Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new turbo owner, needs tips

turbo addict

Re: new turbo owner, needs tips

I installed FWD 2.5" exhaust system designed for Spirit/LeBaron on my 85 Ny'er. As expected, fit wasn't ideal. I had to cut and weld in several places. I do exhaust work often so wasn't a huge deal to me, but wouldn't recommend this kit unless you have welder, chop saw, and skills to do the job.

I agree about doing custom work, but like Keito says mandrel bending equipment is very rare in your average muffler shop due to the expense. I know of one shop in MPLS, MN area that has a mandrel tube bender. That shop certainly is not going to do full exhaust for $150. If you have the skills to weld, you can buy assorted 90's and 45's and buy some straight tubing and weld up you own system. One of our advertisers Columbia River Mandrel Bends has very nice tubing at a great price. They offer many varieties to fit most everyone's budget. A 2.5" swingvalve or TU's 3" would be a big gain but are sometimes difficult to remove off turbo without snapping off bolts. They can be removed sucessfully on vehicles without removing turbo with log manifold appications like yours. That would compliment a nice larger exhaust system behind it.

What I have found is a MP stage II LM is a huge gain on a 85 G-head turbo car like you have. Way back in the day when these cars were new, my 85 GLHT went from running 15.8's at 87 MPH to 15.1 @ 92 MPH bolting in a DC (Direct Connection at the time) logic module. No other changes were made. These changes were made same day at the dragstrip. It offers better performance AND mileage if you can keep your foot out of the throttle. Premium fuel is required! IMO, the 86+ MP stage II ECU's were know where near as aggressive as the old DC stage II 85's were. Without intercooling the car or adding alcohol injection, better keep boost pressure no higher than 12 PSI. Run slightly colder plug (Champion RN9YC works perfect). K&N won't be much of a gain at low boost levels, but can be a gain as boost increases (as with intercooling).

If you can find used front coil springs off a shelby Z Daytona or other HP model, that would stiffen up the front end quite a bit. You could also use the front sway bar off the same vehicle for better sway control. A mono tube gas strut like a KYB gas-a-just or Koni would be a good combo if using a stiffer front spring. Not sure if KYB Gas-a-just are still available for the non L-bodies? If the vehicle still is running the 14" 70 series tires on it, a change to 15" 60 series tires is a huge gain. The vehicle actually starts to handle a little bit (haha). I would also change out the front control arm bushings using the Energy Suspension kit made for this application.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!
    Todd
    Last edited by 4 l-bodies; 10-21-2014 at 10:29 AM.

Mitsu booster

Re: new turbo owner, needs tips

First buy a wide band and boost gauge! wide bands can be bought for less than $150 nowadays.
    Next full 3" exhaust no cat/muffler, in our area theirs a few shops that will do it for less than $200 no problem.
    Next TBI cam and roller cam setup from non turbo car, can be had from junk yard for under $50
    Next graniger valve to 12psi and back the timing off to 10-11 degrees.

That's your less than $500 30hp no problem.
    Only other thing i would do is a computer and water/meth injection then turn boost to 14psi. Other than that your pretty much maxed out with your setup. You can maybe add an F1 or F2 cam from FWDperformance.com

Just for your reference since your new to these. Standard or T2 setups go air intake to turbo to throttle body to intake/engine. You have a log setup, that goes air intake to throttle body to turbo to intake/engine. The setup you have is very limited with what you can do but squeezing another 30-50hp can be done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12