Thread: A/C always on sorta!!! help me its cold!

Garrett booster

Unhappy A/C always on sorta!!! help me its cold!

So I just noticed this s the weather changed here in Florida.

Even with the AC turned totally OFF in my 87 Lebaron convertible, cold air (and I mean cold as in cooled by the refrigerant cold) air continues to flow out of my vents.

The compressor is off, the AC is turned off, yet when I drive cold air comes out of the vents relative to the speed of the vehicle. I can actually see the condensation as as it blows out of the vents, making it look like the car is on fire somewhere. Even turning the vent system on and raising the temp to 85 NOTHING helps....so I assume the heater core is shot since its blowing no warm air, but WHY would cooled air still be coming out of the vents?

Again, this is not outside air, this is air that is somehow someway being cooled BY the AC without it running and flows relative to the speed of the car.

it is totally fogging my window up with condensation and at night its getting a bit chilly even in Florida.

any ideas?
    Last edited by TheSteve; 09-26-2014 at 05:16 PM.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: A/C always on sorta!!! help me its cold!

Do you have the defroster on? Because that will run the compressor even if the compressor switch is turned off.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Garrett booster

Everything is shut off. Cold air will come out of vents relative to the speed of the car.

Unplug your compressor or disconnect the low pressure switch. The switch may be stuck open or the compressor may still be engaging. I'd do the low pressure switch first, then the compressor just to see if the switch is bad. Worst case scenario, take the AC belt off.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

Possible the clutch is siezed to the pulley, or has some drag. Watch the compressor and rev it up, see if the pressure plate spins.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    Possible the clutch is siezed to the pulley, or has some drag. Watch the compressor and rev it up, see if the pressure plate spins.
    I kinda like his idea too.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Garrett booster

Thanks all! I will check all of these tomorrow and post updates!