Thread: Valve cover gaskets, anyone used something other than Fel Pro?

Valve cover gaskets, anyone used something other than Fel Pro?

Not against using them, just know that I haven't had good luck with the reusability of these without some leaking. Even first use wears down seemingly quick, like the gasket is compressing too much. There are a few on Rock Auto and I was going to try one of each and see which was a better fit, but if Fel Pro is the way to go, not going to worry about trying the others. Here are the ones available.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	119 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	51742
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: Valve cover gaskets, anyone used something other than Fel Pro?

I've had good luck with the Fel Pro gaskets.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I've had good luck with the Fel Pro gaskets.
    Thanks Mike. Being in the industry, have you seen the quality of the other brands? Just curious if any of the others are viable. Your opinion is highly regarded.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I've also used Victor-Reinz and Mopar (which may have been one in the same). No issues with any.

Describe how you install them.

I like to use tiny dabs of gray rtv to glue the gasket into the cover, let it sit for an hour or so to let it set up, then install the cover.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

First, I park the car. Usually I let it cool down before I do any work. THEN, after the car has cooled down (btw, already pulled the hood latch), I get a glass of water to hydrate. Using the proper tools and some work gloves, I remove the bolts....

No, I have tried that before, using some RTV in parts around the perimeter to keep it in place as I install. I have not waited for it to dry, but with a one piece I wouldn't think it is necessary. I have thought about using RTV all the way around, but that to me defeats the purpose of a one piece gasket. I mean, I don't mind doing it, but was hoping it would work as intended. However, if that is how the service manual states it to be installed (not sure if it is or not), then so be it. The first time I used one it held for a while, maybe even until I had to pull the valve cover to fix the valve seal (about six months). But I know from that point on the one I had on did not seal and the other one I tried to use didn't seal well at all. Both of those were initially installed without the RTV, but I did use it after since the gasket would not stay in place as it was installed. Not a big deal, just was wondering if one was better than the other. Sounds like they are all relatively the same in terms of quality and I just need to find the best method that works for me during installation that I can live with.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

The blue felpro gasket is too thick and squishy IMO. The oem gasket is thinner and a more dense material that doesn't compress as much and doesn't feel like your going to break the corner off the valve cover using a torque wrench. I have bought many of those close out corteco, victor reinz, old clevite, MCCord and several private label repackages from rock auto. Compared to known OEM gaskets they all looked identical.

turbo addict

Mopar gasket actually stays in tge cover, I never had any luck with the felpro staying. I've had my valve cover off like 5 different times working on the valvetrain and its still holding strong. Last I checked, retail was less than 20 bucks.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    The blue felpro gasket is too thick and squishy IMO. The oem gasket is thinner and a more dense material that doesn't compress as much and doesn't feel like your going to break the corner off the valve cover using a torque wrench. I have bought many of those close out corteco, victor reinz, old clevite, MCCord and several private label repackages from rock auto. Compared to known OEM gaskets they all looked identical.
    That may be the problem that I've experienced with mine. I know they look identical, but I'm guessing they didn't work the same?

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    Mopar gasket actually stays in tge cover, I never had any luck with the felpro staying. I've had my valve cover off like 5 different times working on the valvetrain and its still holding strong. Last I checked, retail was less than 20 bucks.
    That's good to know. I'd rather buy one that will work for $5 more than save a few and worry about replacing, RTV'ing, etc. regularly. I'll check with the dealer and see what they run.

Thanks everyone for the info and opinions!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

I had an experience with the Victor Reinz gasket turning rock hard and brittle, resulting in rather massive leaks. Side by side they seem identical to the Mopar gaskets, but I've had no problems with those.

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    I had an experience with the Victor Reinz gasket turning rock hard and brittle, resulting in rather massive leaks. Side by side they seem identical to the Mopar gaskets, but I've had no problems with those.
    Thanks Adam! I plan to go by the dealer and get a gasket soon. I need to clean up the gaskets on the Lancer too, but that's basically RTV and rubber ends. Car is leaking enough oil to leave a mark pretty quickly, guessing it's the rear main seal.