Thread: Exhaust options for H bodies

Exhaust options for H bodies

Just wondering what kits are available for the Lancer. Interested in going to 2.5" all the way back. Would need the swingvalve as well.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Re: Exhaust options for H bodies

I would expect it would be the same for all the K-based cars, except you may need to lengthen or shorten the middle section as needed.

Can you open up a stock swingvalve to 2.5"? Also I seem to remember that the l bodies were different, but are the down pipes all the same for the rest?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

All down pipes are the same. Our 3" g/p-body works on the SL.
    Last edited by Chris W; 09-21-2014 at 06:31 PM.
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

On my SL I am using the TU 3" swingvalve and downpipe, along with the 3" FWDP cat-back system with no converter and a Dynomax Ultraflo muffer. Fits great, couldn't be happier with it!

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Downpipes for L-bodies have some extra bends to get around rod shifter linkage. All the K-based car exhausts are basically the same. I have a 3" kit that came out of a Shadow in my Dynasty with a short length added. I bought two lancers with crush-bent 3" systems on them. One of them i swapped the exhaust with a 2.5" crushbent system from a new yorker and they swapped in one piece (have to hang the rear axle down to do this) with no mods. They are all very nearly the same.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Jon, next time you are out here you can take a look at the set up on my SL. It's a tight fit but works well with no squeaks or rattles.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Thanks for the input. I don't know if I want to go 3", but I guess I should if I want to do anything at all. Sadly I just sold my 3" thinking I wasn't going to use it on the Lancer but I'd like to waken the car up and a better flowing exhaust and a tune would do it some good.

Chris, I'll let you know when I'm back out that way. Hoping it will be sooner than later, but for sure I will be there around the middle of October to see Jodi.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

No harm in going 3".
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

No, but plenty of harm in having an auto trans with your 3" exhaust.

I've never found 3" exhaust to be annoying except on autos. But you can just add mufflers. Most of the people who complain about exhaust noise on 3" systems really arent trying very hard. There is room for a huge muffler (and a small one, or just two medium ones) down the middle of the car and a pretty big one in the back too. There is a 6" round magnaflow with a 30" case length that will fit down the middle even if you run a cat and basically whatever you want in the back. It costs a little more to run more than one muffler but it still makes more sense than the complaining some people do who run just one. My only real rule of thumb is everything has to be 'straight through' perforated core with no baffles or chambers etc. There's enough selection on the summit website to keep you busy messing with the search filters for hours. I bought a full stainless 30" long 7" round 3"in/out muffler for my van for $59 shipped from summit and it's borderline TOO quiet!

Dont push the red button.You hear me?