Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Muffler Recommendation--What's quiet?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Re: Muffler Recommendation--What's quiet?

That's the kind i originally had on my Dynasty. It now lives on my Lancer Shelby. I liked the noise level on the dynasty (had a 3.3L at that time) but it had a very metallic raspy noise whenever you got the rpms up very high. It doesn't do that on the turbo car. I like it for a turbo car.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

boostaholic

My lancer Shelby is a cruiser not a racer and currently has a magnaflow round flow through on it. I tried replacing it with an oval muffler from magnaflow and it sounded louder believe it or not.

I found a walker muffler 2.5 in and 2.5 out for a chevy colorado I am going to try. Yes I know it will affect performance but this is not my race car. If I want fast I have STI.
    Last edited by going4speed; 10-06-2014 at 11:11 AM.

Mitsu booster

I plan on trying the Moroso spiral flow on the turbo Rampage.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wecycle View Post
    I plan on trying the Moroso spiral flow on the turbo Rampage.
    I haven't tried that one yet, interested in what you think of it. Good to hear from you Dennis

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

I had a friend that had a Spiral Flow on his Shelby Z a long time ago. It wasn't bad. I still like the sound of the Borla XR-1 the best, but it's not cheap.

boostaholic

I have a Magnaflow resonator and Magnaflow oval straight-thru muffler on my 92 Daytona. Great sound and not too loud. Some drone at 3000 RPM thou

boostaholic

anyone try borla's?

turbo addict

Yes, see post #25

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I recently worked on a GTC, it has a 2.5" system, no cat, and a Flowmaster Hushflow muffler, it had a wicked tone but ZERO drone, which is hard to do with an automatic.

Flowmaster regular mufflers work great, I dynoed my van with one and without, not much difference in power, but they are loud inside. Borla's are great, as are Ultraflow and the Magnaflow.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Mitsu booster

I'm wondering about the new dynomax VT. It's got a straight-through design with a valve that open with pressure. I don't know if it would be good for a turbo engine but it sure is a great compromize between sound and performance. I also read somewhere that the v6 3.0l muffler is a good upgrade.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyMike87 View Post
    I'm wondering about the new dynomax VT. It's got a straight-through design with a valve that open with pressure. I don't know if it would be good for a turbo engine but it sure is a great compromize between sound and performance. I also read somewhere that the v6 3.0l muffler is a good upgrade.
    I wonder where you read that? Vigo has a VT muffler, he still had to run a lot of resonators etc.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

I've installed two Dynomax VT mufflers so far.

One is on my 2.4L SRT4-engine'd Caravan. At first i stuck the VT on the end of an open 3" downpipe and it went from stupid loud to totally tolerable. Then i added another straight-through muffler in front of it (id have to go find the specs on it again) and the VT behind that with a side-exit. It's quiet at low load and loud-ish when you're in boost. It does not drone at all.

The other one is on my 3.8L non-turbo Dynasty. I have a 3" high flow cat and very short ~12" long glasspack down the middle of the car with the VT at the rear. It's barely any louder than stock at idle and still pretty mild at WOT. It doesn't get as loud as the van (i dont think it ever pushes as much air as the turbo 4cyl) and i think it's very pleasant.

The only reason i'm ok using the VT on my turbo caravan is because it spools so stupid fast and is not being pushed very hard, so i'm not too concerned about what the added backpressure is costing me. I have a strong hunch that you can put a screw through the bottom of the case underneath the flapper valve and hold the flapper wide open thus making it a 'normal' straight-through muffler. So my idea is i can run these as-is for now and then defeat the valves to be wide-open when i get serious enough about power to care.

Overall i am very happy with them!!

turbo addict

Dynomax ultraflo here. It was quieter than I expected.

I'm a fan of the Magnaflows. I've run Dynomax Ultraflows, bullet mufflers, and a few others along the way. Magnaflows have always had the best sound and more important to me, the least drone.

Currently have a 2.5" magnaflow on a T3 Shadow and a single in/dual out an SRT-4 and am very happy with both.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    I wonder where you read that?
    On the allpar or minimopar site i think but i can't find it anymore. Anyway, thinking about it, a turbo L4 must have a greater exhaust flow than a V6 exept maybe on idle. Maybe the guy was talking about a N/A 2.2 or 2.5?

All the stock turbo or v6 mufflers are close enough to each other that i wouldnt bother with the effort of swapping one unless you happened to have one already that wit fit perfectly, but even then i wouldn't expect to be able to notice a difference.

I would recommend the dynomax vt with the caveat that if you ever add a big/laggy turbo or go for big hp you should defeat the flapper valve open. It doesn't cost any more than a muffler without the valve so i see it as a pretty safe bet.

When i installed this last one i reached inside with a long flathead and messed with the flapper valve to see how the noise/sound level changed and even with it wide open it still wasnt 'loud' at idle. To me the muffler gives you options.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    All the stock turbo or v6 mufflers are close enough to each other that i wouldnt bother with the effort of swapping one unless you happened to have one already that wit fit perfectly, but even then i wouldn't expect to be able to notice a difference.

I would recommend the dynomax vt with the caveat that if you ever add a big/laggy turbo or go for big hp you should defeat the flapper valve open. It doesn't cost any more than a muffler without the valve so i see it as a pretty safe bet.

When i installed this last one i reached inside with a long flathead and messed with the flapper valve to see how the noise/sound level changed and even with it wide open it still wasnt 'loud' at idle. To me the muffler gives you options.
    Or maybe a VT would be a good partner with an electronic cutout.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

I kind of think the VT is basically a cutout that doesnt really 'close', i.e. if you put a cutout BEHIND a straight-through muffler and never closed it past ~15% you might get basically the same effect. But putting one in front is also a viable thing if someone wanted to.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I tried the VT muffler, it was awesome except the drone. If you look at one, the muffler is only half the case, so makes sense why it drones.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Mine didn't drone even when i stuck it on the end of the downpipe with no turndown and just dumped it under the middle of the van.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast