Thread: Turbo Dodges take Lawrenceburg Indiana by storm

Mitsu booster

Turbo Dodges take Lawrenceburg Indiana by storm (pics added)

Yesterday the Lawrenceburg Indiana Car Show was invaded by two low mileage original survivor 1986 Turbo Dodges. For the first time this year my brother and I got his '86 Shelby Charger and my '86 Turbo Z together at a show. The show takes place on the downtown streets of this small Indiana river town. As we entered from the west we had to drive down main street that was already lined with cars and spectators. I saw one guy point to the cars and turn his adolescent son around to look at our cars as we drove by. A little farther down I heard someone else say how rare those car are. With all the street parking full we were directed into a parking lot and before I even got out of the car there were three people looking at the cars and asking questions. I have to say that for a couple cars that would draw some passing interest as recently as five years ago they are now drawing some real interest, it's pretty cool. We also took them to a local Coffee and Cars earlier this summer and we almost constantly had people looking at the cars and answering questions about them. 208 mostly beautiful cars there yesterday and 50 awards and I am happy to say that my brothers Charger brought one of them home.
    One thing I have noticed this year is that we are now grouped with the old cars not the late models. Yesterday the Top 25 late models were 1990 and newer and at a show three weeks ago were I won a Top 25 award the late model cut off was 2000. So in the 29 years that I have owned my Z it has gone from new car to late model to old car, 1986 just doesn't seem that long ago. Of course in that same time span I have gone from 32 to 61. I have a couple photos of our cars at the show yesterday but I am having trouble downloading them, I will post them here if and when I figure it out.

Last edited by kensz; 10-05-2014 at 04:11 PM. Reason: add photo

Re: Turbo Dodges take Lawrenceburg Indiana by storm

Great story, it would have been fun to see the attention. In the small town I live in we also have a cruise night car show, so I understand what you're talking about.
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs0075's Avatar

Great story, thank you for sharing. I've seen a similar trend in my area also. Five years ago my car was mostly ignored, now there is some interest and at least one person each time out asking me if it's true that GLHS stands for "Goes Like Hell".

Stephen: 1987 GLHS #0075, 1965 Polara 880 convertible
    SDAC National- proud member
    Western Canada SDAC- proud member
    www.wc-tm.com
    "I am not a number. I am a free man!" Number 6

Mitsu booster

Of course the week before a guy asked me what year my Mustang was. It is always fun at a show or a cruise to over hear some of the stupid stuff people say.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Awesome story! I have noticed the same trend this year as well. In the past, us FWD guys were kind of treated as the red-headed step child. But this year, I got some real respect at several shows.

Next year post up info on the show ahead of time. I might just be up for a trip South...

Mitsu booster

They have one in Rising Sun Indiana in early July to raise money for the high school marching band. Over 300 cars showed up for that one this year. Here's a link for this years Rising Sun Show. The Lawrenceburg show is part of their Fall Festival and usually takes place the last Saturday in September.

https://sites.google.com/a/enjoyrisingsun.com/car/