Thread: SMEC tuning, Throttle / boost correlation

Hybrid booster

SMEC tuning, inconsistant boost problems

I'm running a BB flashable SMEC, tuning is going fairly well but I have an interesting problem.
    If I stab the throttle and hold it, it will only boost to about 7-8 psi. If I ease into it, it will hit 16psi ( where it's set )

So far I've tried changing all of the boost parameters to the same number thinking that it was possibly the
    FromRPM,FromSpeed,FromTemp,FromThrottle are ALL set to the same value and are flat across the board for testing.

TPS voltage is a little on the low side ( 3.6v at WOT ) but I'm not thinking it's the TPS because it didn't do this with the original ECU or the new ECU with the original program flashed to it.

Point me in the right direction.
    Last edited by player1up; 10-08-2014 at 09:06 AM.

turbo addict

Re: SMEC tuning, Throttle / boost correlation

What is the part throttle boost limit set at?

Also what is the low boost setting set at and make sure there is no low boost switch set up.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Hybrid booster

FromThrottle was what I thought of first. I currently have them all set the same, 16.429 across the table in a straight line
    HighBoostSwitchSelect is 00 ( nothing selected )
    AllowedBoostLo is Raw 95 ( PSI 16.429 )

Oh, this is a +40 3bar cal T2 boost control setup

Could it be a bad WG solenoid?
    Last edited by player1up; 10-07-2014 at 09:52 PM.

turbo addict

You wouldn't happen to have a manual boost controller you could use for diagnosis would you or one you could borrow? Im asking because you might have a mechanical issue causing the problems. Either a wastegate issue or a flow issue.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Hybrid booster

I do have one, but it's in a box... somewhere in the garage.... I'd almost rather ask the wife permission to buy one instead of digging

Hybrid booster

Well, a lot of fiddling around with stuff and it's fixed... I cleaned the WG solenoid, double checked all of my vac lines, checked the WG and actuator, but nothing changed so I kept coming back to the fact that it was working with the old cal... Dropped the old cal on and the problem went away.
    Well not so much the old cal. I switched from an old 16k D-cal calibration based on the stock one to the MPTune style and the behavior started.
    I then took the old file and brought over the main settings for boost, fuel, timing, scaling and the old file runs just fine.
    I'd really like to use the MPTune templates for ease of use and all of the settings that has. I'm just not sure where I went wrong with the template.
    Seems that I've been over the template a million times and I still can't see what I'm missing.
    I guess it's time for some patience and another long hard look.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

if you have the dcal bin and tbl files you can try "upgrading" them using mptune to the mptune style. then you could use do a comparison file. let me know and i can try to help you.

pm me if you want.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by player1up View Post
    Well, a lot of fiddling around with stuff and it's fixed... I cleaned the WG solenoid, double checked all of my vac lines, checked the WG and actuator, but nothing changed so I kept coming back to the fact that it was working with the old cal... Dropped the old cal on and the problem went away.
    Well not so much the old cal. I switched from an old 16k D-cal calibration based on the stock one to the MPTune style and the behavior started.
    I then took the old file and brought over the main settings for boost, fuel, timing, scaling and the old file runs just fine.
    I'd really like to use the MPTune templates for ease of use and all of the settings that has. I'm just not sure where I went wrong with the template.
    Seems that I've been over the template a million times and I still can't see what I'm missing.
    I guess it's time for some patience and another long hard look.
    SMEC? Did you DL the latest files? There was a problem with the switchable boost that messed up the entire boost control system. It would work fine at P/T, but not at WOT.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Hybrid booster

Rob, I'm using the latest download, shows Codebase:t-smec_v19.asm at the bottom.
    I have to believe if it were a problem with the software or the template that everyone would be clamoring about it. If I'm the only one having the problem...I'm likely the cause

I managed to make some progress. I think I'm just waaayy over thinking this whole thing. Patience is the key i guess.
    I decided to start with the SIII cal since that's close to my rough target and car. Looked it over ( resisted the urge to jack with it except to scale for the +40's and unchecked the NO2SwitchSelect that was set to Speed Control Set (momentary) ) and compiled, flashed and appears to be working.
    It still sticks at 7psi when the throttle is "stomped" at say 2500 - 3000 RPM in any gear. Again, if I roll into it, it'll boost to the defined limit.
    Not sure if this is designed behavior, but I know the stock tune behaves differently.
    The progress is this -- I was able to consistently hit boost after a quick shift.
    I may change the vacuum routing to the T1 setup just to satiate my curiosity, but I'm going to let this cal simmer for a few miles before messing with it any more.

Oh, and I have to say major kudos for you guys for helping me! I know I've asked some goofy questions. Look me up if you're ever in central FL. I owe someone a beer
    Last edited by player1up; 10-10-2014 at 04:20 PM.

Re: SMEC tuning, inconsistant boost problems

The latest as in downloaded in the last month?

I updated it, but I didn't roll the version. I only do that for major changes.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Hybrid booster

oh...please hold...ok, done and done. I'll report back in a few hours

Re: SMEC tuning, inconsistant boost problems

There are also updated stage cals...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Hybrid booster

ok, So I ran that cal for a while and it didn't get any better.
    Here is what I'm running currently:
    The starting template is T-SMEC_22_MTX_SIII.tpl scaled for +40's

boost target set to Raw 102 ( 17.640 PSI ) in the following tables
    AllowedBoostFromTemp
    AllowedBoostLow
    AllowedBoostDuringStaging
    AllowedBoostPartThrottle -- also moved throttle range to: point1 raw 140 ( 2.745v ) point2 175 raw ( 3.43v ) ** this is due to the TPS sensor only reading 3.6v at WOT...and I've tried 2 different sensors with the exact same results. One was at 3.62v and one was 3.63v

OverboostFuelShutoffEnablePointFromMap = 18.678 PSI ( 108 raw )

cleared N02SwitchSelect: Was set on Speed Control Set ( Momentary )

I have verified this cal is setup for:
    CalCustomOptionConfigFlags2: Fuel based rev limiter and T2 boost control ( no change from downloaded template )
    ConfigurationFlags: TransFuelTPS, Charge Temp Sensor Enabled and A/C installed are checked. ( no change from downloaded template )

Everything else is "as downloaded" from the zip file.

Current run has about 15 miles on it.
    Current behavior:
    Coasting idle is about 1200 and returns to 950-1000 at speeds slower than 10mph with the A/C on ** for the first 6-7 miles.
    Stopped idle is 950-1000 with A/C off, drops to around 500 when A/C is engaged but recovers. ** for the first 6-7 miles.
    Coasting idle is about 1200 and returns to 950-1000 at speeds slower than 10mph with the A/C off
    Coasting idle is about 1200 and jumps to 2200-2600 at speeds slower than 10mph with the A/C on ** this does settle down to 950-1000 but takes 10-15 seconds
    Boost behavior is the same as before, stab throttle and it's stuck at 7psi, roll throttle and it's off the top of the 15psi gauge.
    Last edited by player1up; 10-15-2014 at 04:10 PM.