Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Muffler Recommendation--What's quiet?

Garrett booster

Muffler Recommendation--What's quiet?

For my 1991 Dodge Daytona with the small mitsu turbo, I'm actually upgrading my exhaust from 2.5" to 3". I didn't really plan on doing this upgrade but I happened to come across a cheap used exhaust system with no muffler. It does, however, include the catalytic converter.

To stay legal in my state I need a muffler. It'll probably be quiet enough with no muffler and just a cat but just for formality sake, I'm going to put a muffler on it. I was probably going to put a cheap summit racing glasspack on it but before I do, does anyone have a recommendation for a quiet muffler? These engines are pretty quiet but some mufflers add a raspyness to the exhaust tone that I don't like. I've seen a video on YouTube of a glasspack on a 3" exhaust in a Daytona and I didn't hear that raspyness, so that's why I'm leaning towards a glasspack.

I don't mind spending a little extra money for a quieter exhaust as I'm not concerned about performance. The only reason I was looking at glasspacks is because they are cheap. So in lieu of a glasspack, is there something even quieter for a sub $100 price?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: Muffler Recommendation--What's quiet?

Magnaflow.

High quality, and I just love the sound of the magnaflow muffler on a TM. Straight through design, but any raspiness than a glasspack would give you is mellowed out.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

I have been told my Borla 3" muffler is quiet. Probably not so much at WOT, but I like the sound.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

I like the chamber style of Flowmasters for turbo motors, I just don't like the price I've bought several 'Flowmaster style' from these full Boar guys, father son operation, made in the USA and 1/2 the cost of a comparable Flowmaster.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Single-Chamb...0b54f0&vxp=mtr

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

It's always been my understanding that chambered mufflers allow more backpressure than packed mufflers.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

I'd also point out that this depends on the header you are running. My car sounds a lot different with the header I have on it vs. the stock setup with a 3" pipe all the way to the exit for both setups.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Garrett booster

Hmm... opinions seem all over the place. Not a bad thing I guess.

Is there any particular style of muffler (glasspack, straight through, chambered, turbo, baffled, etc.) that is both quiet and/or preferred on our turbo dodges?

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    I'd also point out that this depends on the header you are running. My car sounds a lot different with the header I have on it vs. the stock setup with a 3" pipe all the way to the exit for both setups.
    A lot of that also had to do with the larger turbo added when the header was installed. The larger the turbine, the louder your exhaust will be, all other things being equal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bamman View Post
    Hmm... opinions seem all over the place. Not a bad thing I guess.

Is there any particular style of muffler (glasspack, straight through, chambered, turbo, baffled, etc.) that is both quiet and/or preferred on our turbo dodges?
    Turbo mufflers are the best compromise between noise reduction and performance. Straight through/glasspacks are the best for performance, but might also be the loudest.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

turbo addict

I found my k&n filter and intake makes a lot more noise than my 3 inch exhaust with a straight thru muffler.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    It's always been my understanding that chambered mufflers allow more backpressure than packed mufflers.
    I agree 100% But the Flowmaster style technically isn't a 'chambered' muffler. It has those inverted (yet incomplete, they don't go all the way to the outer shell) V formations to dampen annoying pulses.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    I agree 100% But the Flowmaster style technically isn't a 'chambered' muffler. It has those inverted (yet incomplete, they don't go all the way to the outer shell) V formations to dampen annoying pulses.
    Not sure about on TMs, but I know on V8s, the Flowmaster mufflers are always at the back of the pack performance wise in any muffler comparison test done. The design actually sacrifices flow for sound.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

The best thing for performance is a straight-through perforated-core (not louvered core) design with no baffles or chambers.

They do tend to be louder than other mufflers, but i havent found any of the ones i've used to be TOO loud except with auto trans because of the annoying highway rpms. On 2.5" exhausts ive found one 20" glasspack to be great for tone and volume level and they are $25 at Advance Auto etc. With 3" exhaust i've noticed you need more muffler to get down to the same noise level. That is where you go to oval-case mufflers in the back which put a bigger dent in the sound, and there's nothing stopping you from running multiple straight through mufflers, either. On the 3" side exit exhaust on my old Aries i had a 20" glasspack AND a 20" round magnaflow down the middle of the car. Im actually putting that whole section on my Lancer Shelby now which already has an oval case straight-through Dynomax in the back, so it will have THREE straight-through mufflers on it.

With a tiny turbo AND a cat, i dont think ANY muffler you can buy will be 'too loud' anymore.

I 2nd the recommendation of Jones Full Boar mufflers. I just bought a huge (30x7" case, wont even fit under a k-car) full stainless straight-through Jones muffler for my Caravan for $59 shipped from Summit. A similar Magnaflow would have been over $150 and this Jones muffler looks GOOD.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster

I run Spintech on my truck. Wonder what one would sound like on a TM.

Garrett booster

Vigo, I know you have a trailer hitch on one of your vehicles. Do you have any recommendations for a muffler that wont interfere with the trailer hitch?

Hybrid booster

If they will let me "test" the sound before I buy it, I will go try out one of these on my Spirit R/T
    http://thecoffinmuffler.com/

Vigo, I know you have a trailer hitch on one of your vehicles. Do you have any recommendations for a muffler that wont interfere with the trailer hitch?
    Not really. The first time i put a hitch on my Dynasty i had to cut the muffler off, bash in part of the spare tire well, cut off the excess of one of the hitch bolts, and have the muffler and tip redone at a new angle.

Now i am putting a different, bigger muffler on the Dynasty with the hitch and i am having to cut off and re-do one of the hitch 'supports', cut a weird spot welded piece of metal off the 'framerail' in the back, trim the LR fender liner, and have the muffler and tip put on to fit EXACTLY into the hole i'm making.

In general if you have a hitch i would avoid oval-case mufflers in the back (which is what both of my Dynasty mufflers have been) and run a round case of no more than 5-6" diameter so you can push it outboard from the hitch and still have it fit.

These are some examples with slightly different case lengths from summit:
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-12649/overview/
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-12619/overview/

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

First with a hitch I ran my muffler out the corner of the rear. Police were not a fan of this 1 out of 5 pullovers. No actual trouble. Then I put on a 30 degree bend so the exhaust could go straight past my trailer hitch.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Garrett booster

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. Vigo, the Magnaflow 12619 has been a top contender with me, along with a straight through glasspack, because of hitch concerns. I was thinking of an oval muffler with offset inlet/outlet configuration and having the muffler sit below the hitch. In my mind it seems like it will work but it may sit too low. I have air springs in the back of my Daytona that I can adjust the ride height to compensate for this, but it may just be easier to have a round case muffler.

I dont remember enough about how it all looks back there (or whether your car would have ground effects that would change things) to say anything more for sure. I suspect you wont be able to hang a 6" round muffler below the hitch without it being too low. If you get a muffler with offset outlet you might be able to rotate the muffler so only the offset outlet part hangs below the hitch.

If you get a chance to snap some pics id love to brainstorm over them but probably by the time you get underneath the car and look at it for a few minutes you wont need any help any more. Definitely post pics of whatever you end up installing!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I put the Dynomax Ultra Flo mufflers on all of my turbo Mopars and couldn't be happier. Definitely no drone that I have ever noticed. They are straight-thru as well.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-17221/overview/

They also have a mail-in rebate from Summit till 10/31.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast