Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: stumble problem wideband reads rich

turbo addict

Re: stumble problem wideband reads rich

I have shaken the harness to no avail. I'll try the hot wire on the ASD to see if that stops the issue. The ecu sets no codes when this occurs. The omly codes are 23 and 31. The purge is expected and the other code is for a tbody temp sensor? So i guess that one is expected as well. Is there a way to turn those off?

boostaholic

I just bought this car. Just wanted to add some info that may be relevant.\

The stumble occurs and the wideband reads full rich
    When the stumble happens, the "power loss" light flickers
    When you shut the car off and then restart it later, the "power loss" light is on and the car will hiccup eventually and the light will go out.

This almost seems like the CTS is faulty, since when you disconnect the CTS plug to set timing, the "power loss" light will come on and the car will run very rich. I found the wires to the CTS plug were pretty close to the ground cable on the head...wondered if the wires were shorting intermittently and causing the stumble...I wrapped the CTS wires but it hasn't stumbled yet. I think maybe the sensor itself may be bad.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Code 22 will set and not reset till the battery is disconnected or the ECM is unplugged.

Working on clearing the decks.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

The power loss light flickering could be the CEL on knock retard is selected in the cal. Verify looking at the cal first, to see that is the case.
    If it is, it just mean during the stumble you are getting a timing retard.
    I would look again at the TPS and wiring. If it's an aftermarket one sometimes they develop a dead spot that when you hit it voltage can drop or spike, creating a problem for the ecu.
    Also i had something similar that turned out to be a failing then totally failed ignition coil. A misfire or series of misfires will create some similar symptoms.
    Does it have a stock coil? Or aftermarket?
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

boostaholic

Stock replacement coil....looks like an oreilly's coil. I may throw some colder NGK plugs in gapped to .025" The power loss light will stay on after I start the car and remain on while driving for a few minutes and then it will stumble and the light will go out. Sometimes when it stumbles, the light will flicker slightly like what you said...maybe a knock retard.
    I know that now, sometimes when slowing down from the highway and then turning a corner and rolling back into the throttle, the car will bog down and stumble bad enough to have to let out and pump the gas a few times. I also noticed that the car will sometimes hesitate when you nail the gas....it will start to take off, then hesitate, then take off.....the fuel pressure gauge dips when this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    The power loss light flickering could be the CEL on knock retard is selected in the cal. Verify looking at the cal first, to see that is the case.
    If it is, it just mean during the stumble you are getting a timing retard.
    I would look again at the TPS and wiring. If it's an aftermarket one sometimes they develop a dead spot that when you hit it voltage can drop or spike, creating a problem for the ecu.
    Also i had something similar that turned out to be a failing then totally failed ignition coil. A misfire or series of misfires will create some similar symptoms.
    Does it have a stock coil? Or aftermarket?

boostaholic

ok so gonna bring up an old thread.. i too am experiancing this kind of cruise and stumble... same symptoms... except mine has a twist... car get to op tem 15-10'' vac cruising 65 car will stumble, burp, hicup, fart, pop.. what ever just for a breif second then yes the wb shows pig rich... any change with the trottle and it will usually richen up a bit... sometime it will go into a funky atl mode where if (at cruising throttle position, just after stumble happens) i tip out of the trottle (not all the way) the computer goes into like a decel fuel shut off... this eventuall clears up a mile up the road or so... ive also had this same issue just shut the car completly off... starts right up with a key cycle...

NOW heres the catch... it WILL do this every 7-8 minutes and or every 6-8 miles traveled.. i noticed this on an hour long trip to a chapter meeting.. man was that annoying...

heres another loop only does it with a 3 bar map and the flashable computer... not with a stock sbec and stock 2 bar.... i have tried various map sensors with no remedy...

what does the ecu do in that time frame of cycling... to me it seams thats the computer is going back into cold start mode then doing its warm up cycle.. idk.. been dealing with this for over a year and a half now with no head way...

sorry for the long bump but sounds like this is a multiple issue with mulitpul people...

boostaholic

Holy crap man, what you describe is EXACTLY what happens with mine! 64-65 MPH seems to be the key speed for some reason. I have experienced the exact same symptom of almost like it's on the limiter decel fuel shut off....I've never pulled off because of it, but it will generally clear up and be fine and it doesn't happen every time. I also have a flashable computer. I'd like to swap in another socketed SBEC with the same tune and 3bar and see what happens. Sometimes when I restart my car, the power loss light will be on already and after a while, it will do the stumble and the light will go off. Also...if I leave my car overnight or longer wthout starting it, the battery will die. Had the battery tested and it's fine. I tried finding he culprit with a voltmeter and pulling every interior bulb I could find out, but to no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by 22shelby View Post
    ok so gonna bring up an old thread.. i too am experiancing this kind of cruise and stumble... same symptoms... except mine has a twist... car get to op tem 15-10'' vac cruising 65 car will stumble, burp, hicup, fart, pop.. what ever just for a breif second then yes the wb shows pig rich... any change with the trottle and it will usually richen up a bit... sometime it will go into a funky atl mode where if (at cruising throttle position, just after stumble happens) i tip out of the trottle (not all the way) the computer goes into like a decel fuel shut off... this eventuall clears up a mile up the road or so... ive also had this same issue just shut the car completly off... starts right up with a key cycle...

NOW heres the catch... it WILL do this every 7-8 minutes and or every 6-8 miles traveled.. i noticed this on an hour long trip to a chapter meeting.. man was that annoying...

heres another loop only does it with a 3 bar map and the flashable computer... not with a stock sbec and stock 2 bar.... i have tried various map sensors with no remedy...

what does the ecu do in that time frame of cycling... to me it seams thats the computer is going back into cold start mode then doing its warm up cycle.. idk.. been dealing with this for over a year and a half now with no head way...

sorry for the long bump but sounds like this is a multiple issue with mulitpul people...

turbo addict

I 100% fixed my stumble problem by disconnecting the wideband and running the stock sensor. innovate widebands are the worst, wish I had another zeitronix
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Are all these cars with this problem running SBEC's? There was some kind of issues with the TIII cals that was caused by something to do with the emissions reminder function. Maybe the same thing with the regular turbo code?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

Jaren were all the cals you tried turbonator based? Are you feeding the ECM a stock O2 sensor reading or a innovate nb signal?

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Are all these cars with this problem running SBEC's? There was some kind of issues with the TIII cals that was caused by something to do with the emissions reminder function. Maybe the same thing with the regular turbo code?
    Well...seems to be with the flashable SBEC's....at least two people with them having the exact same issue....I think it's interesting that the stumble disappeared with a stock SBEC and 2 bar MAP.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Hmm, wonder if my flashable V6 SBEC 1 is gonna have this issue....
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

That issue is related to the 'Emissions Maintenence Reminder Light' function. I added an option flag to disable it specifically for the flashable SBEC's. The issue is that the flash module overrides the factory hardware write-protection for the upper memory. The processors on-board EEPROM overlaps the flash memory, and so you get a conflict where both memory chips are active at the same time. It causes the processor to reset. The EMR mileage is updated every 10km (or 6miles).

The V6's have the EMR function, too. So, you'll want to at least comment out that code with your flashable V6 SBEC. it's easy enough to do even without a setting in MP Tune. I can walk you thru it.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123