Thread: Longtime Consulier Fan, Newbie here

Mitsu booster

Longtime Consulier Fan, Newbie here

Hi guys,

I stumbled across this forum by accident, but then again not really.

I have a bit of history with the Consulier GTP. I first saw one in 1990, back when they were the official car of TrackTime Performance Driving School. Jack Layne owned TrackTime and I believe he was good friends with Warren Mosler. They had two GTP's at the event I attended. I ran with TrackTime until it shut down, a few years after Jack sold it.

In the early to mid 1990's a guy named David Knox bought a red 1991 GTP and ran it with TrackTime for a number of years. It had a modified engine and would really fly. Eventually health issues forced him to stop doing track days and he sold the car to a customer of mine at our NAPA store. I believe the car was never titled.

He has had this car for many years but has not driven it in some time. His current plan is to put a Cobalt SS drivetrain into it. He just stopped in today (which is how I came to search for and discover this site) and said that he will be retiring soon so he should have time finally to complete this.

I've followed Mr. Mosler's cars for a long time and in April 2011 I arranged a visit to the Mosler plant. The MT900S was still being built and in fact they told me all about the planned 2012 car which never materialized save for the one example.

As I said, the family business is a large NAPA store, and as a result I have a unique relationship with the NAPA cataloging people. I am personally responsible for getting both the Consulier GTP and the Mosler MT900S listed in the NAPA catalog. It took a lot of research to get the data correct; emails to Mr. Mosler (who was generous with his time) were very helpful.

I have also managed to put together a list of GTP and MT900S VINs that have records on CarFax. I haven't updated this list in about a year but it gives you a good representation of the vehicle population. If anyone wants a copy of this list, PM me. I found 37 GTP's - 10 1988's, 22 1990's, 4 1991's and only 1 1992. Notice I did not find any 1989's. I also found two 1996 Consulier-style VINs which I guess are maybe Intruder/Raptor cars or maybe remaining GTPs? In addition I found 25 MT900S, 18 2004's and 7 2009's, but there might be more 2009s without records yet. I also have the VIN for the 2012 RaptorGTR.

I hope to learn more still about these groundbreaking cars from you members here (common thought says the McLaren F1 was the first production carbon monocoque car, but history seems to have forgotten the GTP), but also I hope I can bring a unique perspective on these cars to you folks too.

Matt
    Last edited by mattjs33; 10-08-2014 at 05:29 PM.

turbo addict

Re: Longtime Consulier Fan, Newbie here

Matt,
    welcome to the site!

i am a Consulier owner, and have started. Www.consuliergtp.com to try to get info out there about the cars.
    i would love to have any info you have. Would you email me?

GLHS289@hotmail.com

thank you,
    Johnny
    1990 Consulier GTP targa
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Mitsu booster

Hi Johnny,

You'll be happy to know it was your site that led me here!

I have some pics to share but this board works a little differently than other forums I'm used to.

I'll get that VIN list over to you as soon as I can.

Off-topic: I have a lot of interest in low-volume, non-mainstream cars like this. I run Koenigsegg-Registry.net so I know how much labor these things require. I found your site very resourceful, you've done a nice job so far!

turbo addict

Koenigsegg-Registry.net

Only think I think you should do to this site is give an explanation of what the cars are.
    Where are they made...etc.

I apologize, I never heard of them before.

Johnny
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

turbo addict

Hybrid booster

Great to have another enthusiast chime in. It's really cool to find someone that knows about the cars and even better to have someone with actual historical knowledge of the cars on the site.
    We've done a lot of digging up to this point to find information and it seems that when the right person gets involved we gain so much more.
    Glad to have you here! I'm kind of a newbie here myself.

Mitsu booster

I will steer the owner of that red '91 to this site the next time I see him. He stops in on occasion, he lives not far and I've known him for a long time. He once totaled a ZR-1 Corvette 40th Anniversary Edition in The Kink at Road America right in front of me! He went from that right to the Consulier.

Mr. Mosler was years ahead of his time with regard to the way high performance cars are constructed today. It's a shame his name isn't more well known among enthusiasts. Yes the GTP is a little odd looking to some but that wasn't really it's raison d'etre. I'm no world's authority on anything but I've got a bit of knowledge on the MT900S as well; I know it's a Consulier board but if anyone has any questions on that, feel free to fire away.