Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new turbo owner, needs tips

Mitsu booster

new turbo owner, needs tips

hi, I have just purchased my first 80's turbo MOPAR vehicle. it is a 1985 Chrysler new Yorker, with a 2.2 Turbo. im looking for some help on modifications I can make.
    what ares ome fairly simple ad cheap modifications can make for some quick and easy power. I am pretty mechanically inclined BTW

any suggestions are greatly appreciated

turbo addict

Re: new turbo owner, needs tips

What's your goal?
    What's your budget?

Welcome to Turbo-Mopar.

Mitsu booster

my goal really isn't too out there I don't think, id like to gain something like 25-50HP, but I really don't know because I don't really know how much potential these cars have, or how much things would cost.

I don't really have a set budget.. that's kind of a moving target, so im really jut looking for the most cost/power effective od.. if that's possible

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

If you're only looking for a 50hp bump, look into 2.5" or larger exhaust first. Then consider a TII swap. There should be lots of resources with information on that conversion.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

'88 Lebaron convertible. RWD 408/A500/8.75" 466hp/511tq. First pass coming soon.... '05 Magnum R/T. 13.79@102 Member SWPA-SDAC. The Steel city chapter.

Mitsu booster

thank you for replying so quickly.
    so as far as exhaust, are you talking cat back? manifold back? and that would all be something I would have to have custom made correct?
    are there any changes I can do with the air intake? besides just a K&N filter?

Hybrid booster

I had that same car, here's some ideas from my experience. This is all assuming you don't swap to T2 and intercool it right away.

First, definitely upgrade the exhaust. Find a used 2.5" downpipe, and stay 2.5" all the way. I wouldn't bother with a K&N filter, the log style intake manifold is so much of a restriction you can basically ignore anything intake at this point.

Mopar Performance computer and raise boost to 11psi (not sure what the computer will run by itself, I always use a grainger valve to set it). Go to a colder spark plug (Champion RN9YC vs RN12YC) and change your base timing from the stock 12 degrees to 10 degrees. The plugs and timing will help to avoid detonation.

Swap in a roller camshaft and rockers. The legend says the 88 TBI (non-turbo) is the best and was what I found at a junk yard. This also makes for a smoother idle.

My 85 NY dynoed around 130hp/180tq at the front wheels with this setup if I remember right, not overly impressive but it was much faster than stock and a blast to drive. Most of these mods are cheap and very easy to do.
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron GTC convertible - a568 - 15psi FWD Stage 3, FMIC, TII Garrett turbo, two of the big ones

Mitsu booster

Hey thanks for the great tips. Can you point me in the direction of where to find exhaust parts, and computer, and more info on using grainger valves.

This is my first turbo anything and the first car I'm trying to modify

Hybrid booster

Having just bought my 2nd TM after the first oen being totaled from a tree limb falling on it, here are things I did that made an improvement as a TM newbie. Now take into account, this was on a '92 2.5 turbo that wasn't the suck through design you have. deleted the cat. This made a HUGE difference on my car mainly because the cat that was on the car was clogged and only allowed the motor to make 7psi max boost and it didn't hit that until 5500RPM. As soon as the cat was removed it hit the overboost and I had to reset computer to get it to re-learn the wastegate actuation. Then it would hit 10psi by 3500RPM. Next I installed a K&N filter. Granted the intake set up was different on my car. But just putting in the filter did effect boost in that immediatly it wasn't building as much boost due to increased flow. Once the computer re-learned the wastegate soledoid again to control boost, it pulled much better at the same 10psi of boost. After that, I tried putting in a bigger throttle body. This didn't work so well and I actually went back to stock throttle body. It wouldn't idle right, and was very sluggish on acceleration. I then installed the grainger valve adjusted it to 13psi and bypassed the wastegate solenoid. This allowed max boost to hit right at 3000psi and made traction from a stop in 1st gear fun to find, even with the 225 width tires I put on. Feeling brave, I decided to try the larger throttle body once again(came off a 3.8 V6) and this time is helped instead of hurt. But with the one piece intake being the restriction, it didn't make that large of gain. Never got it to a track or dyno, but I'd be willing to bet with those mods I picked up an easy 20hp over stock.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Welcome to the site. I would check out www.boostbutton.com. Rob should be able to set you up with an MP computer for the car. Do that and go to a 3" exhaust with a larger SV and you'll be making close to 20 extra HP for sure I would think.

Mitsu booster

Does anyone know where I can find exhaust parts for a new yorker, or is it something I'm just going to have to custom make?

turbo addict

turbos unleashed or fwdperformace can sell exhaust for daytonas spirts, all K cars are basically the same car, Id look into one of those systems.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

turbo addict

T2 convert it. Intercool it. 3 bar Tune it. Bigger injectors. 20psi on a Garrett turbo. Bigger exhaust. No cat. No muffler.
    That's the formula.

turbo addict

T2 conversion then intercooler then intake and exhaust with a g valve. If that's not enough after that then get a tune with bigger injectors

Quote Originally Posted by roachjuice View Post
    T2 convert it. Intercool it. 3 bar Tune it. Bigger injectors. 20psi on a Garrett turbo. Bigger exhaust. No cat. No muffler.
    That's the formula.
    That would net him an extra 150+WHP.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    That would net him an extra 150+WHP.
    I wish..more like 28psi if you want 300whp total on stock manifolds/head..ask me how I know :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nrocks View Post
    thank you for replying so quickly.
    so as far as exhaust, are you talking cat back? manifold back? and that would all be something I would have to have custom made correct?
    are there any changes I can do with the air intake? besides just a K&N filter?
    I'd go custom on the exhaust. You can take your car to any 'ol muffler shop and get mandrel bent 3" exhaust installed all the way to the bumper, properly hung and clearanced, for $150 I bet..thats what I did..dont try to weld up a kit yourself unless you already know you will do a great job at it..getting the angles right and doing it without a lift are pretty much the worst experience imaginable

Mitsu booster

Thanks for all the great tips, I am working on compiling all the parts and information, as far as performance.
    Right now I am working on replacing suspension components all the way around the car, as it was excessively soft and bouncy. I have gotten the rear suspension done; new variable rate coils, and new Gabriel ultra shocks, the rear is riding great just waiting on my next pay check to do the front end. Unfortunately for me though, the new coils for the front appear to be N/A

Mitsu booster

hey, does anyone know how to tell if my car has TRW or Saginaw steering gear?

Quote Originally Posted by nrocks View Post
    hey, does anyone know how to tell if my car has TRW or Saginaw steering gear?
    I believe the TRW unit is aluminum on the passenger side.

boostaholic

I'd go custom on the exhaust. You can take your car to any 'ol muffler shop and get mandrel bent 3" exhaust installed all the way to the bumper, properly hung and clearanced, for $150 I bet..thats what I did..dont try to weld up a kit yourself unless you already know you will do a great job at it..getting the angles right and doing it without a lift are pretty much the worst experience imaginable[/QUOTE]

Must be different in Cali
    There's dozens of muffler shops around me and I can't think of a single one that has a mandrel bender
    There's even a guy that drives around a box truck to the restoration shops that makes exhaust systems in the back, crimp bent unfortunately
    My friend had a 65 Mustang in a shop and the guy drove there bent it up and installed it on the spot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast