II LCD Modification

Hello! So, I recently bought a DRB II to help with some issues I've been having. After solving that issue, I got to wondering if the LCD screen could be improved upon. I've been working with controllers recently, and have become familiar with monochrome LCD displays, both character and graphic, LCD and VFD. So, I got to wondering if the 4x20 character LCD was HD44780 compatible. Well, not only is it compatible, it actually IS the HD44780 chip. This means that the display can be replaced by pretty much anything out there. The LCD that comes in the DRB II is not backlit, and there were a few times that I wished it was.

(stock LCD on top, with some HD44780 compatible options)

I have tried a few options. I have a Noritake VFD (Model CU20045SCPB-U1J) and I tried it out. It worked, but it has a stupid flaw whereby lines 2 and 3 are swapped. It was cheap and I had it for a different project where the line swapping could be programmed out. In the DRB II it's really annoying, but there are other options for VFDs (by Noritake or Matrix Orbital). Unfortunately they're around $100. VFDs aren't cheap. Just look for the "U-version" panel if you really want to. You might find a surplus one on eBay for cheap, just stay away from the "U1J".

http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...W5J&vendor=286

Getting it in to try out was easy. The 14-conductor ribbon cable on the LCD needed to be desoldered, the 4 screws removed, and the VFD fit right in it's place.

(VFD installation)

(VFD installed with dark filter)

(with light filter)

(blue filter)

(green filter)

(pink filter, which makes it look white with a pinkish reflection)

So, I tried the white on blue LCD I have. It's a bit dimmer than I thought it would be.

On backlit LCDs, pin 15 and 16 need to be jumpered to pins 2 and 1, respectively. To the experts, yes, I know pins 1 and 16 are ground and pins 2 and 15 are +5V, so please don't poke fun at me for reversing the black and red wires.

I also have a black on yellow version that I'll try soon.

One thing that's worthy of note is that the backlit LCDs and VFDs are noteably thicker than the original LCD. This means that to get it to fit, you'll need to replace the mounting posts with shorter ones. The posts are 4.5 mm hex with 2.5mm x 0.45 pitch and are 15 mm long.

To use the VFD you'll need to use 10 mm posts: Keystone Electronics part number 24463:
    http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...0MlCYzRAQwqOid

For the LCD you can use 12 mm posts: Keystone Electronics part number 24464:
    http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...0MlDV11wH0MxM9

To be honest, this is what I'll be trying next:
    http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Newhaven-Display/NHD-0420DZW-AB5/?qs=%2fha2pyFadugsZRC%2fBKGy2mkdx2%252bOYcqbfPjKTc QxEB12QUIUlVR6Ww%3d%3d

That is all.

Later,
    Jeff
    Last edited by Turbo SOB; 01-29-2019 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Added the yellow LCD to the picture