Thread: 1997 Dodge Caravan Help?

Garrett booster

1997 Dodge Caravan Help?

I just bought a 1997 Grand Caravan and have a question about this wonderful piece of non turbo engineering.

I got it for a great price off craigslist. It's a 3.3L with 4 speed auto. It has 194k miles. The only issue is the transmission shifts a little hard into 4th when you lift the throttle. But not all the time (does that make sense? ). The previous owner had his "mechanic" do all the work on it so I'm sure there's Dextron in there...

It's also rough shifting into first when rolling to a stop. But I think that could be the fluid as well.

I used to have a 92 Acclaim, 93 Acclaim and 92 Spirit R/T. The two Acclaims had 3 speeds so I'm new to this 4 speed thing. I'm ordering some FSM's on pay day so I can throw this Chiltons garbage into the fireplace.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Hybrid booster

Re: 1997 Dodge Caravan Help?

I have had the rough shifting into first when coming to a stop also. This was a 2002 caravan. I bought it new and took it to the dealer after a few thousand miles. They said it was "normal". 200K later it still does it - but not all the time. Maybe 10% of the time. Seems not to have affected anything. You can try and replace the filter and fluid. I am using ATF+4 full synthetic (if 97 and 02 trannys are the same). My guess it is the solenoids.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo84voyager's Avatar

Definately get the Dexron out of there and replace with +4. Then remove the battery cable for a few minutes. Reconnect and drive. It will shift very strange at first but will relearn and might fix the problem.
    Justin
    84 Plymouth Voyager LE 2.5 Intercooled Turbo 5-spd - Only 84 Turbo Van!
    89 Dodge Caravan ES 2.4 SRT-4 Intercooled Turbo (46 trim, OS Valves, CP Pistons, Eagle Rods, NPR IC) Built 31th trans
    91 Dodge Shadow Convertible 2.5 Intercooled Turbo A555 5-spd
    01 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.8 supercharged! Only 5K miles....
    01 Subaru Forester - Daily Driver
    07 Yamaha FJR 1300 140+ HP on 2 wheels
    85 Honda Nighthawk 450
    94 Bobcat 763 Skidloader 2.2 Kubota Diesel
    SV-SDAC Member

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

If after a while changing the fluid still hasn't fixed it, you could try replacing the solenoid pack. That's how the dealer fixed a very similar problem with my mother's 02 Stratus. They're about $125 last I checked, so obviously try the fluid first.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

Garrett booster

Sounds good. I'll get that done as soon as I get a day off. Thanks guys.

Anyone have experience with the ABS system in these? I need to replace a wheel cylinder in the rear and will need to bleed/flush the fluid. Is it just straightforward or do I need to verify the ABS module is in the home position?

Hybrid booster

From what I remember the ABS has nothing to do with the wheel cylinder - it is built into the hub. (on 2002)

Garrett booster

My concern is bleeding the brakes. Some ABS systems require you to put the module into a "home" position so you get full flow of fluid to each wheel. Some systems will go to the home position automatically during key on, some don't. I just need to verify if this is the case on my van. I'm still waiting for my FSM's but want to work on this on Sunday.

Thanks

Hybrid booster

You can bleed most abs systems fine normally without any special tools. The problem is sometimes air gets stuck in the abs hydraulic controller and the brakes will still feel spongy after bleeding. If that is the case just find some loose gravel and get the abs to operate by doing some quick stops, then bleed the brakes again.

Quick tip I've learned. Every time I change out the fluid and filter on one of the vans (or other 604 equipped vehicle) I've had or have, I always have to hold the two battery cables together for about a minute. Doing this somehow erases the stored memory in the TCM. If you don't do this and just disconnect it, the old data remains in memory and it will shift like crap.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

If you think there is Dexron in it and just drop the pan to do a fluid and filter change you're only going to get half of the fluid out. You need to bring it to a shop that has a flush machine so you can get all the fluid out and replace it with ATF+4. But be wary of the shop you take it to. I've sen a lot of shops use Dexron and add an additive. You should bring a case of ATF+4 and say, "Use this." Another thing is some machines when you add fluid to them, there is a certain amount of fluid that remains in the machine. My flush machine would have about 2 quarts in the bottom that I couldn't get out. So I modified my machine so the pickup can be pulled out of the machine and submerged into a container of the fluid I want to use. So the only fluid remaining in the machine is what's in the lines. I can't imagine that being too much and besides, that's the first fluid going in so it'll be the first fluid coming out so it won't remain in the vehicle. I'm a stickler for using the correct fluid in the vehicle.